Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [50]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Management
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
 Q45  V30 GMAT 2: 600  Q35  V36 GMAT 3: 630  Q40  V36
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Management
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
 Q45  V30 GMAT 2: 600  Q35  V36 GMAT 3: 630  Q40  V36
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: coloration of insects [#permalink]
Kudos
Right on ! which refers to "combination". Remember there is a preposition before "yellow and black"

c) or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

Moreover "yellow and black" is plural. So verb has to plural "signal". But here the verb is singular - "signals". so which refers to "combination"

frankida wrote:
Question- Can someone explain the use of "which" in this instance? For example in C, I assume the "which" refers to "combination" not "black" because it the noun immediately preceding it. Correct?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Insects [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The parallelism here is - "serve as x or serve as y". So choice C is correct, and in this case "warning" is the correct choice for parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
3 or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

isnt "they" ambiguous here. it can refer to yellow n black or to predetors. obviously they cannot refer to yellow n black...but still ambiguous isnt it?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
pkmme wrote:
in C, "they" may refer to "predators or "insects bearing a combination of yellow and black". isn't it ambiguous?

my take is 4.

D changes the meaning.
"predator's warning" would mean that the insect is the predator. But, it's not so. The warning is for one who preys on the insects. So, the insect is a prey.
Moreover, here "which" incorrectly modifies "yellow and black", whereas it should modify combination.

I am not too sure about the ambiguity about "they". It may be ambiguous, but considering that all the options use some pronoun, we'll just have to ignore that ambiguity and validate the correctness based on other rules.

"C" has no error IMO. "they" could be ambiguous but we can ignore that because rest of the options also contain same ambiguity luckily.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Yeah agreed--none of the choices are better than 3. 1,2 and 5 should be rejected right away. Then you are locked down to 3 and 4, and 3 and 4 both have the same problem of ambiguity of "they". 4 is definitely a weird construction in the beginning. So 3 it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Agree; however, i differ from the statement that "they" is ambiguous in D.

4 or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

here "they" has only antecedent as "insects". "predator's" is possessive, so "they" can't refer to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
I agree I missed the point of "they" referring to "predator's", but still "predator's warning" is just not right.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
in C..what does 'which' refer to? it must be referring to either 'black' (preceding noun) or 'combination' (if we remove the prepositional phrase-of yellow and black),but both if them are incorrect..right? pls explain
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
'Which' does not refer to the preceding noun, namely black; This is an exception to the touch rule of the relative pronoun; by logic, it relates to the combination, smugly fitting in if you obscure the intermediaries for a while. For predators, yellow and black is a deadly combination that frightens them. ( according to the passage) . Therefore, I think it is reasonable to accept combination as the referent to ‘which
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [1]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
C is correct. Subhashghosh has the correct explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the [#permalink]
---I found a good parallism explanation ---

"as camouflage, as in the case" is parallel to "as a warning to predators, as in the case" -- which is the only reason why C is correct. In E , "to warn predators, as in the case" is not parallel to "as camouflage, as in the case"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the [#permalink]
frankida wrote:
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of green insects that spend their lives in or near foliage, or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

a) or to warn predators, as in the case of insects colored in yellow and black, which often signals that it is poisonous.

b) or for warning predators, as in the case of insects that have yellow and black coloring, which often signals that it is poisonous.

c) or as a warning to predators, as in the case of insects bearing a combination of yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

d) or as a predator's warning, as in the case of insects that are colored yellow and black, which often signals that they are poisonous.

e) or to warn predators, as in the case of yellow-and-black insects, which often signals that they are poisonous.

The question is testing the knowledge of sentence modification and parallelism. There must be parallelism across "or" . serve as x or as Y. In between the part is descriptive and removable.
The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, or as warning to predators. Here both Camouflage and warning are nouns. Verbing words work as Noun as well.
Ex- Dancing is a good exercise.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: The coloration of insects can serve as camouflage, as in the case of [#permalink]
Kudos