GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 10:12
Will d be the answer if it is an assumption question instead of inference question?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 09:00
vivek1080 wrote:
Will d be the answer if it is an assumption question instead of inference question?

Hi Vivek,

While anything can be assumed, statement D is simply out of scope. The passage concerns the subset of lawyers who advertises, all other lawyers can be excluded.

I hope I have answered your question.

Best,
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 07:59
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise. Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) Some lawyers who now advertise will charge more for specific services if they do not have to specify fee arrangements in the advertisements.
Goes against the information stem. Total opposite.

(B) More consumers will use legal services if there are fewer restrictions on the advertising of legal services.
By common sense, legal service is not a product for which demand and supply applies.

(C) If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services.
This is actual rephrase. If the restrictions are lifted, legal costs will come down. And how will legal costs come down if more lawyers advertise.

(D) If more lawyers advertise lower prices for specific services, some lawyers who do not advertise will also charge less than they currently charge for those services.
We cannot predict the future.

(E) If the only restrictions on the advertising of legal services were those that apply to every type of advertising, most lawyers would advertise their services.
We do not know what other types of restrictions are on other types of advertisements.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 18:36
Hi GMATNinja generis VeritasPrepKarishma nightblade354

Can you please validate my reasoning and PoE:
I think the stimulus is most important part for an inference question since usually there is no conclusion present.

Quote:
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.

↓ restrictions on advertising of legal services → ↑ lawyers can advertise their services.
lawyers (who advertise specific service say family matters or criminal cases) → ↓ costs for customers than customers availing services of
lawyers who do not advertise their specific services. Hope my causal interpretation is correct.

Quote:
Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

States removing a current restriction (particular eg. one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements ) → ↓ legal costs for consumers
Very odd, but we do find a conclusion marked by therefore in this inference question.

Quote:

This suggests I need to infer from the statements above.

Quote:
(A) Some lawyers who now advertise will charge more for specific services if they do not have to specify fee arrangements in the advertisements.

The stimulus says that if lawyers do not have to specify fee arrangements in their advertisements then they shall charge less since they will be
able to advertise more.
This option is completely opposite.

Quote:
(B) More consumers will use legal services if there are fewer restrictions on the advertising of legal services.

Sound too logical and compelling, but the stimulus does not say so. It is very hard though to disregard common sense
in saying if lower restrictions lead to lower costs, why would consumers not avail such legal services.

Quote:
(C) If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services

I missed this in initial read since specific arrangements is mentioned in only last sentence and is one of example of restrictions to be planned
imposing by state. The first sentence of argument merely tells advertisements about legal services. In a way this option is so
close to paraphrasing first sentence of argument.

Quote:
(D) If more lawyers advertise lower prices for specific services, some lawyers who do not advertise will also charge less than they currently charge for those services.

I can not infer about the group in underlined portion.

Quote:
(E) If the only restrictions on the advertising of legal services were those that apply to every type of advertising, most lawyers would advertise their services

The underlined portion is completely out of scope of topic discussed in argument.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 04:13
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja generis VeritasPrepKarishma nightblade354

I think the stimulus is most important part for an inference question since usually there is no conclusion present.

Quote:
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.

↓ restrictions on advertising of legal services → ↑ lawyers can advertise their services.
lawyers (who advertise specific service say family matters or criminal cases) → ↓ costs for customers than customers availing services of
lawyers who do not advertise their specific services. Hope my causal interpretation is correct.

Quote:
Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

States removing a current restriction (particular eg. one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements ) → ↓ legal costs for consumers
Very odd, but we do find a conclusion marked by therefore in this inference question.

Quote:

Quote:

The stimulus says that if lawyers do not have to specify fee arrangements in their advertisements then they shall charge less since they will be
able to advertise more.
This option is completely opposite.

Quote:

Sound too logical and compelling, but the stimulus does not say so. It is very hard though to disregard common sense
in saying if lower restrictions lead to lower costs, why would consumers not avail such legal services.

Quote:
(C) If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services

I missed this in initial read since specific arrangements is mentioned in only last sentence and is one of example of restrictions to be planned
imposing by state. The first sentence of argument merely tells advertisements about legal services. In a way this option is so
close to paraphrasing first sentence of argument.

Quote:

I can not infer about the group in underlined portion.

Quote:
(E) If the only restrictions on the advertising of legal services were those that apply to every type of advertising, most lawyers would advertise their services

The underlined portion is completely out of scope of topic discussed in argument.

You look good here, too. I would suggest that with (E) you understand that it cannot be inferred because it is never mentioned. I assume by "out of scope" this is what you meant, but I just wanted to mention it. There are many great replies above as well. Many non-mods/experts post great replies that can help you with your process, if you have questions. I am always happy to respond, but give others a chance :) they just might surprise you

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 06:48
adkikani wrote:

Every part of the prompt and the question are important, so it can be dangerous to assume that one part is more important than the others. It's not a very sexy thing to say, but you'll always want to break each question down as it’s written, and make your decisions based on exactly what's on the page -- without cherry-picking some bits that are more important.

Quote:
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise. Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

As you’ve noted, this prompt definitely has a conclusion: if the state removes any of its current restrictions... overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

So let’s break down how the author reaches this conclusion:
  • Lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.
  • If restrictions on advertising legal services decrease, then the number of lawyers who advertise their services increases.
  • There is a current restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements.
  • If the state removes any current restriction, then overall consumer legal costs will decrease.

Quote:

adkikani wrote:

That’s correct. It would be tempting to pick an answer choice that strengthens or completes the argument, but we’re being asked to identify which of the five statements below must be true based on the information already provided.

Note that the question stem is not something like, "The information provided most strongly supports which of the following?" That would be your classic inference question. Yes, we are looking for something that can be inferred from the passage. But, more specifically, we are looking for something that must be true based on the information already provided.

Let’s dive in!

Quote:

adkikani wrote:
The stimulus says that if lawyers do not have to specify fee arrangements in their advertisements then they shall charge less since they will be able to advertise more. This option is completely opposite.

To be more precise, the passage states that “lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.” Because we take this statement to be true, and because we see no information stating how these lawyers would change their fee amounts in response to this particular change, we eliminate (A).

Quote:

adkikani wrote:
Sound too logical and compelling, but the stimulus does not say so. It is very hard though to disregard common sense in saying if lower restrictions lead to lower costs, why would consumers not avail such legal services.

(B) is tempting because it bridges the logical gap between an increase in lawyers advertising services and a decrease in overall consumer legal costs. It would certainly strengthen the argument if true. However, nothing in the passage indicates that this must already be true. That’s why we eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services.

adkikani wrote:
I missed this in initial read since specific arrangements is mentioned in only last sentence and is one of example of restrictions to be planned imposing by state. The first sentence of argument merely tells advertisements about legal services. In a way this option is so close to paraphrasing first sentence of argument.

Yes, this option restates information that we’ve see in the passage:
  • If restrictions on advertising legal services decrease, then the number of lawyers who advertise their services increases.
  • There is a current restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements.

If each of these statements is true, then it must follow that removing this one current restriction will result in an increase in lawyers advertising legal services. Because (C) can be verified without bringing in any outside information, let’s keep it around as the best answer choice and finish reviewing the other choices.

Quote:

adkikani wrote:
I can not infer about the group in underlined portion

Right. There is no information about how lawyers who don’t advertise would behave, so we eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) If the only restrictions on the advertising of legal services were those that apply to every type of advertising, most lawyers would advertise their services.

adkikani wrote:

We see no information about how lawyers would change their advertising preferences in response to this particular use of restrictions. Eliminate (E).

That leaves us with (C) as the strongest (and correct) answer choices. I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 12:09
stolyar wrote:

Note: This question is from OG10 -- Q#11. Q#12 of OG10 has same stimulus but different questions.
OG10#11 (Must Be True): http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-fewer-res ... 51118.html
OG10#12 (Weaken): http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-fewer-res ... 33526.html

First note down the premises(inputs) given in argument.

1. \(Restrictions =K*1/Lawyers\) (fewer restrictions, more lawyers)
2. \(Adv Lawyer Charge < Non Adv Lawyer Charge\)

Conclusion=> \(Restrictions = M*Overall Consumer Cost\) (If restrictions are removed, they will be less than before so overall consumer cost will go down, which means restriction are proportional to overall consumer costs.)

Now, looking at conclusion and 1st premise=> \(M*Overall consumer cost = K*1/Lawyers\). So if cost will go down, number of lawyers will go up and hence C is correct.

if you look at A,B, D and E they are not at all supported by the given information and conclusion in the argument. for inference questions it is best to list down the info in the argument in this form to eliminate the incorrect choices faster.

Retaking gmat for second time, any re-takers please feel free to connect.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 03:57
GMATNinja, I am also of the opinion that info mentioned in choice C is already there in the argument.

Argument: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services

Option C: If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services.

So, C seems to be just a re-statement. Then how is it correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 20:31
Manukaran wrote:
GMATNinja, I am also of the opinion that info mentioned in choice C is already there in the argument.

Argument: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services

Option C: If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services.

So, C seems to be just a re-statement. Then how is it correct?

It's correct because the question asks, "If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?"

Can an inference be a couple logical steps away from the information in the passage? Absolutely. Can it be a simple re-phrasing of something in the passage? Absolutely. (More on common inference errors in this video.)

Every other choice can be eliminated, and (C) remains the only choice that's true according to the passage, so we're going to keep it. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 03:06
doe007 wrote:

Note: This question is from OG10 -- Q#11. Q#12 of OG10 has same stimulus but different questions.

Hi Bunuel

This is Question # 54 in OG 2015 So kindly add the tag "Source: OG 2015/OG13"

Thank You !!

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 03:08
SajjadAhmad wrote:
doe007 wrote:

Hi Bunuel

This is Question # 54 in OG 2015 So kindly add the tag "Source: OG 2015/OG13"

Thank You !!

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 07:46
Why d can't be the answer because according to statement overall charge is reducing and that is only possible when all lawyers will charge less

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, &nbs [#permalink] 21 Nov 2018, 07:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap