GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2019, 04:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:58) correct 39% (01:17) wrong based on 163 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach toward the opposite directions.

(A) approach toward the opposite directions

(B) approach toward the opposite direction

(C) often approach from opposite directions

(D) approach from the opposite direction

(E) approach from opposite directions

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach toward the opposite direction (of his barn).

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach (his barn) from the opposite direction.

Which of the two above are logically correct and make sense to the ear?

Originally posted by BarneyStinson on 06 Mar 2010, 17:19.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Apr 2019, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Re: The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 13:22
We need 'direction' because there is only 1 opposite direction to west....which is east. that leaves B and D.

The reason I picked D was because D logically made sense.

The sentence is trying to show a contrast here. The farmer is planning to reinforce windows on east, EVEN THOUGH most wind storms develop to the west and approach from the opposite direction [east].....which means the wind storms go from east to west

B says.....wind storms develop to the west and approach toward the opposite direction [east]...that means wind storms develop to west and coming to the east.....if that were the case then the sentence dont have to use 'EVEN THOUGH' to show a contrast.

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach toward the opposite directions.

A) approach toward the opposite directions
B) approach toward the opposite direction
C) often approach from opposite directions
D) approach from the opposite direction
E) approach from opposite directions
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2010, 17:28
People or things approach from a (place) not towards a place. To approach from the opposite direction is logical and therefore (D) is correct.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2010, 07:52
I'm confused, "approach toward" is also idiomatic
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/na ... 46822.html
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2011, 11:31
Quote:

Answer: D
There can only be one opposite direction to each direction (in this case, 'to the west') --> eliminate A, C and E
Idiom: 'approach from' and never 'approach to' or 'approach towards' --> eliminate B
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 11:15
BarneyStinson wrote:

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach toward the opposite direction (of his barn).

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of his barn, even though most wind storms develop to the west and approach (his barn) from the opposite direction.

Which of the two above are logically correct and make sense to the ear?

I went with D
1. To the farmer the winds will approach from SOMEWHERE
2. Opposite direction should be singular.

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 04:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2019, 04:09

The farmer is planning to reinforce the windows on the eastern side of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap