GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Aug 2018, 10:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:24) correct 43% (01:33) wrong based on 274 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

(A) a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount

(B) a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite number

(C) the means of reducing for comprehending the nearly infinite number

(D) the means that reduces, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount

(E) the means for reducing in order to comprehend the nearly infinite amount

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Originally posted by trulyblessed on 14 Sep 2005, 01:00.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 27 Aug 2018, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined relevant portion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B
Re: The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 01:19
It's B right? I attacked it from the other end. guess stimuli is countable.
Manager
Manager
Re: The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 01:22
GMATT73, between A and B, how did you determine that stimuli is countable? Or is this just common knowledge?

GMATT73 wrote:
It's B right? I attacked it from the other end. guess stimuli is countable.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 01:32
Stimuli can be broken down, categorized, labeled, and archived = countable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 02:16
yes, stimulus is in fact a countable noun.

what got me thinking about amount was the word infinite but is should be
number of stimuli
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 02:38
Top Contributor
Stimulus is the singular word for the plural 'stimuli'. As a thumb rule, all plurals are countable.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan (MIT)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.69

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 05:00
If you cannot determine whether it is countable or uncountable, look for clues in the part that's not underlined in the sentence. In this question, we have "reach", which is for plural. Hence we can see that "stimuli" is plural in this sentence. Hope that helps :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 08:46
Hi, can a moderator add underline? It was a bit tough to understand the question without it.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 08:47
Hi, can a moderator add underline? It was a bit tough to understand the question without it.

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 10:20
Mankodim wrote:

Done that, thanks for pointing out KUDOS added.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 16:42
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce, in order to comprehend, the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

I have a question here...

Why comma is required between
...comprehend,the nearly....

Can someone explain modifiers in the sentence and what is it modifying?

a)a means to reduce
b)the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment

daagh GMATNinja generis

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 18:34
Harshgmat wrote:

a)a means to reduce
b)the nearly infinite amount of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment

daagh GMATNinja generis

Harshgmat , this sentence is well-written and very complicated in grammar lingo. I can understand why you are curious about it! :-)

I have never seen punctuation this sophisticated tested by GMAC in ANY OG question.*

The commas before and after "in order to comprehend" are needed to indicate that we are shifting for a moment to insert a SEMI-parenthetical explanation.

A true "parenthetical aside": Professor Melnyk, of course, laughed at the student's funny comment.
A true aside in the middle of an expression is always set off by two commas and can be removed from the sentence without altering its meaning.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" is a bit more than a parenthetical aside. Removing the phrase changes the meaning. But the phrase does interrupt.

Let's try the sentence without the commas.

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce in order to comprehend the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

To reduce WHAT? Without a comma, we have no indication that "in order to comprehend" is an interruption (is a shift in THOUGHT and LOGIC). At that point, "to reduce" looks as if it has no direct object or a very elusive one.

Without a boatload of jargon and a sentence diagram, the best way to explain all the commas is this: if there is a distinct shift in the sentence, thought process, or logic, use a comma.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" and its commas indicate that we are interrupting the flow of the sentence to explain why the brain must first reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli.

So we need a comma before and after "in order to comprehend":

1) to signal that the preceding verb "to reduce" is connected to the direct object "number," which immediately follows "comprehend"; and

2) to indicate that we are interrupting a verb phrase to explain WHY the brain needs to reduce the number of stimuli. That's a shift in thought.

Finally, the commas clarify meaning. The sentence is a bit unorthodox. Good prose often is unorthodox.

Are you confused by the meaning of the sentence?

Below is a very ugly version of the meaning of this sentence. Words in brackets indicate exactly that which the commas suggest without saying a word. I would rather read the sentence in the prompt (with the correct option B inserted).

MEANING:
The brain is [a type of] a stimulus reduction system.
[In other words, the brain is] a means to reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.
[The brain functions as a means to reduce the number of stimuli] in order to comprehend [a then-manageable number of] the stimuli.

Quote:

If I were to explain all the modifiers in this sentence, I would be writing for days.

The question doesn't test modifiers. It tests

-- countability: Stimuli can be counted. We can have an infinite NUMBER of stimuli.
Eliminate A, D, E

(C) the means of reducing for comprehending
--idiom: THE as a definite article in (C) ruins an otherwise idiomatic construction.

-- verbs: the verbs in this option make no sense. "Reducing" is a TRANSITIVE verb in participle form that needs an object. (Reducing WHAT?) "For comprehending" is not an object.
Eliminate C

Answer B

*Just to clear any concern that you or others may have -- punctuation this intricate would not be tested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 00:28
generis wrote:
Harshgmat wrote:

a)a means to reduce

daagh GMATNinja generis

Harshgmat , this sentence is well-written and very complicated in grammar lingo. I can understand why you are curious about it! :-)

I have never seen punctuation this sophisticated tested by GMAC in ANY OG question.*

The commas before and after "in order to comprehend" are needed to indicate that we are shifting for a moment to insert a semi-parenthetical explanation. (Parenthetical asides in the middle of a dependent clause always have commas before and after them, but this phrase is a bit more than a parenthetical, which can be removed from the sentence without altering its meaning. The common aside "of course" is a parenthetical.)

Let's try the sentence without the comma.

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to reduce in order to comprehend the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.

To reduce WHAT? Without a comma, we have no indication that "in order to comprehend" is an interruption (is a THOUGHT and LOGIC shift).

At that point, "to reduce" looks as if it has no direct object, or a very complicated and elusive one.

Without a boatload of jargon and a sentence diagram, the best way to explain all the commas is this: if there is a distinct shift in the sentence, thought process, or logic, use a comma.

The phrase "in order to comprehend" indicates that we are interrupting the flow of the sentence to explain why the brain must first reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli.

So we need a comma before and after "in order to comprehend":

1) to signal that the preceding verb "to reduce" is connected to the direct object "number," which immediately follows "comprehend"; and

2) to indicate that we are interrupting a verb phrase to explain why the brain needs to reduce the number of stimuli. That's a shift in thought.

Finally, the commas clarify meaning. The sentence is a bit unorthodox. Good prose often is unorthodox.

Are you confused by the meaning of the sentence?

Below is a very ugly version of the meaning of this sentence. Words in brackets indicate exactly that which the commas suggest without saying a word. I would rather read the sentence in the prompt (with the correct option B inserted).

MEANING:
The brain is [sort of] a stimulus reduction system.
[In other words, the brain is] a means to reduce the nearly infinite number of stimuli that reach the senses at any given moment.
[The brain functions as a means to reduce the number of stimuli] in order to comprehend [what is then a manageable number of] the stimuli.

Quote:

If I were to explain all the modifiers in this sentence, I would be writing for days.

The question doesn't test modifiers. It tests

-- countability. Stimuli can be counted. An infinite NUMBER of...
Eliminate A, D, E

idiom - "THE" as a definite article ruins an otherwise idiomatic construction.
In addition, the verbs in this option make zero sense
Eliminate (C) the means of reducing for comprehending
Reducing is a TRANSITIVE verb in participle form that needs an object. "For comprehending" is not an object.

Answer B

*Just to clear any concern that you or others may have -- punctuation this intricate would not be tested.

generis

Thanks for very detailed and eloborate reply.

This will surely be very helpful to other members also.

Keep it up!!

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 00:28

The brain is something of a stimulus reduction system, a means to redu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap