It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
kanigmat011 wrote:
kanigmat011 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

A. The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

B. The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

C. The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

D. The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

My understanding of this:

I considered Data as singular which rules out Option A,B,E on Sub Verb error
Left are C and D out of which
D has ambiguous its

So IMO C

Further to check usage of Data I found it can be used both as Singular or Plural

So confused now should we consider it singular or plural here!
Data is a Latin plural with a singular datum though datum is seldom used on its own any more. The Macquarie Dictionary says: ‘The connection between data the plural and datum the singular has been almost completely broken, so that while datum survives in such compounds as datum point, it does not have the frequency of use that data has.

But should data be singular or plural?

Many writers, knowing its Latin origins, insist that data must take a plural verb.

The data were analysed after they were collected.
rather than
The data was analysed after it was collected.

Both usages exist today, but often the distinction will be made based on whether you are treating data as a count or noncount noun (also known as a mass noun).

When data is a count noun (items that can be counted), the plural makes sense.

The data used were out of date.

In that type of sentence, you could replace data with another count noun such as ‘facts’.

However, when data is treated as a noncount noun (items cannot be counted), the singular makes sense.

The data used was out of date.

With that type of sentence, you could replace data with a word such as ‘information’.

Considering the above findings I feel here data should be plural

So Now B and D are out because of usage of its is incorrect and ambiguous

Further Option C is out as is cannot refer to plural data

Left with A and E
A makes better sense to me as "but the greatest importance""in E does not make it clear who's greatest importance

IMO A is correct

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 15

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 05:55
The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

A. The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

---
The first "they" (consider ...) refers to the engineers.. Then "their" (importance ...) refers to the data.. and then again "they" (influence) refers to data...
Is this usage proper?

I would rather go with (B)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 147

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 07:03
abhirupg07 wrote:

---
The first "they" (consider ...) refers to the engineers.. Then "their" (importance ...) refers to the data.. and then again "they" (influence) refers to data...
Is this usage proper?

I would rather go with (B)

abhirupg07
Lets consider the sentence with option B.

The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone.

From the meaning of the sentence we are talking about the "greatest importance" of data. Similarly pronoun they in the non-underlined part "how they influence the upcoming decision" also refers to the data, it is clear that the noun data is considered plural in the sentence. Therefore it is wrong to refer the data with pronoun "its".

This sentence is all about subject verb agreement and understanding the meaning of the sentence. You need to pick the best option fixing these issues and only A does that.

Hope it helps.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 147

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 06:47
My approach for this question:

The non-underline portion, might lie in how they influence the upcoming decision by those same engineers on whether to retrofit 75 bridges in the survey zone, considers data plural. Hence we have to make sure that in the underline portion it is plural as well. This happens only in A, though i have one doubt. Ideally it, they them in a sentence should refer to the same subject but in the underlined portion ( strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project), they refers to the engineers while in the non-underlined it refers to data.

Please advise guys

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 20:34
souvik101990 wrote:

B. The data being collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but its greatest importance

C. The data collected in the current geological survey is providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance

D. The data collected in the current geological survey provides a strong warning for engineers in consideration of the new dam project, but its greatest importance

E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance

VeritasPrepKarishma Can you please explain why option with "being" is correct, is it because any other option doesnt use right verb form for data and this is best option left??

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 194

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 22:31
'Data' can act as a singular noun or a plural noun. In the non-underlined portion 'data' is referred as 'they', so 'data' a plural noun here.
Option B, C, D get eliminated.
Issues in E - 'engineers in consideration for the new dam project' changes the intended meaning. Seems as if we are interested with those engineers who are considered (or given a chance to) for the new dam project but the intended meaning is those engineers who are considering (taking chance with) the new dam project.
'the greatest importance' doesn't tell us that we are talking about the importance of data as is done in the original sentence.
A - usage of 'being' is not preferred in GMAT. But it is not always wrong. This option uses 'are providing', 'being' is correctly used with continuous tense.

Hence (A)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8358 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 10:11
Regarding whether data is singular or plural, here is some information, particularly in the notes section on the word’s usage.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/DATA

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8358 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

GMAT 1: 710 Q58 V48
GPA: 3.46

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 22:02
I still do not get why A is a better option than E.

a) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
They and Their in A create ambiguity. are providing .....as they consider....doesn't this need parallelism? provide....as they consider

e) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance
in consideration in new dam project does not change the meaning of sentence

Can someone clarify?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 13:30
hyoeun87 wrote:
I still do not get why A is a better option than E.

a) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project, but their greatest importance
They and Their in A create ambiguity. are providing .....as they consider....doesn't this need parallelism? provide....as they consider

e) The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance
in consideration in new dam project does not change the meaning of sentence

Can someone clarify?

The actions "providing" and "considering" happens simultaneously. The conjunction "as" serves the purpose well.

The usage "provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project" is awkward. Probably a simpler example would make it evident why this usage us awkward:

I warn you in your decision...awkward
I warn you as you decide... alright: "warn" and "decide" happens together.

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:06
thelosthippie wrote:

If you like the question I won't mind any Kudos :thumbup:

data is both singular and plural
according to Longman dictionary plural form is more formal
I think this is not a standard question

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 14:15
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
thelosthippie wrote:

If you like the question I won't mind any Kudos :thumbup:

Responding to a pm:

A few things to note:

Technically, data is plural of datum. In academic writing it is almost always treated as plural. It is treated as singular in informal writing but GMAT favors treating it as plural. I do not have my OG12 at hand right now but if you look for references of data, it is used as plural.

Even if you do not know this, the use of "theyinfluence the upcoming" should tell you that data is used in plural form here.

There are many pronouns used here. Antecedent of each pronoun is present in the sentence. The usage clarifies which pronoun refers to data and which refers to engineers.

they - only engineers can consider
their, they - greatest importance will be of data, data will influence the decision

There is no ambiguity in the use of pronouns. The nouns are present and the usage clarifies the antecedent.

B and D use 'its' for data so they are incorrect.

C uses "is providing" for data so it is incorrect.

In option (E), "in consideration for the new dam project" is bad diction.

Answer is (A)

Here is a note on the use of being in this sentence by Brian:

Don't get me wrong - if you eliminate "being" every time you'll be right on well over 90% of SC questions when you do so. But I know there are questions out there where it's used correctly, and they're bound to be among the more difficult since most students know the "being is wrong!" principle. So having that extra moment of caution when, like in this case, you don't like the other answer choices...that's a nice competitive advantage.

"Being" is properly used to express a temporary state. It's often used hideously on the GMAT as a modifier for something that isn't at all temporary:

Being the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong...

"Being" is wrong there - he wasn't "being" the first man on the moon...that's just who he is.

But you could correctly say:

While being driven to the shuttle launch, Neil Armstrong remarked to his chauffeur that...

Because "being driven" is a temporary state.

So in this question, which clearly denotes the "current geological survey", "being collected" is a temporary state. The data won't always be collected, but currently for a temporary period of time the data are being collected, so "being" is used properly here.

Hi Karishma ,
I read somewhere that if a pronoun has been used for a noun in a sentence then it will refer to same noun if used again? Is this true? . In this case option A - THEY has been used for engineers and then later it is used for Data. Is this not ambigous?
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 19:25

Data can be singular or plural as per the context. The 'they' in the non-underlined portions gives us the idea that the 'data' has to be treated as plural in this sentence

Decision set 1: DATA plural

Left with:

The greatest importance of what? This option doesn't answer that.

Left with:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 22:13
Whenever you have a conjunction such as "because" or "but", (subject) pronouns after the conjunction typically refer back to the subject of the first clause. That's because the conjunctions serve to "explain" why/how the subject undertook the action in the first clause.
For example:
John filed a case against Jim, because he believed that he had been unjustly targeted.

Who performed the action of filing the case? John.
John filed the case because of his own belief, not Jim's, so "he" should refer back to the subject of the first clause, i.e. to John.

In this question, the portion of the sentence after the conjunction already uses "those engineers", so "they" has only one possible referent: data.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 01:55
Hi experts,
Doesn't option A have a pronoun ambiguity problem?

(A) The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning for engineers as they consider the new dam project,but their greatest importance.

"they" refer to engineers,but "their" refer to the possession of data.
IMHO,it is fine to use being in this context as the data are being collected right now.

Did I miss anything?

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 906

Expert Post
Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2055 [5], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
I hate to say this, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this particular example. My usual disclaimer: this isn't an official GMAT question, and it's extraordinarily difficult for test-prep companies to perfectly copy the style of real GMAT questions. After all, the GMAT spends somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-$3000 to develop each question. Even the very best test-prep companies can't compete with that.

And in this particular case, I think the question has some ambiguities that wouldn't appear on the actual exam.

First, let's talk about the issue of whether data is plural or singular. Reasonable and highly educated people disagree on this point. When I was in PhD school, my professors disagreed about whether data was singular or plural. Most editors treat it as singular now. Technically, I suppose that "datum" is singular, and "data" is plural, but most people would say "data is awesome" not "data are awesome" -- and that's how it would appear in most credible publications. So it's a grey area.

But guess what? That doesn't matter. The GMAT will never test you on something this ambiguous. Plenty of other nouns (media, fish, deer, etc.) could be either singular and plural, and the GMAT was always give you some other clue that tells you whether the noun is singular or plural. Here's a good example from the GMATPrep: https://gmatclub.com/forum/analyzing-ca ... 56-40.html

So no, you don't need to know if "data" or "media" are inherently singular or plural, because there's no standard answer, and it's not going to be an issue on the exam. If you think it's an issue on a question, look closely: the GMAT will give you another hint somewhere else.

I'm skeptical of this language in (A), to be honest: "The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning..." It's not necessarily wrong, but the GMAT is unlikely to use "are providing" (progressive tense, if you like that jargon) unless there's a darned good reason for it.

The pronouns are dodgy, but arguably OK. The first "they" clearly refers to engineers; you could argue that "their" refers unambiguously to "data," since "their" is the subject of the second clause, and must refer back to the subject of the first clause. But it's hard to find official questions with pronouns that sound this murky, with several variations of "they" and "their" referring to different antecedents. Again, it's not necessarily wrong, but it's also not a typical construction that you'd see on the actual test.

In other words: don't worry too much about this one. I can see why (A) is the OA, but I see at least three issues that don't quite smell like the real thing.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2055 [5], given: 465

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [2], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
I hate to say this, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this particular example. My usual disclaimer: this isn't an official GMAT question, and it's extraordinarily difficult for test-prep companies to perfectly copy the style of real GMAT questions. After all, the GMAT spends somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-$3000 to develop each question. Even the very best test-prep companies can't compete with that.

And in this particular case, I think the question has some ambiguities that wouldn't appear on the actual exam.

First, let's talk about the issue of whether data is plural or singular. Reasonable and highly educated people disagree on this point. When I was in PhD school, my professors disagreed about whether data was singular or plural. Most editors treat it as singular now. Technically, I suppose that "datum" is singular, and "data" is plural, but most people would say "data is awesome" not "data are awesome" -- and that's how it would appear in most credible publications. So it's a grey area.

But guess what? That doesn't matter. The GMAT will never test you on something this ambiguous. Plenty of other nouns (media, fish, deer, etc.) could be either singular and plural, and the GMAT was always give you some other clue that tells you whether the noun is singular or plural. Here's a good example from the GMATPrep: https://gmatclub.com/forum/analyzing-ca ... 56-40.html

So no, you don't need to know if "data" or "media" are inherently singular or plural, because there's no standard answer, and it's not going to be an issue on the exam. If you think it's an issue on a question, look closely: the GMAT will give you another hint somewhere else.

I'm skeptical of this language in (A), to be honest: "The data being collected in the current geological survey are providing a strong warning..." It's not necessarily wrong, but the GMAT is unlikely to use "are providing" (progressive tense, if you like that jargon) unless there's a darned good reason for it.

The pronouns are dodgy, but arguably OK. The first "they" clearly refers to engineers; you could argue that "their" refers unambiguously to "data," since "their" is the subject of the second clause, and must refer back to the subject of the first clause. But it's hard to find official questions with pronouns that sound this murky, with several variations of "they" and "their" referring to different antecedents. Again, it's not necessarily wrong, but it's also not a typical construction that you'd see on the actual test.

In other words: don't worry too much about this one. I can see why (A) is the OA, but I see at least three issues that don't quite smell like the real thing.

Dear Charles,

Through my English study, teachers told us that 'Data' is sigular but I found that OG 12 may treats 'Data' as Plural.

SC36, p. 40:
New DATA from United States Forest Service ecologists SHOW that for every dollar spent on controlled small- scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, seven dollars are saved that would have been spent on extinguishing big fires.

p. 360:
They ruled out local bias because breakage DATA obtained from other Pleistocene sites WERE similar to the La Brea data.

p. 366:
These DATA HAVE established a strong connection between variations in the Earth’s orbit and the periodicity of the ice ages.

what do you think?

Kudos [?]: 302 [2], given: 166

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2055 [1], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Yes -- the GMAT has a history of treating both "data" and "media" as plural. But I think it's a non-issue. Notice that in each of the examples you cited, you don't have any choice: in the first one, "New data... show" isn't even underlined, so it has no impact on the answer. The other two examples are CR, and the subject-verb agreement isn't our problem.

So you deserve 20 points for attention to detail! (Hopefully the GMAT folks will apply those points directly to your score!) But I still don't think it's anything to worry about: I still haven't seen an official question that requires you to actually know whether potentially ambiguous nouns (data, media, fish, deer...) are singular or plural. If it's an issue, they'll give you another clue to tell you whether "data" is singular or plural.

And I also agree with your English training: at least in the United States, "data" is singular. So please hug your teachers for me. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2055 [1], given: 465

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1372 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 18:50
Mo2men wrote:
Dear Charles,

Through my English study, teachers told us that 'Data' is sigular but I found that OG 12 may treats 'Data' as Plural.

SC36, p. 40:
New DATA from United States Forest Service ecologists SHOW that for every dollar spent on controlled small- scale burning, forest thinning, and the training of fire-management personnel, seven dollars are saved that would have been spent on extinguishing big fires.

p. 360:
They ruled out local bias because breakage DATA obtained from other Pleistocene sites WERE similar to the La Brea data.

p. 366:
These DATA HAVE established a strong connection between variations in the Earth’s orbit and the periodicity of the ice ages.

Mo2men, Another concrete example taken from Official Guide Verbal Review 2017. Reading Comprehension Question 62 explanation.

No data are offered to support an assumption.
Attachments

Re.jpg
Re.jpg [ 199.33 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1372 [0], given: 440

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 22:47
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:

A few things to note:

Technically, data is plural of datum. In academic writing it is almost always treated as plural. It is treated as singular in informal writing but GMAT favors treating it as plural. I do not have my OG12 at hand right now but if you look for references of data, it is used as plural.

Even if you do not know this, the use of "theyinfluence the upcoming" should tell you that data is used in plural form here.

There are many pronouns used here. Antecedent of each pronoun is present in the sentence. The usage clarifies which pronoun refers to data and which refers to engineers.

they - only engineers can consider
their, they - greatest importance will be of data, data will influence the decision

There is no ambiguity in the use of pronouns. The nouns are present and the usage clarifies the antecedent.

B and D use 'its' for data so they are incorrect.

C uses "is providing" for data so it is incorrect.

In option (E), "in consideration for the new dam project" is bad diction.

Answer is (A)

Here is a note on the use of being in this sentence by Brian:

Don't get me wrong - if you eliminate "being" every time you'll be right on well over 90% of SC questions when you do so. But I know there are questions out there where it's used correctly, and they're bound to be among the more difficult since most students know the "being is wrong!" principle. So having that extra moment of caution when, like in this case, you don't like the other answer choices...that's a nice competitive advantage.

"Being" is properly used to express a temporary state. It's often used hideously on the GMAT as a modifier for something that isn't at all temporary:

Being the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong...

"Being" is wrong there - he wasn't "being" the first man on the moon...that's just who he is.

But you could correctly say:

While being driven to the shuttle launch, Neil Armstrong remarked to his chauffeur that...

Because "being driven" is a temporary state.

So in this question, which clearly denotes the "current geological survey", "being collected" is a temporary state. The data won't always be collected, but currently for a temporary period of time the data are being collected, so "being" is used properly here.

As you pointed "THEY" in first part of the sentence refers to "engineers "and "THEY" in later part of the sentence refers to "Data". is this usage correct?

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 07:43
First of all, data are plural. A has no problem. being is correctly used. The subject is data.

E. The data collected in the current geological survey provide a strong warning for engineers in consideration for the new dam project, but the greatest importance "missing subject"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2017, 07:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

The data being collected in the current geological survey are providin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap