It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 22:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:29) correct 25% (00:40) wrong based on 93 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural businesses has provided an additional reason for local farmers to invest their money in a variety of markets.

(A) The declining of values

(B) Declining values

(C) The declining value

(D) Since the declining value

(E) because of the declining values
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 01:20
Top Contributor
The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural businesses has provided an additional reason for local farmers to invest their money in a variety of markets.

(A) The declining of values --- This complex gerund is the best choice

(B) Declining values ---Plural values does not gel with the singular verb

(C) The declining value --- it is wrong to assume that there is one single declining value for several stock shares of agricultural businesses. Each business has its own declining value and hence, we should rather use the plural -values-. However, if we use the plural -values-, then it will not tally with the singular verb. Hence, this choice is erroneous.

(D) Since the declining value --- This is a fragment. The main clause is missing.

(E) Because of the declining values --- This is also a fragment since the main clause is missing

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 01:29
Singular verb "has" requires singular subject.
Also It doesn't seem proper to assume "Value" for "Values" to account singular for verb, if we don't have any other reason to replace plural "values" by "value".

IMO A.

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 06:24
HKD1710 wrote:

(B) Declining values

(C) The declining value

Can some one explain why C not A .both seems ok to me... :(
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We never use a gerund in place of a noun unless we want to call attention to the action itself. Let me use an example.

The sale of my house provided me with extra spending money.

Why do I have extra money? Because my house was sold.

The selling of my house provided me with extra spending money.

Why am I using the gerund form instead of the simpler "sale"? I would only say this if I wanted to emphasize that the actual act of selling the house is what provided me with money. Maybe I was an unscrupulous seller and took bribes from prospective buyers during the process. Maybe I sold it more than once, so I continued to make money by selling again and again. These are very specific and odd cases. In most cases, I would just say "sale."

So there are two problems with A. One is that we seem to be saying that the actual process of decline is what provided a reason to invest, when it makes more sense to say that the decline itself (the fact that prices are lower) provides a reason. The second problem is that if we say "the declining of," it sounds like an action that someone undertook, as in "the raising of the flag" or "the lighting of the candles." No one "declined" the values, so this usage makes no logical sense.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 18:50

the verb declining does not matches the tense of the sentence and is used as a modifier of the noun values but values does not make the correct intended meaning since the declining has not provided additional reason.

(B) Declining values
Declining values is a plural subject which does not match with the verb has provided therofe wrong

(C) The declining value
The subject in the choice is 'declining value' and is a singular phrase and the verb in the sentence is the 'has provided' which correctly matches and gives the correct intended meaning of the sentence.

THis answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence. therefore is wrong.

This choice changes the intended meaning of the sentence thereofe is wrong.
Re: The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2017, 18:50

The declining of values of stock shares for several agricultural busin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap