GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 15:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The great Laptop discussion forum

new topic post reply Update application status  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 08:34
svrider wrote:
Good deal on a reliable laptop. Rhyme can vouch for it too :)
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/13/leno ... ng-or-649/

INSANE PRICE!!!!
Best deal on Thinkpad X series I've ever seen.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 13:26
nink wrote:
svrider wrote:
Good deal on a reliable laptop. Rhyme can vouch for it too :)
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/13/leno ... ng-or-649/

INSANE PRICE!!!!
Best deal on Thinkpad X series I've ever seen.

I am holding out for a similar deal on x200. I know the 4:3 screens have more viewable area (for same diagonal) but I still prefer a widescreen. Also, bought a Samsung x360 recently for $750 and it is awesome!
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 19:41
Do you guys know about how much the X200s weigh in at?

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 19:59
rca215 wrote:

Depends on the battery that you will load inside.

6 cell battery equipped one will weigh at 3 lbs. 9 cell battery will drive it up to about 3.7 lbs.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2009, 22:30
Any thoughts on the Sony VAIO laptops? I've been seeing some deals on them and they seem to have a better reputation than Dell and HP, etc.

But how do they fare in terms of durability? And any recommendations on specific model lines?

Still not sure if I want to go the Ideapad (or Thinkpad) route just yet -- the weak multimedia on my old T40 and the lack of touchpad on many models is a small concern...

Thanks!
CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2009, 23:33
I used to be a big fan of the SZ series (this is now replaced with SR/NZ range I believe). But my most recent purchase (one of the newer SZ series) gave me problems that have put me off Vaios forever. The brand new Vaio's speakers were busted. When I got a replacement model, the wireless card broke down in a week or so. The warranty covered it, but its a case of once burnt twice shy now. Overall the laptop doesn't feel very durable - I wouldn't bet my life on it surviving two more years (I only bought it last year).

So, I bit the bullet and ordered myself a Lenovo X200s last week.

prashok wrote:
Any thoughts on the Sony VAIO laptops? I've been seeing some deals on them and they seem to have a better reputation than Dell and HP, etc.

But how do they fare in terms of durability? And any recommendations on specific model lines?

Still not sure if I want to go the Ideapad (or Thinkpad) route just yet -- the weak multimedia on my old T40 and the lack of touchpad on many models is a small concern...

Thanks!
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Mar 2009, 16:31
kryzak wrote:
egy wrote:
Which processor do you have with it? Any issues performance wise?

kryzak wrote:
I have the lenovo X200 and I love it. The size is perfect, the widescreen is nice, and the keyboard is spectacular. Nothing beats Thinkpad keyboards. The perfect touch. :)

And you can get a good system for about $1300 if you have an employee discount. :)

I think I have the top end one, 2.4GHz dual core. Zero performance issues. It runs very fast. Battery life if you're actively using the computer (word, internet, etc...) is roughly 6-ish hours for a 9-cell battery, using level 5 brightness (out of 15).

How is the weight and bulkiness with the 9 cell battery? Do you notice the "bulge" of the 9 cell sticking out? I want the life of the 9 cell but I'm not sure if it adds much in hauling work over the 6 cell. Also, what do you think of the screen brightness?

I'm debating the X200 vs. X200s and looking for any opinions. I can get the former for $1200 including an onsite+accidental 3-year warranty. I can do the X200s for a bit over $1400 for the same warrant. I would probably go with the 6 cell on the X200s since it runs a bit longer and to save weight. I gather the other plus of the X200s is a better screen, besides the BIG plus of being a lot lighter. I don't really know if the weight makes much of a difference (about 0.6 pounds between 6 cell X200s and 9 cell X200). Any thoughts? Also, what about the performance of the X200s? It has slower processor but I'm not sure how significant the difference will be running Vista.

I change my mind on the topic every 30 seconds it seems. Someone please tell me the weight difference isn't a big deal and that the X200 has a lovely screen! :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Rubashov1 on 25 Mar 2009, 16:29.
Last edited by Rubashov1 on 25 Mar 2009, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2009, 16:31
nink wrote:
rca215 wrote:

Depends on the battery that you will load inside.

