GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 05:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:04) correct 14% (01:18) wrong based on 1715 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

(A) The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

(B) The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further.

(C) Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts.

(D) The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of further increasing sales.

(E) The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts.

(D) The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.

Originally posted by abhijit_sen on 27 Jul 2008, 21:36.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2013, 23:09
The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

Meaning the company reported strong second quarter earnings and these earnings surpassed estimates. The company announces a series of prices cuts to increase sales further.

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further. Correct

B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further. ( company singular incorrect usage of they)

C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts. ( incorrect modifier surpassing needs to modify earnings, incorrect pronoun)

D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates. Incorrect modifier this refers to sales when it needs to refer to earnings.

E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts ( Incorrect modifier needs to modify earnings)

Answer is A Good question!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2008, 21:49
abhijit_sen wrote:

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.
B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further.
C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts.
D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.
E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts

+1 - tough one. I'll go with (A) as none of the others seem to fit very well.

My GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 13:27
A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further...

Here that surpassed wall street's estimates
shouldn't this be estimate ???
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 13:42
No, because there can be many estimates. Wall Street isn't actually one person or entity, but a whole collection of firms, analysts, etc., that can produce estimates. Even one analyst might produce several estimates over time, and the firm's earnings could exceed all of them.

In general, verbs must agree strictly in number with their subjects, so if "estimate" were a verb, we'd see the singular "Wall Street estimates that" or the plural "Wall Street analysts estimate that." However, nouns are under no such restriction. We can say "Dmitry's book" or "Dmitry's books" depending on the intended meaning. I'm very glad I'm not limited to owning one book, because I'm afraid it would have to be the OG, and that would just be sad. ;)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 23:12
prakhar39 wrote:
A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further...

Here that surpassed wall street's estimates
shouldn't this be estimate ???

Hi Prakhar, hopefully you noticed that all 5 answer choices use estimates. So, it's a non-issue here.

This is actually important because test-takers should develop that orientation to quickly figure out what really matters in a question. Clearly, estimates/estimate is not a differentiator here.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 12:01

Issue: Modification Structure | Meaning

Analysis:
The sentence can be broken down as following:

The computer company
├─ reported strong second quarter earnings
│ └─ the earnings surpassed Wall Street’s estimates
and
└─ announced price cuts to increase sales

The correct option will connect these thoughts succinctly and unambiguously.

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further.
- The subject in this option is "report" with "computer company" part of prepositional phrase that modifies report. In this option, "they" does not have a clear referent. Also, "that they ..." following "price cuts" leads to meaning issue.

C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts.

- "surpassing..." incorrectly modify "the report"
- "they" does not have a clear referent

D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.
- "for the purpose of" seems redundant.
- "that surpass Wall Street’s estimates" is too far from "second-quarter earnings" as in it does not clearly modify "second-quarter earnings" (though it should)

E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts
- "surpassing..." incorrectly modify "The computer company"

Answer: A.
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 11:02

A. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further. Correct answer.
B. The report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, and they announced the first in a series of price cuts that they intend to increase sales further. 'They' is arguable.
C. Surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, the report of the computer company showed strong second-quarter earnings, and, for the purpose of increasing sales further, they announced the first in a series of price cuts. Wordy and complicated,while they is arguably refering to two antecedents.
D. The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing the first in a series of price cuts for the purpose of increasing sales further that surpass Wall Street’s estimates.The reports and the announcement did not surpass the estimates,only the report did.
E. The computer company, surpassing Wall Street’s estimates, reported strong second-quarter earnings, while announcing that to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts The computer company did not surpass the wall street's estimates,the repords did.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 23:46
A - correct answer.
"reported" and "announced" are parallel to each other.

B - "surpassing wall street's estimates" is a comma + -ing modifier at the end of a sentence.
It modifies the subject of the preceding clause - "the report of the computer company".

"they" does not have a logical referent.
"price cuts that they(the company) intend to increase sales further" - does not make any sense.

C - modifier error. "Surpassing Wall street's estimates" should have modified "earnings".
"they" does not have a logical referent.

D - "surpassing Wall Street's estimates" modifies "the computer company". Illogical.
"and" requires parallelism. "and announcing" is not logically parallel to anything. Note that if it were parallel to "surpassing", the comma before the "and" would not be necessary.

E - "surpassing wall street's estimates" modifies "the computer company".
"announcing that ..." seems to modify "there would be the first in a series of price cuts". - Modifier error.
"announcing that ..." should apply to the "the computer company".

"...to increase sales further, there would be the first in a series of price cuts" - this seems to imply that only the first price cut would contribute to increased sales.

Usage of "while" (= at the same time as) does not make sense here. "reporting" and "announcing" did not happen at the same time.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Intern
Intern
B
Undergraduate: Stanford
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE: Asset Management (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 10:36
Long underline. I think there will be structure, meaning, or parallelism issues.

A: Regarding structure, there's a subject and a verb. I don't see any issues, so I'll look at B
B: Company is singular
C: Meaning issue. The report didn't surpass expectations.
D: This sequence looks off. I think it's because of the use ", and" that makes it seem there are three items being discussed. There are only two items: reported and announced.
E: The firm didn't surpass estimates. The earnings surpassed estimates.

My selection: Choice A.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 07:40
articuno wrote:
Long underline. I think there will be structure, meaning, or parallelism issues.

A: Regarding structure, there's a subject and a verb. I don't see any issues, so I'll look at B
B: Company is singular
C: Meaning issue. The report didn't surpass expectations.
D: This sequence looks off. I think it's because of the use ", and" that makes it seem there are three items being discussed. There are only two items: reported and announced.
E: The firm didn't surpass estimates. The earnings surpassed estimates.

My selection: Choice A.

Hello articuno,

You have done good quick analysis of this official sentence. This one should not take too long to solve. And you have done a good job with this one. Keep it up. :thumbup:

However, the reason that you have presented to reject Choice D is not correct as there is no comma + and in this choice.

I have seen that many posters in this thread have rejected Choice D for wordiness. Choice D has very deterministic errors.

i. Use of while is incorrect in the context of this sentence because the company did not do the action of reporting and announcing together.

ii. Use of comma + verb-ing modifier announcing… is incorrect because this choice enforces the cause-and-effect relationship between reporting the strong earnings and announcing the price cuts. Per the original sentence, these two are independent actions by the computer company. Hence, this forced cause-and-effect relationship changes the meaning of the sentence.

iii. Increasing sales did not surpass Wall Street's estimates. Per the original sentence, second-quarter earnings did so.

iv. Use of simple present tense verb surpass is incorrect. This choice says that the first in a series of price cuts were announced to increase sales. So these sales are yet to surpass the estimates of Wall Street.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:25
I do agree with option-A but still I believe there is a ambiguity ...."surpassed Wall Street’s estimates "

Posted from my mobile device

kudos please if it helped you.

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:54
tamal99 wrote:
I do agree with option-A but still I believe there is a ambiguity ...."surpassed Wall Street’s estimates "

Posted from my mobile device

Hello tamal99,

I am not sure what is your doubt with regards to the usage of "surpassed Wall Street's estimates".

Nonetheless, here is my analysis about this structure.

The word surpassed is the verb for the subject that = strong second-quarter earnings.

The earnings surpassed Wall Street's estimates.

As already explained in this thread earlier, usage of plural estimates is correct because the sentence intends to say Wall Street made more than one estimate about the particular earning.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 23:04
egmat
Thanks for your reply.
As I understand that option A should have been modified like- surpassed Wall Street’s estimates of that
just for better clarity.

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 10:04
tamal99 wrote:
egmat
Thanks for your reply.
As I understand that option A should have been modified like- surpassed Wall Street’s estimates of that
just for better clarity.

Hello tamal99,

Thank you for the clarification. :-)

I am afraid, however, I do not understand what do you mean to suggest.

Can you please write the entire sentence with the modification that you suggested in your previous post and explain how that modification makes sense in the sentence?

Looking forward to hear from you. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 00:10
Hello egmat,

I believe option -A would be more clear with a addition of demonstrative pronoun- those, where the antecedent would be - earnings.
we need to specify which estimation of Wall street we are talking about as there would be numerous estimations from Wall street, though logically we can predict the same.
Please help me if my understanding is wrong.

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates of those and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 14:38
tamal99 wrote:
Hello egmat,

I believe option -A would be more clear with a addition of demonstrative pronoun- those, where the antecedent would be - earnings.
we need to specify which estimation of Wall street we are talking about as there would be numerous estimations from Wall street, though logically we can predict the same.
Please help me if my understanding is wrong.

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surpassed Wall Street’s estimates of those and announced the first in a series of price cuts intended to increase sales further.

Hello tamal99,

I apologize for getting back to this post so late. Sincere apologies.

IMHO, we do not requite those estimates exclusively in the sentence because the sentence clearly says that the second-quarter earnings surpassed Wall Street's estimates. There is nothing else that the sentence talks about that Wall Street's estimates can be logically associated with.

Hence, the intended meaning is absolutely clear from the original sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 05:23
incognito1 wrote:
abhijit_sen wrote:

+1 - tough one. I'll go with (A) as none of the others seem to fit very well.

what is the problem for "while announcing that"?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 23:56
PLUTO "While announcing" (in both D and E) implies that the company reported strong earnings at the exact same time as its announcement about price cuts (perhaps as part of the latter announcement). There's no sensible reason to say this, but that's not the main problem with E. The real trouble is the placement of the modifiers. "Surpassing Wall Street's estimates" should not come between the subject and the verb. This implies that they were already surpassing the estimates when they began to report. (Compare to "The criminals, fearing a trap, ran for safety.") We also can't say "to increase sales further, there would be . . . price cuts." The modifier "to increase sales further" implies a purpose that someone would have, so we need a proper subject, e.g. "To increase sales further, the company will institute price cuts."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 23:56

The computer company reported strong second-quarter earnings that surp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap