GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The budget for education reflects the administration's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
The budget for education reflects the administration's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2009, 17:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:44) correct 32% (01:03) wrong based on 1072 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

A. the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent
B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: The budget for education reflects the administration's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2009, 05:03
for verbs like request, command, demand, ask etc subjunctive mood has to be used...which is..
ask that X BE done
demand that Y BE done etc
You can search in google for more info:), just type in subjunctive and you shall get loads of resources
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: SC - GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2010, 11:31
I agree with all the above posters. As soon as you see "demand that" (or any other of the words in a similar category..."require," "propose," "request," etc.), sirens should be wailing up the street telling you to make sure that the demand is expressed correctly in the subjunctive mood. To do so, take the infinitive form of the verb...here "to be" and nix the "to."

I demand that he [strike]to[/strike] be arrested.
He obeyed the queen's order that he [strike]to[/strike] remove himself from her presence.
She proposed that you [strike]to[/strike] call after 9 a.m.

Ideally, you read the question, the appropriate alarm bells set off, and you go right to the answer-- here, only 1 choice uses the subjunctive correctly..

BUT...what if you don't see that error, or don't see it right away? What can you eliminate via other methods?

In this sentence there is also a split *after* the comma--the usages of pronoun "it."

Choice E uses "it" twice, to refer to both money and budget, so E is definitely out. Choices A and C intend for "it" to refer to "the money." Choices B and D use "it" to refer back to "the budget." There are several singular nouns in the sentence preceding "it"--"budget," "demand," and "education." Some students think that a pronoun must ALWAYS refer back to the closest noun, and would therefore lose B and D, but if we look at the structure of the sentence, we can see that the first part is in a fairly straightforward SUBJECT-VERB form.

The budget reflects (Subject Verb) ......, BUT ..... [the budget] allows [the districts] to spend the money...

The power of the subject position in the structure of this sentence is so strong that B and D are OK on that front.

What else could we look at to eliminate answers? Choice C uses a different form of "allow" after the comma than the other answers do-- "allowing." This is, in fact, a modifier rather than a verb, and is not parallel to either of the previous clauses ("The budget demands" or "the money is"). C is also out.

That leaves us with A, B, and D. There are few nuances that might nudge us toward the correct answer....you could make an argument that in choice B the pronoun "them," which is in the object case, is structurally in the same position as its antecedent ("local school districts"), which is an object because it follows a preposition (the money is controlled BY the districts). In choice D, "local school districts" is the subject of the subordinate clause, so all things being equal I'd probably prefer B to D, even in a world where I knew nothing about the subjunctive. That would leave us with A and B-- a 50/50 shot knowing NOTHING about the subjunctive.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you do all this unnecessary work while taking your CAT-- hopefully you see the subjunctive trigger right away and answer this question in 6 seconds flat. BUT if you don't see it, keep breaking down the sentence piece by piece according to what you DO know. This can be a good exercise when reviewing a question too-- even one that you've gotten right-- to see if you can identify other issues with the incorrect choices. The more tools you have in your bag, and the more flexible you are using them, the better shot you'll have at a killer score.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 10:27
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money is controlled by local school districts, but it can only be spent on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

B. the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only
C. the money is to be controlled by local school districts, but allowing it only to be spent
D. local school districts are in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only
E. local school districts are to be in control of the money, but it can only spend it

I have a problem with this one...

see below

I am perfectly aware of the command subjective...but in this case I chose A because it seemd to me that "demand" is a noun here not a verb (as common subjective) Can anyone explain this to me please

thanks
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Problem with justifying the Command Subjunctive here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:50
Why should we think that only a verb and not a noun could carry the mandatoriness or command factor? It is the necessity to comply with the said factor that decides use of the command word.

Look at this following sentence ‘Spoke’ by itself is not command word; It is the condition, a noun that implies the command and thereby justifies the subjunctive.

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they not be named in the press reports.

A. that they not be named
B. that their names will not be used
C. that their names are not used
D. of not having their names
E. of not naming them

The answer is A

Here is another example from Urch.com’s Erin

While many politicians have been able to abuse recent changes in the law, the original spirit of the bill was that it was equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status.

O that it was equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it was equally applied to all residents, and their socio-economic status did not matter
O that it was to be applied equally to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it be applied equally to every resident, no matter their socio-economic status
O that it be equally applied to all residents, no matter their socio-economic status

Here the command factor is derived from the word ‘spirit’ of the bill, which citizens are supposed to obey.

The answer is E.

Here are some tips for you from 800Bob

Quote:
“When a verb, noun, or adjective of recommendation, requirement, or request is followed by a "that" clause, the verb in the "that" clause will be in the subjunctive mood. But a verb, noun, or adjective of recommendation, requirement, or request does not have to be followed by a "that" clause.”

HTH

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 04:21
Although i choosed the right option. I am still not very sure whats the POE in the question.
It seems like it is infinitive and subjunctive way of reporting, but how does the right option corrects this //sm error?
Some help on this.

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:02
The POE involves only one factor that the subjunctive has to come into play since there is a bossy word –demand-; the second part is an IC that need not be subjunctive since the verb– allows- is simply an indicative verb. There is no formality that two consecutive clauses should both be subjunctive.

As per this scheme, you can instantly kick all but B, which is the only subjunctive form using the base form – be controlled-.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 07:32
Hello experts

Little confused here with two things:
1) Can 'be controlled' be a verb for money?
2) In the last clause, what is the verb for 'it'?

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:03
Shiv2016,

Quote:
Little confused here with two things:
1) Can 'be controlled' be a verb for money?
2) In the last clause, what is the verb for 'it'?

1) Choice B uses the passive voice (ie "...demand that the money be controlled by local school districts...") instead of the active voice (which would be written, for example, as "...demand that local school districts control the money.." In either case, the local school districts are controlling the money, and the money is not the agent of the action.

2) "it allows them to spend the money only on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities." The subject is "it" (ie "the budget"), and the verb is "allows", where an applicable definition of "allow" (from https://www.merriam-webster.com/) is "to assign as a share or suitable amount (as of time or money), ie 'allow an hour for lunch'"

www.gmatninja.com

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 07:21
Quote:
One more thing: in the original sentence, "it can only be spent...".
What is the verb for 'it' ? can or be spent?

Here we have the passive voice again, and the verb is "can be spent" (modal + auxiliary verb + past participle). The subject (it) is being acted upon, and the agent of the action is implied rather than explicitly stated (spent by whom? by local school districts).

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 04:41
tejal777 wrote:

I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 11:11
eddy8700 wrote:

subjunctive mood only B is correct

Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 12:21
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I understand that due to subjunctive rule, we ought to select B but the 'it' in the second part of the sentence is bothering me.
'but it allows them to spend..'

I get that the 'it' is referring to the budget but aren't we being made to assume that here? Generally such a sentence with both 'it' and 'them' in the same line and far away from their antecedents would have been eliminated for being confusing and not clear.

Explanation needed!

The pronoun "them" is definitely okay because there is only one possible antecedent ("districts" is the only plural noun before the pronoun).

At first glance, the use of the pronoun "it" seems ambiguous because there are multiple singular nouns before the pronoun. However, in this case, we have two subject-verb pairs in two clauses linked by the conjunction "but". In such cases, the subject pronoun ("it") always refers unambiguously to the subject of the first independent clause. Check out this GMAT Club YouTube video for more on this particular pronoun issue.

But don't worry too much if that rule isn't clear for now; just make sure you understand why the other four choices are wrong!

sumanainampudi wrote:
Apart from considering subjunctive mode, Can D be the possible answer if not B ?
Also as mentioned D is in active voice which is preferred in GMAT.
Can someone suggest the difference btw D and B not in terms of subjunctive ?

The GMAT might prefer the active voice to the passive voice, but in this sentence there is no way around the subjunctive. Choice (D) has to be eliminated because it does not use the subjunctive. If choice (D) were changed to "local school districts be in control of the money, but it allows them to spend the money only" (replace "are" with the subjunctive form "be"), then it would be acceptable.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:03
https://youtu.be/et0BTbx4jkM

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 08:01
tejal777 wrote:

The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that .......................................on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

In 2nd main clause starting with but - subject pronoun "it" refers to subject "budget" in previous clause. "Them" object pronoun refers to "school district" object of relative clause starting with the "that the ....."

pronoun and the antecedent agree in case and number.

Also note that possessive pronoun may refer to non-possesive nouns.
The budget for education reflects the administration´s demand for the money which is controlled by local school distrits and that can only be spent on.......

I chose D because it is not clear what the pronoun "It" in the second part of the sentence is referring to. So the options were B and D. I didn't understand the first part of the sentence, so I guess that my mistakes were there. I chose D and the correct answer was B.
Re: The budget for education reflects the administration's &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 08:01

The budget for education reflects the administration's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap