GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 09:37
Chef wrote:
Hi Mike,

In your second example of the explanation - I just read a good book which the doctor recommended.
Is the second part a essential clause?
I think it doesn't require a comma before which. Is that right? Or can it be both in this sentence?

Also - in the correct answer for this question, would the answer still be right without "in which"?

Thanks

Dear Chef,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the example sentence again.
I just read a good book, which the doctor recommended.
The way in which this sentence is phrased, the clause is presented as a non-vital modifier. Perhaps this would be in a context in which the identity of the book will be supplied otherwise, and the mention of the doctor's recommendation is just a detail. This would be an example of a sentence that is part of longer conversation or flow of information---like most sentence at loose in the real world, but unlike the GMAT SC sentences that are presented in a bizarre clinical isolation. This sentence, while 100% grammatically correct, would not be an appropriate as a GMAT SC sentence.

If we wanted to show that the clause is a vital noun-modifier, we would use "that" rather than "which" and we would drop the comma. For the majority of the time, particularly on the GMAT SC, the word "which" and the presence of the comma go together, signifying a non-vital clause; likewise, the word "that" and the absence of the comma go together, signifying a vital clause.

Choice (E) would be awkward if we simply omitted "in which." As it stands, choice (E) is particularly sophisticated and elegant.

Does all this make sense?
Mo2men wrote:
Dear Mike,

Excellent question that stimulates my thinking :-D

I have questions about choices D & E

Choice D

1- Is 'where' correctly used? my analysis is that it is correct because we talk about physical location so no problem. Am I right?

2- Is the phrase 'revolutionary potential innovations' correct or has problems? I think it is in for of [Adjective] + [Adjective] + [Noun], if correct, do I need 'comma' or 'and' between the adjectives?

Choice E

1- As I know 'in which should be followed by clause. Is there some ellipses? I understand the choice as follows:

'in which [the team can use] to conduct research into potentially revolutionary innovations'

Is my analysis correct?

Thanks in advance

Dear Mo2men,

My intelligent friend, how are you? I'm happy to respond. :-)

In Choice (D):
1) the use of "where" is technically correct, as it refers to a physical place; unfortunately, this structure prevents the direct use of the the infinitive of purpose. As a consequence, this version is somewhat more tongue-tied and punchless
2) the hypothetical progressive verb "would be conducting" adds to the wordy and sparkless feel of this choice.
3) On the phrase "revolutionary potential innovations"--first of all, on the level of grammar, this is fine. In English, we often have two adjectives in a row, without a comma and certainly without the word "and."
the big red dog
the hard grueling test
a warm delicious meal

We certainly can toss in a comma or even the word "and" for emphasis (e.g. "a clear and present danger"), but this is not necessary.
The problem with the phrase is at the level of logic. What is a "potential innovation"? An innovation is something new that makes a difference, so what is something new before it exists? It's unclear whether this has any coherent meaning, and certainly it has a very different meaning from the corresponding phrase in the prompt. This changes the meaning.
There are multiple reasons to reject (D).

In Choice (E):
Yes, there is an ellipsis. You are perfectly correct. Probably the shortest and most elegant ellipsis would be as follows:
The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar research facility, with cutting-edge technology, in which it is to conduct research into potentially revolutionary innovations.
Many other ellipses would be possible as well, such as the one you suggested.
rekhabishop wrote:
I got it wrong. Clicked D.

Could you please explain the concept. I actually had no logical approach.

Dear rekhabishop,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, with all due respect, what you have asked is not an excellent question. It's not an excellent question when your posture is "I understand nothing. The expert needs to tell me everything." The presupposition of such a question is that education something that experts and teachers do to you, and you are just the passive recipient of it. In fact, you are 100% responsible for your learning process. Education is something you do to yourself, by yourself, for yourself, and we experts only can support you in this process. Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence. Here's a blog that discusses it more:
Asking Excellent Questions
Both Chef and Mo2men asked high quality questions here. I will ask you to read that blog, and then I will challenge you to write the highest quality question you can about this SC problem, and I will be happy to answer it.

Does all this makes sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 21:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 21:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The CEO of Laminar Flow gave his R & D team a new $300 million dollar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap