It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The budget for education reflects the administration's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The budget for education reflects the administration's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 22:50
chesstitans wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money be controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

- The BUDGET for education REFLECTS the administration's demand
-that the MONEY BE CONTROLLED by local school districts
-but IT CAN only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

Words such as demand, suggest, etc. require use of subjunctive verb. Subjunctive verbs are plural no matter the subject is singular or plural. (Though this rule is not in line with the "subject verb must agree in number" rule).

'It' have more than one possible antecedents in this sentence but the logical antecedent is 'money' because money can be spent. It doesn't sound right if we say ' budget can be spent.........'.

My doubt here is when we write- the money be controlled, can 'be controlled' be a verb for money as money is not performing the action?

I think there is a gap in my understanding here (in this question).

you are right about "it" in the original sentence, but I am talking about "it" in the option B, or in OA.
Also, you are right about money versus budget.

Option B makes complete sense because:

the money be controlled by local school districts, but BUDGET allows them to spend the money only

Budget makes sense here and is the logical antecedent of 'it' because it makes sense when we say that the budget allows the local school districts to spend the money .......

Budget is an estimate of income (allowance) and thus it (budget) decides if the money can be spent on something or not.

I hope it made some sense. :)

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 22:55
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Shiv2016,

Quote:
Little confused here with two things:
1) Can 'be controlled' be a verb for money?
2) In the last clause, what is the verb for 'it'?

1) Choice B uses the passive voice (ie "...demand that the money be controlled by local school districts...") instead of the active voice (which would be written, for example, as "...demand that local school districts control the money.." In either case, the local school districts are controlling the money, and the money is not the agent of the action.

2) "it allows them to spend the money only on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities." The subject is "it" (ie "the budget"), and the verb is "allows", where an applicable definition of "allow" (from https://www.merriam-webster.com/) is "to assign as a share or suitable amount (as of time or money), ie 'allow an hour for lunch'"

Hey !!

Thanks for clearing the doubts.
One more thing: in the original sentence, "it can only be spent...".
What is the verb for 'it' ? can or be spent?

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 07:21
Quote:

Here we have the passive voice again, and the verb is "can be spent" (modal + auxiliary verb + past participle). The subject (it) is being acted upon, and the agent of the action is implied rather than explicitly stated (spent by whom? by local school districts).

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 07:27
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:

Here we have the passive voice again, and the verb is "can be spent" (modal + auxiliary verb + past participle). The subject (it) is being acted upon, and the agent of the action is implied rather than explicitly stated (spent by whom? by local school districts).

I hope that helps!

Passive verbs are quite confusing but i get it now. Thanks for such quick responses.

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 07:31
tejal777 wrote:
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

A. the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent
B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

i eliminated 3 choices because the word "only" is misplaced
get rid of A,C,E
between B and D -- B is in subjunctive...

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Schools: ISB '20 (WD)
GMAT 1: 610 Q38 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge
The budget for education reflects the administration's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 04:41
tejal777 wrote:
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 05:45

subjunctive mood only B is correct

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 11:11
eddy8700 wrote:

subjunctive mood only B is correct

Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 448

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 12:21
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!

The pronoun "them" is definitely okay because there is only one possible antecedent ("districts" is the only plural noun before the pronoun).

At first glance, the use of the pronoun "it" seems ambiguous because there are multiple singular nouns before the pronoun. However, in this case, we have two subject-verb pairs in two clauses linked by the conjunction "but". In such cases, the subject pronoun ("it") always refers unambiguously to the subject of the first independent clause. Check out this GMAT Club YouTube video for more on this particular pronoun issue.

But don't worry too much if that rule isn't clear for now; just make sure you understand why the other four choices are wrong!

sumanainampudi wrote:
Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?

The GMAT might prefer the active voice to the passive voice, but in this sentence there is no way around the subjunctive. Choice (D) has to be eliminated because it does not use the subjunctive. If choice (D) were changed to "local school districts be in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only" (replace "are" with the subjunctive form "be"), then it would be acceptable.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 448

Re: The budget for education reflects the administration's   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2017, 12:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

The budget for education reflects the administration's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap