Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [373]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [148]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [37]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
Re: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari [#permalink]
Kudos
there is no need for any explanation after Tommy`s, doing it just for myself :)

E

there are three points in a row. before the last one we can see the conjunction "and". So all options with another "and" are out.
rarity is much better than rare when you are trying to describe a noun.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari [#permalink]
serhio,

This is not my question. Please read carefully what I have asked Tommy.

serhio wrote:
there is no need for any explanation after Tommy`s, doing it just for myself :)

E

there are three points in a row. before the last one we can see the conjunction "and". So all options with another "and" are out.
rarity is much better than rare when you are trying to describe a noun.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Ykaiim,

"Or" is another parallelism marker. But for what it's worth, "or" sets up alternatives, not a list, per se. But yes, if you want to discuss alternatives, then "or" must come before the final term in the parallel structure.

Thanks for making sure that got mentioned!

-t
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [3]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Question for MikeGarry | The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian---vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely

(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity

I Hope I have not committed any mistake in posting this question. If Something happens I do not do it deliberately.

My Question,

I could easily chuck down option A and B as they do not represents a correct ||'sm list.
What I personally feel is this that the contrast word was needed to present this information "meat rarely"

If we remove the Fluff from the sentence -
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian[-vegetables fresh cheese,oatmeal,and meal cakes], and meat rarely.

In the above part the red part is a fluff. The sentence w/o Fluff will be -
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian, and meat rarely.

If you look at the concept of ||'sm the sentence after and should be a full clause. So A and B can be eliminated.

(C) The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian,with meat as rare
(D) The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian,meat a rarity
(E) The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian,with meat as a rarity

Sir,

Can you help me to dive more deeper into C, D and E.

1. What is the importance of as here.
2. what is the importance of with here.
3. rare vs rarity.

Thank you so much.

Source: OG10
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
manoharpln wrote:
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely.

(A) and meat rarely -- hold
(B) and meat was rare -- sound as if meat was scarce,eliminate
(C) with meat as rare -- sounds like an open-end comparison as rare..,eliminate
(D) meat a rarity -- just weird,a stand alone after comma but not in the list
(E) with meat as a rarity -- with rarely meat may be better to my ear.As a rarity sounds as if meat=rarity ?!

Hi sayantanc2k and all,
IMHO,option A could read
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and the diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was meat rarely.
The last "and" is the conjunction here.Is my reasoning flawed?

Again,I accept that the correct choice is E,but more elaboration would be appreciate especially for how ",with meat as a rarity" is proper placed in the context and how my reasoning flaw.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [13]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
manoharpln wrote:
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely.

(A) and meat rarely -- hold
(B) and meat was rare -- sound as if meat was scarce,eliminate
(C) with meat as rare -- sounds like an open-end comparison as rare..,eliminate
(D) meat a rarity -- just weird,a stand alone after comma but not in the list
(E) with meat as a rarity -- with rarely meat may be better to my ear.As a rarity sounds as if meat=rarity ?!

Hi sayantanc2k and all,
IMHO,option A could read
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and the diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was meat rarely.
The last "and" is the conjunction here.Is my reasoning flawed?

Again,I accept that the correct choice is E,but more elaboration would be appreciate especially for how ",with meat as a rarity" is proper placed in the context and how my reasoning flaw.

Your reasoning would be appropriate if there were another dash (instead of comma) after "meal cakes" to separate out the list of vegetarian diet - there would then be no ambiguity in the usage of the second "and". Moreover, ideally "rarely" should be preceding "meat" (largely vegetarian and rarely meat) - nonetheless there would still be a parallelism issue between "vegetarian" and "meat" - the first one is an adjective whereas the latter a noun.

The modifier "with meat as a rarity" is somewhat awkward, but this modifier can be considered an adverbial modifier rather than a noun modifier, and hence the placement is flexible.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
manoharpln wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 104
Page: 668

(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity

Hello mikemcgarry,

Good day to you!

Please throw some light on my below doubt.

In the given sentence, "The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely", I understand that we have a "—" that is used to provide the list of items. Since there is no second "—" in the sentence it means that all the items mentioned after "—" are part of the list. So shouldn't we use a noun after the last "and" (highlighted) because all the items are a noun.

Why is the usage of prepositional phrase — with meat as a rarity — correct here?

Please elucidate.

Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [17]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello mikemcgarry,

Good day to you!

In the given sentence, "The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely", I understand that we have a "—" that is used to provide the list of items. Since there is no second "—" in the sentence it means that all the items mentioned after "—" are part of the list. So shouldn't we use a noun after the last "and" (highlighted) because all the items are a noun.

Why is the usage of prepositional phrase — with meat as a rarity — correct here?

Please elucidate.

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

Good day to you, my friend! I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is another truly brilliant SC problem from the official GMAT. Like many more difficult questions, this one is designed to frustrate simply mechanical thinking. Language is not mathematics, and patterns in language that usually apply often can change in exceptional circumstances for logical or rhetorical purposes. If you are too attached to a tight literal understanding of the rules, you will be befuddled by one hard SC questions after another.

It's perfectly true one use of the em-dash is to set off a list of examples. It's perfectly true that, under ordinary condition, a list is just a collection of nouns in parallel, so the last element would be a noun. That's often the case, but not always. Sometimes, logic requires that we add some kind of comment at the end of a list--its source, its reputed veracity, or a notable exception.
Some religions recounts cases of humans who did not undergo physical death--Enoch and Elijah, according to the Hebrew Bible.
Some political parties claim objective qualities for their views--fair and balanced, as FOX News purports.

This is the way the preposition "with meat as a rarity" is used--an exception that clarifies the nature of the list.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello mikemcgarry,

Good day to you!

Please elucidate.

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

Good day to you, my friend! I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is another truly brilliant SC problem from the official GMAT. Like many more difficult questions, this one is designed to frustrate simply mechanical thinking. Language is not mathematics, and patterns in language that usually apply often can change in exceptional circumstances for logical or rhetorical purposes. If you are too attached to a tight literal understanding of the rules, you will be befuddled by one hard SC questions after another.

It's perfectly true one use of the em-dash is to set off a list of examples. It's perfectly true that, under ordinary condition, a list is just a collection of nouns in parallel, so the last element would be a noun. That's often the case, but not always. Sometimes, logic requires that we add some kind of comment at the end of a list--its source, its reputed veracity, or a notable exception.
Some religions recounts cases of humans who did not undergo physical death--Enoch and Elijah, according to the Hebrew Bible.
Some political parties claim objective qualities for their views--fair and balanced, as FOX News purports.

This is the way the preposition "with meat as a rarity" is used--an exception that clarifies the nature of the list.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

As always, thank you Mike. I had chosen the correct answer but wanted to know the technical breakdown.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A and B can be immediately discarded, since a list can’t have two ands. C can also be discarded, quite obviously. “with meant as rare” doesn’t make any sense, an adjective is being treated like a noun. D is just as wrong. There needs to be a connecting phrase after the last item on the list. So, by PoE, we can tell that E is actually the correct option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
TommyWallach wrote:

Obviously, this is a parallelism issue. Every list needs to have "and" at the end. You can't use "and" twice, unless the second to last item in the list is a compound. For example: "I like all kinds of sandwiches: reuben, turkey, pastrami, peanut butter and jelly, and veggie." But in that case, there are two nouns in that second to last entry (peanut butter and jelly). We don't have that here, so there's no justification for having two "and"s.

HiTommyWallach

I was not able to apply your "two ands" logic in this similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-criminal- ... 20239.html

Is there any particular reason?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BunuelWannabe wrote:
HiTommyWallach

I was not able to apply your "two ands" logic in this similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-criminal- ... 20239.html

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what the "two ands logic" is, but here is how you can read the lists in the question you linked to:

They can also (1) pilfer valuable information such as (a) business development strategies, (b) new product specifications, and (c) contract bidding plans, and (2) sell the data to competitors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
BunuelWannabe wrote:
Hi[[/b][/url]

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what the "two ands logic" is, but here is how you can read the lists in the question you linked to:

They can also (1) pilfer valuable information such as (a) business development strategies, (b) new product specifications, and (c) contract bidding plans, and (2) sell the data to competitors.

Hi AjiteshArun,

Then, going back to the question of this post, what would be the problem with b)?

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times (1) was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and (2) meat was rare.

Is it only because the comma? Otherwise would be a correct option?

Thanks for your help!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos