Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [28]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [5]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [3]
Send PM
Re: The Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Ame [#permalink]
Kudos
4. The primary purpose of the passage is to

The whole passage talks about the ties between church and state. It gives different perspectives of accommodationists (those who believe that church should be part of the state) and separationists (those who believe there should not be any ties between church and state).

A. question a constitutional principle, followed by a debate that weighs the pros and cons of that principle. (No advanatages or disadvantages of the inclusion/separation of church from state are discussed.)
B. present a fundamental policy rooted in American constitutionalism, as well as the perspectives of those who interpret its meaning.
C. outline an argument that supports why the intentions of those who drafted the Constitution should not be important. (No such viewpoint is mentioned)
D. evaluate the assumption of a constitutional debate. (No evaluation is done)
E. discuss the historical context for a legal doctrine and propose explanations that raise concerns on its relevance. (No such expalanations or concerns are discussed. Just two perspectives of a situation are presented)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Ame [#permalink]
Can somebody explain the second question.The interpretation of the American Founders' intentions regarding church and state is an important issue for constitutional discourse.
Where is such a thing mentioned?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
mounicadatti wrote:
Can somebody explain the second question.The interpretation of the American Founders' intentions regarding church and state is an important issue for constitutional discourse.
Where is such a thing mentioned?

Hi,

I came to option C by POE.
Going by the options:
Quote:
Because separation of church and state is not historically justified, then correcting this misconception has great implications.

A) This option says separation is not justified, but as per passage it's just one interpretation ( incorrect)
Quote:
The framers of America's political system did not intend for religious parties to hold office.

B) The intention of forefathers is also a matter of interpretation
Quote:
The interpretation of the American Founders' intentions regarding church and state is an important issue for constitutional discourse.

C) Hold as of now
Quote:
It is difficult to build sound constitutional doctrine on a misinterpretation of the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses.

D) there is no misinterpretation as per the passage, its just two types of interpretations

Quote:
The intentions of the Founding Fathers need to adapt and be reevaluated as societal norms change over time.

E) In the last passage the author mentions debate WILL continue. Author does not say that intentions need to be re-evaluated.

So C comes out as Best.

Also, if we infer the option C as a whole, it mentions that the interpretations will set a proper constitutional discourse.
It is correct because once they have a proper interpretation of the Founders, they will be able to decide whether to put government or religion together or keep them apart. Thus the interpretation forms an IMPORTANT part to set the political/constitutional discourse.

Please correct me or suggest if my reasoning is flawed.

Regards,
Rishav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Please help explain Q2 and Q3?

Q2. With which of the following statements would the author of the passage most likely agree?
I got B as the answer

Q3. Which of the following best describes how the quote in the last paragraph functions within the passage?
I was unable to figure out
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
nottheusual wrote:
Please help explain Q2 and Q3?

Q2. With which of the following statements would the author of the passage most likely agree?
I got B as the answer

Q3. Which of the following best describes how the quote in the last paragraph functions within the passage?

Hi nottheusual,

Not sure if you are still looking for answers, but let me know if you still have doubts.

Quote:
I got B as the answer
Quote:

Quote:
B. The framers of America's political system did not intend for religious parties to hold office.

Option B is incorrect because it's not clear whether or not the the framers of America's political system did not intend for religious parties to hold office, as arguments both in favor of and against the above statement can be found in the lines:

"Accomodationists argue against separatism, claiming that the Founding Fathers based this nation and the Constitution on Biblical values and beliefs, and want to see theology play an important role in the governing and legislation of America. They cite the word Creator in the Declaration of Independence -- "(all men) are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights.... "as evidence that the framers of the Constitution meant the US to be ruled according to divine law. Separationalists say that the Declaration of Independence, signed thirteen years before the Constitution was ratified on March 4, 1789, is not the law of the land; therefore, the First Amendment prohibits all intrusion between government and religion."

But we can definitely say that author would agree with option C, as considering what's mentioned in the passage, we can infer that the interpretation of the American Founders' intentions regarding church and state is an important issue for constitutional discourse.

Thus C is the correct answer.

Quote:

The quote in question: "Yet it can be argued that according to the New Testament (Matthew 22:21), when asked whether taxes should be paid to Caesar, Christ replied, Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

The quote implies that Church and State should be separated, which is also a view point discussed in the first two Paragraphs.
Thus A is the correct answer here.

Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts