Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [101]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [28]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp [#permalink]
A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further...

Here that surpassed wall street's estimates
shouldn't this be estimate ???
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
No, because there can be many estimates. Wall Street isn't actually one person or entity, but a whole collection of firms, analysts, etc., that can produce estimates. Even one analyst might produce several estimates over time, and the firm's earnings could exceed all of them.

In general, verbs must agree strictly in number with their subjects, so if "estimate" were a verb, we'd see the singular "Wall Street estimates that" or the plural "Wall Street analysts estimate that." However, nouns are under no such restriction. We can say "Dmitry's book" or "Dmitry's books" depending on the intended meaning. I'm very glad I'm not limited to owning one book, because I'm afraid it would have to be the OG, and that would just be sad. ;)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prakhar39 wrote:
A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further...

Here that surpassed wall street's estimates
shouldn't this be estimate ???

Hi Prakhar, hopefully you noticed that all 5 answer choices use estimates. So, it's a non-issue here.

This is actually important because test-takers should develop that orientation to quickly figure out what really matters in a question. Clearly, estimates/estimate is not a differentiator here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

Issue: Modification Structure | Meaning

Analysis:
The sentence can be broken down as following:

The computer company
├─ reported strong second quarter earnings
│ └─ the earnings surpassed Wall Street’s estimates
and
└─ announced price cuts to increase sales

The correct option will connect these thoughts succinctly and unambiguously.

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further.
- The subject in this option is "report" with "computer company" part of prepositional phrase that modifies report. In this option, "they" does not have a clear referent. Also, "that they ..." following "price cuts" leads to meaning issue.

C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts.

- "surpassing..." incorrectly modify "the report"
- "they" does not have a clear referent

D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.
- "for the purpose of" seems redundant.
- "that surpass Wall Street’s estimates" is too far from "second-quarter earnings" as in it does not clearly modify "second-quarter earnings" (though it should)

E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts
- "surpassing..." incorrectly modify "The computer company"

Answer: A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further. Correct answer.
B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further. 'They' is arguable.
C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts. Wordy and complicated,while they is arguably refering to two antecedents.
D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.The reports and the announcement did not surpass the estimates,only the report did.
E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts The computer company did not surpass the wall street's estimates,the repords did.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
A - correct answer.
"reported" and "announced" are parallel to each other.

B - "surpassing wall street's estimates" is a comma + -ing modifier at the end of a sentence.
It modifies the subject of the preceding clause - "the report of the computer company".

"they" does not have a logical referent.
"price cuts that they(the company) intend to increase sales further" - does not make any sense.

C - modifier error. "Surpassing Wall street's estimates" should have modified "earnings".
"they" does not have a logical referent.

D - "surpassing Wall Street's estimates" modifies "the computer company". Illogical.
"and" requires parallelism. "and announcing" is not logically parallel to anything. Note that if it were parallel to "surpassing", the comma before the "and" would not be necessary.

E - "surpassing wall street's estimates" modifies "the computer company".
"announcing that ..." seems to modify "there would be the first in a series of price cuts". - Modifier error.
"announcing that ..." should apply to the "the computer company".

"...to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts" - this seems to imply that only the first price cut would contribute to increased sales.

Usage of "while" (= at the same time as) does not make sense here. "reporting" and "announcing" did not happen at the same time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Undergraduate: Stanford
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Asset Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Long underline. I think there will be structure, meaning, or parallelism issues.

A: Regarding structure, there's a subject and a verb. I don't see any issues, so I'll look at B
B: Company is singular
C: Meaning issue. The report didn't surpass expectations.
D: This sequence looks off. I think it's because of the use ", and" that makes it seem there are three items being discussed. There are only two items: reported and announced.
E: The firm didn't surpass estimates. The earnings surpassed estimates.

My selection: Choice A.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30794 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos