Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:16 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:16
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [2]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45 (Online)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [3]

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 664 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Re: The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently of and more [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma

am I wrong in saying that D and E are sentence fragments? I mean there is no main verb for the discovery subject
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [0]

Send PM
Re: The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently of and more [#permalink]
Expert Reply
patto wrote:
GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma

am I wrong in saying that D and E are sentence fragments? I mean there is no main verb for the discovery subject

Yup, that's correct. The verbs in these two options ("is" and "are") are trapped within the "that" clause, so we don't actually have a main verb for the subject ("discovery").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel, can you please tag this as a GMAT Prep question? It appeared in my mock today.

Thank you.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644237 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
CrushTHYGMAT wrote:
Bunuel, can you please tag this as a GMAT Prep question? It appeared in my mock today.

Thank you.

Own Kudos [?]: 475 [1]
Given Kudos: 403
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
The discovery that Earths inner core rotates independently of and more [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja
EMPOWERgmatVerbal

While i now understand the reasons why option (b) is incorrect, the highlighted portion in the option (a) continues to throw me off.

The discovery that Earth's inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth's outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth's magnetic field.

Is ellipsis at play here? Core is implied? Doesn't seem like a very natural construction
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14762 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rishi02 wrote:
GMATNinja
EMPOWERgmatVerbal

While i now understand the reasons why option (b) is incorrect, the highlighted portion in the option (a) continues to throw me off.

The discovery that Earth's inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth's outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth's magnetic field.

Is ellipsis at play here? Core is implied? Doesn't seem like a very natural construction

Thanks for your question rishi02!

While we do agree that this sentence is incredibly long-winded, which might make it confusing for readers, option A is still the best option of the 5 we have to choose from. Since we're only talking about one planet, we can imply that when we refer to the "inner" planet, we're talking about the core. Repeating mention of the core would be more important if we were comparing/contrasting more than one planet.

This is one of the ways the GMAT can be tricky - long, complex sentences with a lot of parts can distract us from the core concepts we need to focus on, which in this case are parallelism and logical construction.

We hope that helps! Feel free to tag us at EMPOWERgmatVerbal if you have any other questions!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
rishi02

The sentence is sort of structured as follows:

The discovery... is responsible for... studies

1) of the flow of heat...
2) of the formation...

Hope that helps.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishi02 wrote:
GMATNinja
EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Hello rishi02,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the phrase "from the inner through the outer planet" does not directly refer to the "core"; rather, it simply conveys that the studies that were advanced by a discovery regarding the Earth's inner core are concerned with how heat moved from deeper sections of the planet to outer sections.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
while talking about parallelism in B]

we see '' discovery is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows and the formation.....

the phrase followed after preposition ''of'' should be a noun?

I heard from somewhere that ''how heat flows from the inner core'' behave as a noun'' Please guide.

if we ingnore the word 'how' is parallelism justified? do we really need another 'of' before the 'formation' to make it parallel?

Can't we assume 'of' to be commom for the items in the list

Moreover, is oxford comma rule strictly followed on GMAC. can we use it for elimination?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

we see '' discovery is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows and the formation.....

I heard from somewhere that ''how heat flows from the inner core'' behave as a noun'' Please guide

The words who/what/where/when/why/how have two different functions in the English language in general:
1/ Starting a question
2/ Starting a noun clause (= a clause—i.e., with a subject+verb in it—that acts as a noun)
The noun clause here, by the way, represents the answer to the corresponding question. E.g., in the sentence "I know what you're thinking", the noun clause "what you're thinking" represents the answer to the question "What are you thinking?"

GMAT SC sentences, however, are NEVER questions—they're ALWAYS declarative statements. Accordingly, in GMAT SC, these words who/what/when/where/why/how will introduce noun clauses.

There are some additional words of this type that cannot introduce a valid question—or that can only do so in heavily stylized/poetic/dramatic language—and that therefore MUST therefore begin a noun clause even in the more general English language.
E.g.,
whether (...absolutely CANNOT begin a question; this word must begin a noun clause)
whatever/whoever/whomever/however/wherever/whenever (...can only begin questions in poetic/dramatic speech; otherwise must begin a noun clause)
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
if we ingnore the word 'how' is parallelism justified? do we really need another 'of' before the 'formation' to make it parallel?

The mechanical parallelism is workable either with or without the second "of":
studies of X and Y
studies of X and of Y

In this context, it's better to use two instances of "of", for at least two reasons:

• These parallel parts are so long that, without the additional cue provided by the second "of", it's very difficult to recognize them in one read-through of the sentence.

• There's a fairly subtle distinction in meaning: "Studies of X and Y" implies that X and Y are covered together in each of the studies, whereas "studies of X and of Y" implies that there are, separately, studies of X and studies of Y.
In this case the 'X' and the 'Y' represent two altogether different scientific subjects, so the latter meaning is more sensible in context.
(No official SC problem will require the consideration of subtleties on this level.)

Quote:
Moreover, is oxford comma rule strictly followed on GMAC. can we use it for elimination?

GMAC follows the convention of inserting this comma before "and"/"or" in lists of three or more parallel items.
X, Y, and/or Z (...NOT "X, Y and/or Z")

I don't think you'll ever have the opportunity to use this for elimination. GMAC will definitely NOT write wrong answers containing these sorts of lists WITHOUT the last comma.

In fact, if you see something that LOOKS like that, you should consider it carefully because it's probably a different type of construction altogether.

E.g.,
In 2010 I married Sarah, my soul mate and my best friend.
This is "X, Y and Z" in which the "Y and Z" part (my soul mate and my best friend) is a modifier of "X" (Sarah). Obviously I didn't marry three different women at once!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

I heard from somewhere that ''how heat flows from the inner core'' behave as a noun'' Please guide.

Can't we assume 'of' to be commom for the items in the list

Looks like Ron (hi, Ron!) beat us to this one, but in case it helps, check out this post for our take on the parallelism in A and B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
of course, one can't marry three women at once!

Thanks for your help :)

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Anshul1223333 wrote:

The mechanical parallelism is workable either with or without the second "of":
studies of X and Y
studies of X and of Y

In this context, it's better to use two instances of "of", for at least two reasons:

• These parallel parts are so long that, without the additional cue provided by the second "of", it's very difficult to recognize them in one read-through of the sentence.

• There's a fairly subtle distinction in meaning: "Studies of X and Y" implies that X and Y are covered together in each of the studies, whereas "studies of X and of Y" implies that there are, separately, studies of X and studies of Y.
In this case the 'X' and the 'Y' represent two altogether different scientific subjects, so the latter meaning is more sensible in context.
(No official SC problem will require the consideration of subtleties on this level.)

Quote:

GMAC follows the convention of inserting this comma before "and"/"or" in lists of three or more parallel items.
X, Y, and/or Z (...NOT "X, Y and/or Z")

I don't think you'll ever have the opportunity to use this for elimination. GMAC will definitely NOT write wrong answers containing these sorts of lists WITHOUT the last comma.

In fact, if you see something that LOOKS like that, you should consider it carefully because it's probably a different type of construction altogether.

E.g.,
In 2010 I married Sarah, my soul mate and my best friend.
This is "X, Y and Z" in which the "Y and Z" part (my soul mate and my best friend) is a modifier of "X" (Sarah). Obviously I didn't marry three different women at once!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
can we say that oxford comma is used incorrectly in B C and E?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mansianand1234 wrote:
can we say that oxford comma is used incorrectly in B C and E?

Well, (C) and (D) are out right away because of the subject-verb agreement error (The discovery... are responsible...).

The GMAT is pretty lenient when it comes to comma usage, and we've seen OAs with a comma separating just two things in a list. Generally speaking, if you're unsure about a comma, you're MUCH better off looking for other decision points.

In this case, the more important issue is the parallelism in the remaining choices:

(A) The discovery is responsible for advancing studies (1) of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and (2) of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field.

(B) The discovery is responsible for advancing studies of (1) how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and (2) the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field

(E) The discovery is responsible for advancing studies (1) of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and (2) of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction

The parallelism in choice (A) is the best ("... studies of X and of Y..."), and, as a result, the meaning is clearer and easier to follow in (A) than in (B) and (E).

For more on that, check out this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-discover ... l#p2419284.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
Expert Reply
"ABC" Sentence Template: The discovery that A has led to studies of B and of C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
The discovery that Earth’s inner core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field.

Option Elimination - This question plays with our minds. :) Long sentences, relative clauses, prepositional phrases, and SVs. If we stick to the basics, the question is comparatively easy.

(A) core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field.
Basic structure -
The discovery (subject) relative clause (which is a noun modifier modifying "the discovery") is (verb) responsible for advancing studies prepositional phrase (of the flow) and prepositional phrase (of the formation). Parallelism around "and". Ok.

(B) core rotates independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers is responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field -
The discovery (subject) relative clause (which is a noun modifier modifying "the discovery") is (verb) responsible for advancing studies of "the relative clause" (how heat from the inner core flows) and the noun phrase (the formation and periodic reversal). The structure around "and" is not parallel.

(C) core rotates independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers are responsible for advancing studies of how heat from the inner core flows through the outer planet, and how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction - SV issue.

(D) core, rotating independently and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, are responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet, and the formation and periodic reversal in direction of Earth’s magnetic field - SV issue

(E) core, rotating independently of and more quickly than Earth’s outer layers, is responsible for advancing studies of the flow of heat from the inner through the outer planet and of how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic reversal of its direction -
The discovery (subject) noun phrase (the structure of a relative clause is broken) is (verb) responsible for advancing studies of "noun phrase" (the flow of heat from the inner) and of the noun clause (how Earth’s magnetic field forms and the periodic). The structure around "and" is not parallel.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts