Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 18:17 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 18:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [5]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Given Kudos: 1576
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: The gospel of DNA research states that the all-familiar double-helix i [#permalink]
khadatkarabhishek wrote:
Plz explain why option D is correct over option B in this passage

Hi khadatkarabhishek,

Could you phrase your question correctly. In which question exactly are you facing the issue?

Thanks.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 36329 [2]
Given Kudos: 5828
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The gospel of DNA research states that the all-familiar double-helix i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
1. Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of some scientists that unnatural pair replication can be improved?
C) Scientists have shown promising research in developing and altering polyamerase enzymes, and improving their capabilities.
D) The mistakes made in every thousand unnatural pairs are not significant and would not inhibit the development of new living organisms.

Both are very close, and I cannot choose one over the other. Help SajjadAhmad

Hello AnirudhaS

D) The mistakes made in every thousand unnatural pairs are not significant and would not inhibit the development of new living organisms.

The Highlighted part of option D above looks very promising, related and almost perfect but actually it is not, we have to look at the rest part of it. A problem being non significant doesn't mean the development will take place. This further text uses unauthentic scenario according to the literature available in the RC. C is better than D.

PS: This question looks a bit debatable, I would say it is not a good quality question. Option C although is better than D but itself it didn't qualify to become the OA. It lacks the rules/logic of CR of GMAT.

Regards
Sajjad
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [3]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Kudos
Kaplan’s Official Explanation
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of some scientists that unnatural pair replication can be improved?

A) It is unlikely that any other elements of the DNA base pair replication process can be improved upon in order to create a higher success rate for replication.
B) Scientists have in the past been able to alter enzymes other than polyamerase.
C) Scientists have shown promising research in developing and altering polyamerase enzymes, and improving their capabilities.
E) Dr. Romesberg's research has been well funded throughout the last decade.

Answer Choice (C) states that the polyamerase enzyme, an enzyme involved in replicating DNA base pairs, can be improved upon. So (C) is correct.
Choice (A) is a 180, weakening instead of strengthening our case.
Choice (B) is out of scope and does not strengthen the conclusion that this pair can be improved upon. We aren't interested in enzymes other than polymerase.
Choice (D) is also out of scope; the significance of the mistake is irrelevant; we only care about preventing the mistake in the first place.
Choice (E) does not provide any relevant information and is also out of scope; we are not interested in the funding of Dr. Romesberg's research.

The statements in the passage most strongly support which of the following inferences?

A) Dr. Romesberg is the only scientist to develop an unnatural pair.
B) Other laboratories in the U.S. have created unnatural pairs.
C) Dr. Romesberg is not the only scientist to create a replicable unnatural pair.
D) Unnatural pairs have been infused other than those infused by Dr. Romesberg.
E) Combining the two 3-fluorobenzene molecules was the chief obstacle to Dr. Romesberg's research.
Make a Prediction: We'll have to research as we evaluate each answer, predicting only that four of these answers won't be necessarily true based on the passage, and one will be.
Evaluate the Answer Choices: Choice (A) is extreme, and a 180. We know Dr. Romesberg isn't the "only" scientist to develop an unnatural pair, since it was "no new development."
While we know that other labs have done it, is a distortion to say they are necessarily in the United States, as in choice (B).
Choice (C) is not necessarily the case; in fact, the replication is described as an "innovation" of Dr. Romesberg.
Answer Choice (D) matches the third sentence of paragraph 2: creating the pair was no innovation. Therefore, choice (D) is correct.
Choice (E) is a faulty use of detail; we are not given any information about a "chief obstacle".

According to the passage, which of the following is true about base pairs?

A) Unnatural pairs have greater potential to produce medicinal breakthroughs than do natural pairs.
B) Natural pairs are 1000 times more likely to develop a mistake as an unnatural pair.
C) The 3FB-3FB pair is far more unstable than the adenine-thymine pair.
D) 3FB can only bond with itself to form an unnatural pair.
E) The adenine-thymine pair is common to all living organisms.
Answer Choice (E) is correct, since it reflects information clearly stated in the first paragraph.
Choice (A) is an irrelevant comparison with no supporting evidence.
Choice (B) is a 180, since natural pairs are less likely to develop a mistake.
Choice (C) is a faulty use of detail, since it's not clear that one is more or less "stable."
Choice (D) is extreme, since it is not clear that 3FB cannot bond with anything else, just that it can bond with itself.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14043 posts