It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 267

Kudos [?]: 573 [0], given: 22

The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 23:30
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:32) correct 50% (01:49) wrong based on 15 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover only Asia and Europe, 6 reporters cover only Asia and North America, and 7 reporters cover only Europe and North America. The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering Asia, Europe, and North America. How many reporters cover Asia, Europe, and North America?

Don't have the answer choices to this question.

Kudos [?]: 573 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

Re: Problem Solving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2009, 03:49
In 3 overlapping zone/number questions, remember:

total = sum of (Asia only + Europe only + NorthAmerica only) + 2*(AsiaEurope+AsiaNorth+EuropeNorth) + 3*(AsiaEuropeNorth)

Solving for AsiaEuropeNorth, you will get 4.
_________________

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 43334

Kudos [?]: 139606 [1], given: 12794

Re: Problem Solving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2009, 06:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
study wrote:
The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover only Asia and Europe, 6 reporters cover only Asia and North America, and 7 reporters cover only Europe and North America. The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering Asia, Europe, and North America. How many reporters cover Asia, Europe, and North America?

Don't have the answer choices to this question.


Disagree with the answer 4.

Total=38=25(Asia)+20(Europe)+20(America)-4(Asia and Europe)-6(Asia and America)-7(Europe and America)-2x(x is Asia, Europe and America, twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x) --> x=5
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 139606 [1], given: 12794

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2011
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Location: India
Re: Problem Solving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2011, 20:13
Bunuel wrote:

Total=38=25(Asia)+20(Europe)+20(America)-4(Asia and Europe)-6(Asia and America)-7(Europe and America)-2x(x is Asia, Europe and America, twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x) --> x=5


I think x = 10. :-D

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 30

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Problem Solving [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2011, 09:37
what is the answer here? 5 or 10??

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Re: The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 06:36
Bunuel wrote:
study wrote:
The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover only Asia and Europe, 6 reporters cover only Asia and North America, and 7 reporters cover only Europe and North America. The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering Asia, Europe, and North America. How many reporters cover Asia, Europe, and North America?

Don't have the answer choices to this question.


Disagree with the answer 4.

Total=38=25(Asia)+20(Europe)+20(America)-4(Asia and Europe)-6(Asia and America)-7(Europe and America)-2x(x is Asia, Europe and America, twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x) --> x=5



The answer is truly 5, the only number that can complete for 38 total as the question stem, Bunuel is correct but I just can't understand how to get this result.

Can you explain the reason why you put the "-2x" in the formula. "Twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x".

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 43334

Kudos [?]: 139606 [0], given: 12794

Re: The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 06:39
AlexandreFBelo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
study wrote:
The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover only Asia and Europe, 6 reporters cover only Asia and North America, and 7 reporters cover only Europe and North America. The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering Asia, Europe, and North America. How many reporters cover Asia, Europe, and North America?

Don't have the answer choices to this question.


Disagree with the answer 4.

Total=38=25(Asia)+20(Europe)+20(America)-4(Asia and Europe)-6(Asia and America)-7(Europe and America)-2x(x is Asia, Europe and America, twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x) --> x=5



The answer is truly 5, the only number that can complete for 38 total as the question stem, Bunuel is correct but I just can't understand how to get this result.

Can you explain the reason why you put the "-2x" in the formula. "Twice as the x was counted 3 times, so we should deduct 2x".

Thanks


Please check ADVANCED OVERLAPPING SETS PROBLEMS

Hope this helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 139606 [0], given: 12794

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4692

Kudos [?]: 3323 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 11:33
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover Asia and Europe but not North America, 6 reporters cover Asia and North America but not Europe, and 7 reporters cover Europe and North America but not Asia. How many reporters cover all of the 3 continents (Asia, Europe, and North America)?

(1) The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering at least 1 of the following continents: Asia, Europe, and North America.
(2) There are more Financial News Daily reporters covering only Asia than there are Financial News Daily reporters covering only North America.

If we modify the original condition and the question, we can get a diagram like below (and we can continue from there).

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
Attachments

20151228_025648.jpg
20151228_025648.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 1169 times ]

20151228_025657.jpg
20151228_025657.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 1168 times ]

20151228_025711.jpg
20151228_025711.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 1170 times ]


_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3323 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14210

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 11:00
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 0

Re: The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 11:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.