GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 21:38
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
AjiteshArun could you throw some light on why c is incorrect?

e seems like a better option than c, but what really is wrong with c ??

also, i think there should not be a comma before the first and .. it should be "and meal cakes" instead if " , and meal cakes" .. am i right???

kindly help !!

Regards,
Adit
Hi aditliverpoolfc,

That with meat as rare is unidiomatic. That is, we cannot use that structure in standard English to convey the intended meaning.

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, with meat as rare.

As for the comma, some people feel that there should be a comma (an Oxford comma) just before the and in any list with more than two items. However, we should not eliminate an option on the basis of whether it includes (or does not include) an Oxford comma.
B
Re: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 06:12
gmatexam439 wrote:
manoharpln wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 104
Page: 668

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely.

(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity

Hello

Good day to you!

Please throw some light on my below doubt.

In the given sentence, "The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely", I understand that we have a "—" that is used to provide the list of items. Since there is no second "—" in the sentence it means that all the items mentioned after "—" are part of the list. So shouldn't we use a noun after the last "and" (highlighted) because all the items are a noun.

Why is the usage of prepositional phrase — with meat as a rarity — correct here?

Please elucidate.

Regards

Thanks for reply in that way. Before I saw your answer, I couldn't understand but when you rewrite the main sentence I understand clearly.
If you put the sentence:

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian—vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and the diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times with meat as a rarity.

It really makes sense now :)
Re: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2019, 06:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetari

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics