GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 12:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

95% (00:31) correct 5% (00:28) wrong based on 461 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From the GMAT Club Grammar book:

21. The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest, therefore they were not only cold and
tired but too they were hungry
a) they were not only cold and tired but too they were hungry
b) they had not only cold and tired but also much hunger
c) they were not only cold and tired but also hungry
d) because they had been cold and tired, they also had hungry
e) they were cold and tired in the event that they were hungry too

"Therefore" is an adverb, so there is no conjunction between the two clauses (i.e. a Run-On problem) in the correct answer. Therefore, why is the official answer correct?

Edit: Formatting
Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 16:39
Words such as - however, therefore,moreover,etc are known as adverbial conjunctions or conjunctive adverbs.
They can be used to join a Main clause (independent clause) with a Subordinate clause (dependent clause). Such as the case in this sentence.
In the past there has been a debate about the use of such adverbial conjunctions with few grammatical purist saying that coordinating conjunctions such as 'so' should be used to join two clauses instead. But GMAT ( sentences in OG) allows the use of therefore, however etc. Hence it is the OA.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 20:36
Quote:
dentobizz wrote: Words such as - however, therefore,moreover,etc are known as adverbial conjunctions or conjunctive adverbs.
They can be used to join a Main clause (independent clause) with a Subordinate clause (dependent clause). Such as the case in this sentence.

this would be a biggest mistake!! . what u have said is true for "british" english; however, for "american" english it is outright wrong.

Quote:
But GMAT ( sentences in OG) allows the use of therefore, however etc.

i would like to see if u can cite some OG SC. please note that i am specifically talking about OG SC and not sentences from OG CR or OG reading comprehensions

The original poster: your doubts are genuine. in fact this question is flawed and by standards of american english and of GMAC, this question should be ignored !!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 06:56
Thanks both for the reply. However, I am still not sure who is right. I was looking in the Magoosh material, and what I saw was the following:
Subordinative clauses can be introduced by relative pronouns and relative adverbs. However, the relative adverbs that it list are: where, when, why, wherever and whenever. Magoosh doesn't list "therefore" as a relative adverb. I did a double check in the oxford dictionary, and there too I saw that "therefore" is not a relative adverb.

So I keep my question, is this answer correct? "therefore" doesn't seem to be a relative adverb, so it should not introduce a full sentence.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 07:10
Just to complete my observation. I found that conjunctive adverbs (e.g. therefore, however) are used to show relationship between two independent clauses, and not to introduce a subordinative clause. I cannot post the source (I am not allowed to post URLs yet), but it is from the yourdictionary website.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 11:24
21. The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest, therefore they were not only cold and
tired but too they were hungry
a) they were not only cold and tired but too they were hungry
b) they had not only cold and tired but also much hunger
c) they were not only cold and tired but also hungry
d) because they had been cold and tired, they also had hungry
e) they were cold and tired in the event that they were hungry too

Rules:
not only,but also - idiom
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they &nbs [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 11:24

The boys spent the entire night lost in the forest , therefore they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap