Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - i selected (A). Quick question on (E).

When i read the argument, essentially the argument is saying : divide the the Green (Numerator) / Blue (Denominator) : You will get the age of the river.

Question on (E).

I did not select (E) because i thought (E) was baked into to the calculations of the green (numerator) to begin with.

Question - is (E) baked into the calculation of
(i) BOTH, the green and the blue
or
(ii) just the blue only
or
(iii) just the green only

As long as (E) is baked into one of these three options - we can eliminate (E) but i was curious
Attachments

screneshot 4.png
screneshot 4.png [ 35.05 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman - i selected (A). Quick question on (E).

When i read the argument, essentially the argument is saying : divide the the Green (Numerator) / Blue (Denominator) : You will get the age of the river.

Question on (E).

I did not select (E) because i thought (E) was baked into to the calculations of the green (numerator) to begin with.

Question - is (E) baked into the calculation of
(i) BOTH, the green and the blue
or
(ii) just the blue only
or
(iii) just the green only

As long as (E) is baked into one of these three options - we can eliminate (E) but i was curious

We can eliminate (E) because it's "baked in" to both the green and the blue. If it were only "baked in" to one of them, that would be a problem. We need the consistency in order for the calculation to be meaningful, jabhatta2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GRE 1: Q166 V153
Send PM
Re: The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. [#permalink]
Zatarra wrote:
hibloom wrote:
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth’s oceans have not been unusually large during the past hundred years.
(B) At any given time, all the Earth’s rivers have about the same salt levels.
(C) There are salts that leach into the Earth’s oceans directly from the ocean floor.
(D) There is no method superior to that based on salt levels for estimating the maximum age of the Earth’s oceans.
(E) None of the salts carried into the Earth’s oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans.

i was a difficult choice between a and e.
I eliminated E with the foll. reasoning.
If at the beginning of the last century,the ocean contained x kgs of salt.
If in the last 100 years , 100 kgs of ice was dropped into the ocean by the rivers.
and suppose that in the past 100 yrs 5 kgs of salt was used up by the ocean because of its biological activity.
then 95 kgs was dropped in the last century.
So the level becomes x + 95
still we can find out the age of the ocean by taking 95 kgs as the average increase in 1 century.

But the option does not say in the last 100 years. It could be any of the set of 100 years and can change average salt in that particular slot of 100 years. How does it not affect the amount of the salt/100 years?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The Earth's rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. [#permalink]
Pre-thinking - We assume that the deposition of salts has been pretty consistent. What if in the last 100 years, the deposition of slats was extremely high say because of industrial activity then the maximum age of Earth's oceans can't be accurately estimated.

(A) The quantities of dissolved salts deposited by rivers in the Earth’s oceans have not been unusually large during the past hundred years. - in line with our pre-thinking.

(B) At any given time, all the Earth’s rivers have about the same salt levels. - Doesn't matter. Irrelevant.

(C) There are salts that leach into the Earth’s oceans directly from the ocean floor. - At best, a weakener.

(D) There is no method superior to that based on salt levels for estimating the maximum age of the Earth’s oceans. - Not an assumption. The argument doesn't say that this is the superior method.

(E) None of the salts carried into the Earth’s oceans by rivers are used up by biological activity in the oceans. - At best, it's a strengthener. But it is not a necessary condition. Say we negate this - Some (at least 2 - say 2 kgs, for example) of salts ....are used for biological activity...does it even matter? No.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I got that the answer is A but everyone is ignoring D. I wanted to understand why?
Lets say There is a superior method than the current method to determine the ocean's age, it means that the earlier method that has been used for the same is inaccurate because we have a better method to ensure accuracy?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anikpait17 wrote:
I got that the answer is A but everyone is ignoring D. I wanted to understand why?

Lets say There is a superior method than the current method to determine the ocean's age, it means that the earlier method that has been used for the same is inaccurate because we have a better method to ensure accuracy?

Having a "superior" method doesn't necessarily mean that the inferior method is inaccurate -- both methods could be quite accurate, but if one is slightly better, you'd have to call that one superior.

The superior method might also be superior for other reasons aside from accuracy -- maybe that method is easier, faster, or cheaper, for example.

Having a superior method wouldn't necessarily invalidate the argument, so (D) is not a required assumption.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts