GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

The best strategy to improve VERBAL

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
The best strategy to improve VERBAL  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 13:33
Hi all,

I'm a non native speaker and im currently having a lot of problems of the Verbal section. I wonder if someone can recommend me the best GMAT course, club, website, etc to improve significantly in Verbal! I've already presented two GMAT tests, and spent infinite hours practicing verbal. However, I don't see any improvement, I have studied with Magoosh, Veritas and E-GMAT (but not that much) and the latterhas been the best guide. However, I would appreciate further recommendations!!

Test 1: Q 45 V 25
Test 2: Q48 V 21 !!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The best strategy to improve VERBAL  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 15:39
Hi cfsanchez,

To start, are the two Scores that you listed Official GMAT Scores or practice CAT/mock Scores? Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) Have you used any additional study materials besides the courses you listed?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 23:29
Were these scores from the official tests? What are your weak areas in Verbal (SC, RC, CR)? In how much time are you planning to take the GMAT? I've found Manhattan to be a great resource for Verbal.

Generally, good reading habits translate well into efficiently learning Verbal. I would suggest if you have some time to spare, spend 15-30 mins reading good books, magazines, journals etc.

Need Kudos to unlock next tier. Please give Kudos if you found my reply helpful. TIA!

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 23:44
You've completed all the great courses available for verbal. That being said, are you spending enough time on reviewing the questions? There's this section on egmat called scholaranium I suggest you go through each and every question there thoroughly..just don't review the right answers also review all the wrong ones and identify why they were wrong. One more thing, you have to solve all the Official questions including the official guides and the question pack. for RC, you just have to practice..3 passages a day will suffice. you will improve. Goodluck :)

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 04:10
Hi! Which specific sub-section in Verbal, are you facing most problems in?

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
The best strategy to improve VERBAL  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 18:06
Hi cfsanchez,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Regarding the best verbal resources, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

If you’d like some further advice on how to study GMAT verbal, feel free to reach back out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 12:23
cfsanchez wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a non native speaker and im currently having a lot of problems of the Verbal section. I wonder if someone can recommend me the best GMAT course, club, website, etc to improve significantly in Verbal! I've already presented two GMAT tests, and spent infinite hours practicing verbal. However, I don't see any improvement, I have studied with Magoosh, Veritas and E-GMAT (but not that much) and the latterhas been the best guide. However, I would appreciate further recommendations!!

You have studies Magoosh, Veritas and e-GMAT and you have said your score did not improve. What your strategies were during studying these courses?

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 13:59
cfsanchez wrote:
Hi all,

Try all the free videos (for verbal) of Ron first, and take a mock on verbal part. I think, your verbal score will improve.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ron+verbal

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 17:52
Hi cfsanchez.

I've seen non-native speakers score in the mid to upper 40's in verbal. How did they do so, even though not in every case was their English great?

They realized that scoring high on GMAT verbal is not only about understanding English but also about being very careful, noticing key details, and using logic effectively.

With that in mind, here's the key to driving up your verbal score.

You have to go through dozens of verbal questions and learn to CLEARLY and THOROUGHLY define why each wrong answer is wrong and each right answer is right. When I say "thoroughly," I mean go well beyond using gimmicky reasons like "irrelevant," "too extreme," or "awkward." You need to come up with well developed, logical reasons for eliminating or choosing choices.

For example, in answering a Weaken question, you would not simply call an answer choice "irrelevant." You would carefully analyze the relationship between the answer choice and the passage and come up with a more complete reason for eliminating it, such as, "This choice weakens the wrong conclusion," or "This choice does not attack the relationship between the premises and the conclusion, but rather seems to attack but does not successfully attack one of the premises."

It may take 20 minutes, or more, per question to analyze them in this way at first, but being skilled in this type of analysis is the only way to score high in verbal. Less sophisticated analysis gets people lower scores, as you have experienced. So, you need to practice analyzing questions in this way, even questions that you have already seen, and take your time, seeking to speed up by developing skill.

Also, practice being careful enough to get almost all verbal questions right. See how many you can get right in a row.

It can take a fair amount of work to move a verbal score higher. So, be ready to analyze a lot of questions, do a lot of practicing, and really develop yourself.

Marty Murray
Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The best strategy to improve VERBAL   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2019, 17:52

The best strategy to improve VERBAL

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap