Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 10:29 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 10:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [6]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1752 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Re: The cat in the Hat, a whimsical story about a six-foot-tall cat [#permalink]
itsSKR wrote:
The cat in the Hat, a whimsical story about a six-foot-tall cat visiting two bored children, were commissioned, employing clever rhymes and interesting plot twists, in response to widespread criticism of the simple and boring primers that were then used to teach children to read.

A. children, were commissioned , employing clever rhymes and interesting plot twists, in response to
B. children, was commissioned and employed clever rhymes and interesting plot twists, as a response to
C. children, employing clever rhymes and interesting plot twists, was commissioned in response to
D. children, that employed clever rhymes and interesting plot twists , was commissioned due to
E. children and employing clever rhymes and interesting plot twists were commissioned due to

Hello guys!
Starting with this question, we can easily spot and eliminate the tiny errors before we proceed to the top 2 answers.

Eliminate Option A, E, it is referring to the whimsical story which is singular and the use of 'was' is essential and not 'were'.
Eliminate Option B, IMO, 'as a response to' sounds incorrect.
Eliminate Option D, it is slightly wordy and the construction is flawed.

Option C perfectly ends with 'in response to' and has a perfect construction.

Official Answer:- Option C

Thank you!!

Regards,
Raunak Damle :cool:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Re: The cat in the Hat, a whimsical story about a six-foot-tall cat [#permalink]
GMATNinja yashikaaggarwal

Still confused between B & C.
"was commissioned and employed" vs "employing clever .., was commissioned..." - can we evaluate on the basis of this?
If yes, what's the rule we should look for?
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2815 [0]
Given Kudos: 1511
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Target4bschool wrote:

"was commissioned and employed" vs "employing clever .., was commissioned..." - can we evaluate on the basis of this?

If i am not wrong, "was commissioned and employed" -- is depicting two verbs for one subject "The cat in the hat" hence making Subject verb agreement error.
Hence C is better than B because its segregating verb was commissioned from additional verb.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
The cat in the Hat, a whimsical story about a six-foot-tall cat [#permalink]
Kudos
Target4bschool wrote:

When we find 2 options as grammatically correct, we have no choice but need to understand the meaning of sentence and need to find out which makes more sense.

B says: Book was commissioned and employed clever rhymes and interesting plot twists as a response to criticism
C says: Book had clever rhymes and interesting plot twists . This book was commissioned as a response to criticism

After we understand the difference, we can easily eliminate B because commissioned and employed were not parallel activities, and rhymes were part of book . Note: book is already published , it already had rhymes.

Hence clear winner C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts