Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 07:19 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 07:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Level,    Coordinate Geometry,                            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640704 [78]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1636 [44]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13776 [9]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: The graph of the equation xy = k, where k < 0, lies in which two of th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

The graph of the equation xy = k, where k < 0, lies in which two of the quadrants shown above?

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
2015-10-16_0900.png

x, y will be different in SIGN, meaning that x <0, y>0 or x>0, y<0

=> Ans: D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8977 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The graph of the equation xy = k, where k < 0, lies in which two of th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
xy = k
and k <0
=> x< 0 or y <0
So ,the coordinates will have opposite signs .

Quadrant 2 : (-x , y )
Quadrant 4 : (x,-y)

Answer D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6562 [4]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

The graph of the equation xy = k, where k < 0, lies in which two of the quadrants shown above?

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
2015-10-16_0900.png

Solution:

We are given the equation xy = k, where k is negative. It follows that x and y must have opposite signs. That is, either x is positive and y is negative, which is only possible in Quadrant IV, or, x is negative and y is positive, which is only possible in Quadrant II.

Answer: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2360 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
2015-10-16_0900.png

xy=k ==>xy=k+0
y=k/x +0
equation for line is y=mx+b
So we know y intercept is 0 which means when x=0, y=0
Meaning the line is passing through the origin (0,0) ==> perfect.
Now we need to figure out the slope==> k is the slope==> it is negative (given in question stem)==> line starts in Q II passes through the origin (0,0) and enters Q IV

Answer should have Q II and Q IV in it.
ANSWER IS D
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2438 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help. I suggest picking a simple negative number for k, such as -1, to make the concept more clear.

Note that the question doesn't say what k equals, so you are allowed to set the value of k to any negative number, and it should still work.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 4.07.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 4.07.06 PM.png [ 76.29 KiB | Viewed 48746 times ]

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1865 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
The attachment 2015-10-16_0900.png is no longer available

Graphical solution. Since xy < 0, either x or y is negative.
Attachment:
xy = k.png
xy = k.png [ 41.89 KiB | Viewed 29473 times ]

Answer D.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1744 [6]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13776 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
2015-10-16_0900.png

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
If a point lies on the graph of xy = k,
then the
product of the point's x- and y-coordinates is k.
Since k is negative, it follows that for any such point,
the product of the point's x- and y-coordinates is
negative.
Therefore, for any such pbint, the point's
x-and y-coordinates have opposite signs, and hence
the point must be in quadrant II or in quadrant IV.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
To determine in which two quadrants the graph of the equation xy = k lies, where k < 0, we can analyze the behavior of the equation in different quadrants.

Let's consider the signs of x and y in each quadrant:

Quadrant I: Both x and y are positive.
Quadrant II: x is negative, but y is positive.
Quadrant III: Both x and y are negative.
Quadrant IV: x is positive, but y is negative.
Given that k < 0, the equation xy = k implies that x and y have opposite signs. One of them is negative, while the other is positive.

From the above analysis, we can conclude that the graph of the equation xy = k lies in Quadrants II and IV (D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
You could solve this in under 30 seconds, you should be just aware of the different equation types and their respective graphs.
Organize in the correct form x*y=k, so that y=[k][/x]. This equation is a Hyperbole, in the most accessible form it is Y=1/x which exists in the I and III Q.
Now, just as quickly, Y=(-)k/x is the same hyperbole, BUT switching the Q, such that it exists in the II and IV Q.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
2015-10-16_0900.png

xy=k ==>xy=k+0
y=k/x +0
Now we need to figure out the slope==> k is the slope==> it is negative (given in question stem)==> line starts in Q II passes through the origin (0,0) and enters Q IV

ANSWER IS D

Thank you for your solution.

I have a quick doubt - Please can you explain if it okay to have the equation of the line in the form y=k/x+0. I understand that the value of x (in any line y=mx+b) can be an integer or fraction but to have x coordinate in the denominator does not align with the slope equation. In the slope intercept form x is multiplied with the slope and not divided. Hence, is it not different to form a line that has a fractional value of x from having a line that has the x cooridnate in the denominator?

In simpler terms is it okay to have a slope equation of the form that is being made here?

I am not sure if there's conceptual gap in my understanding? Please can mike GMATNinja ian KarishmaB marty scott anyone help explain this to me?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640704 [1]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kop18 wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) I and II
(B) I and III
(C) II and III
(D) II and IV
(E) III and IV

Attachment:
The attachment 2015-10-16_0900.png is no longer available

xy=k ==>xy=k+0
y=k/x +0

ANSWER IS D

I have a quick doubt - Please can you explain if it okay to have the equation of the line in the form y=k/x+0. I understand that the value of x (in any line y=mx+b) can be an integer or fraction but to have x coordinate in the denominator does not align with the slope equation. In the slope intercept form x is multiplied with the slope and not divided. Hence, is it not different to form a line that has a fractional value of x from having a line that has the x cooridnate in the denominator?

In simpler terms is it okay to have a slope equation of the form that is being made here?

I am not sure if there's conceptual gap in my understanding? Please can mike GMATNinja ian KarishmaB marty scott anyone help explain this to me?

I think you're under the impression that xy = k is the equation of a line, which is not accurate. In fact, xy = k, where k ≠ 0, results in a hyperbola. For instance, see this graph of xy = -10:

To solve this question, you don't really need all of this. Having xy equal to a negative number means that when x is positive, y is negative. Therefore, in this case, all points are in the IV quadrant. Conversely, when x is negative, y is positive. Thus, in this case, all points are in the II quadrant.

Answer: D.

Attachment:
desmos-graph (2).png
desmos-graph (2).png [ 60.96 KiB | Viewed 5009 times ]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM

I am not sure if there's conceptual gap in my understanding? Please can mike GMATNinja ian KarishmaB marty scott anyone help explain this to me?[/quote]

I think you're under the impression that xy = k is the equation of a line, which is not accurate. In fact, xy = k, where k ≠ 0, results in a hyperbola. For instance, see this graph of xy = -10:

To solve this question, you don't really need all of this. Having xy equal to a negative number means that when x is positive, y is negative. Therefore, in this case, all points are in the IV quadrant. Conversely, when x is negative, y is positive. Thus, in this case, all points are in the II quadrant.

Answer: D.

Attachment:
desmos-graph (2).png
[/quote]

Thanks Bunuel this makes sense. I got a little confused with the solution above. This clarifies my doubt as to why the equation in this question is not that of a line and actually forms a parabola. Hence, will not be of the form y=mx+b.

Just an add on question - Can you confirm if there can be a case/possibility to have an equation (in which the x coordinate is in the denominator) similar to the one that is formed in this question?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22627 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Expert Reply
kop18 wrote:

It's definitely not accurate to say that xy = k defines a line with equation y = k/x + 0. The equation of a line cannot have an x in the denominator. Since k is negative, point (0, 0) is not on the curve defined by the equation xy = k either. As others have pointed out, this equation defines a hyperbola, but you don't need to know that, and as far as I know, hyperbolas are not tested in GMAT either. The only observation you need to make to answer this question is that if the product of two numbers is negative, then one number must be positive and the other must be negative.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94342 posts