6 cell battery equipped one will weigh at 3 lbs. 9 cell battery will drive it up to about 3.7 lbs.

Doing more research it looks like the X200 (not X200s) comes in at 3.58 pounds with the 9 cell. The X200s maxes at 3.3 pounds, but is 3.0 with the 6 cell.

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2009, 17:38
I went through the same and decided on an X200s. My reasoning was simple - more screen real estate is worth more than a little extra processing power. The weight stuff is just an added bonus.

rca215 wrote:
I think I have the top end one, 2.4GHz dual core. Zero performance issues. It runs very fast. Battery life if you're actively using the computer (word, internet, etc...) is roughly 6-ish hours for a 9-cell battery, using level 5 brightness (out of 15).
How is the weight and bulkiness with the 9 cell battery? Do you notice the "bulge" of the 9 cell sticking out? I want the life of the 9 cell but I'm not sure if it adds much in hauling work over the 6 cell. Also, what do you think of the screen brightness?

I'm debating the X200 vs. X200s and looking for any opinions. I can get the former for $1200 including an onsite+accidental 3-year warranty. I can do the X200s for a bit over $1400 for the same warrant. I would probably go with the 6 cell on the X200s since it runs a bit longer and to save weight. I gather the other plus of the X200s is a better screen, besides the BIG plus of being a lot lighter. I don't really know if the weight makes much of a difference (about 0.6 pounds between 6 cell X200s and 9 cell X200). Any thoughts? Also, what about the performance of the X200s? It has slower processor but I'm not sure how significant the difference will be running Vista.

I change my mind on the topic every 30 seconds it seems. Someone please tell me the weight difference isn't a big deal and that the X200 has a lovely screen! :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2009, 20:58
prashok wrote:

Thanks!

My experience with VAIO laptops have been quite consistent. They are great in the first year or so, but once they start falling apart, they just fall into pieces. I don't trust VAIOs that are older than one year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2009, 20:29
Thanks for the input, bsd and xenok -- looks like I will end up going the Lenovo route, especially with the employee discount.

xenok wrote:
My experience with VAIO laptops have been quite consistent. They are great in the first year or so, but once they start falling apart, they just fall into pieces. I don't trust VAIOs that are older than one year.

bsd_lover wrote:
I used to be a big fan of the SZ series (this is now replaced with SR/NZ range I believe). But my most recent purchase (one of the newer SZ series) gave me problems that have put me off Vaios forever. The brand new Vaio's speakers were busted. When I got a replacement model, the wireless card broke down in a week or so. The warranty covered it, but its a case of once burnt twice shy now. Overall the laptop doesn't feel very durable - I wouldn't bet my life on it surviving two more years (I only bought it last year).

So, I bit the bullet and ordered myself a Lenovo X200s last week.
CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 01:44
OK I finally got my X200s. First impressions - I LOVE IT. Its small but not too small. Its light, but feels extremely solid. I was not sure whether I'd like the trackpoint - but it takes about 5 mts getting used to it. Once I started using it, the trackpoint felt more ergonomic than a touch pad. Lenovo has really done well with its attention to detail. I also got a whole bunch of accessories. Let me know if folks are interested in an in depth review.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 06:33
bsd_lover wrote:
OK I finally got my X200s. First impressions - I LOVE IT. Its small but not too small. Its light, but feels extremely solid. I was not sure whether I'd like the trackpoint - but it takes about 5 mts getting used to it. Once I started using it, the trackpoint felt more ergonomic than a touch pad. Lenovo has really done well with its attention to detail. I also got a whole bunch of accessories. Let me know if folks are interested in an in depth review.

I would definitely be interested, particularly when it comes to performance versus machines with a slightly heftier processor.

Also, I use a Lenovo for work now that has a trackpoint and touchpad. I almost never use the touchpad, so hopefully you'll learn to appreciate it as much as I do.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 11:06
bsd_lover wrote:

What battery did you get?

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 17:54
I got a nine cell. I must say - this thing lasts forever. I used it with wireless, bluetooth and full brightness on and still got over 8 hours. The weight is not too bad and the portrusion at the back is pretty acceptable. I can see myself going to Uni and not needing the power adapter at all.

rca215 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

What battery did you get?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2009, 19:06
Since you guys brought up batteries, that's right in my wheelhouse (my current job is research in this area.)

Here's some common questions I get about Li-Ion batteries (which is what your laptop uses):

1. How do I get the maximum life out of my batteries?

a) Heat. Avoid exposing your laptop to high temperatures (e.g. leaving on the dashboard of a car, or a picnic table on a really sunny day.) You don't have to go as far as storing it in the freezer or anything along those lines. Just keep it around 25oC/77oF.

b) Don't wait till the battery is almost dead to recharge it. This is a myth that was carried over from the old battery technology (nickel based batteries.) Li-ion batteries do NOT have "power memory," so charge it every night, it's actually better for the battery.

c) This is only for the hardcore people who really want to squeeze every single second of life out of their batteries. If you really want to extend the life of your batteries, don't ever fully charge your batteries either. Think of a pendulum, and 50% charge as the equilibrium. If you can constantly charge/discharge your battery around the 50% charge state, your battery will last for a long time (that's the strategy being used for Li-ion batteries that will be going into hybrid cars.) So if you want to do this, you'll charge your battery till about 60% power, then use it till it drops to 40%, then charge it back up to 60% etc. I don't recommend this because it's such a HUGE pain to do, but if you're obsessive about battery life, you can try it.

d) Remove the battery if it's fully charged and you have the laptop connected to the power adapter. The effectiveness of this is somewhat debatable, and I think modern circuitry has improved so this may not be necessary.

2. If I want to replace my batteries, should I pay the ridiculous price for a brand new one from the supplier (e.g. Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc.) or use third party services (people who will take apart your battery and replace only the cells) that are much cheaper?

I hate to give this answer, but it depends. If you want peace of mind, just fork out the dough and get it from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. If you want to save some money, you can take it to third party places that will replace just the cells. The problem with the latter method is that the battery circuitry is designed specifically for a certain type of cell. If they replace with your cells a different type, while you *probably* won't have any safety issues, the cells may not last very long or be as effective.

Here's an example. Sanyo is the leading Li-ion battery manufacturer in the world, and BYD is the biggest Chinese battery manufacturer. Sanyo batteries are obviously better, but let's say you bought a Lenovo and it uses BYD cells. You take your battery and ask a third party company to replace just the cells with Sanyo cells. Logic dictates that since you replaced BYD cells with Sanyo cells, which are better, your battery should last longer. NO! It doesn't work that way. The circuity in your battery (called the Battery Management System, BMS) is designed for the BYD cells, so even though you technically replaced it with better Sanyo cells, your battery will not be as effective.

How do I replace the battery in my laptop which doesn't have a detachable battery pack (e.g. Macbook Air)?

Sorry, you can't. You're SOL. These batteries are soldered onto the main circuit board, and it would be very risky to replace them. Apple (not to single them out, but they are the main culprits) do this for two main reasons. First, removing battery connectors and soldering the battery directly to the board allows them to build a slimmer laptop/device (e.g. iPod nano.) Second, if the battery dies the customer has to get a brand new laptop or iPod (those bastards!)

Let me know if yo have any other questions about your battery.
SVP
SVP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2009, 20:45
xenok wrote:
Since you guys brought up batteries, that's right in my wheelhouse (my current job is research in this area.)

Here's some common questions I get about Li-Ion batteries (which is what your laptop uses):

By far, the BEST info I picked up in this entire thread.
Kudos +5, if Kudos was still around.... :cry:

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2009, 11:23
Wow, xenok awesome post. Imaginary kudos to you.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 03:16
I am still leaning towards getting a desktop + netbook combo, because I like a big screen for work at home and a computer I can leave on for 24 hrs. However, I got my firsthand experience with the Lenovo X200 today. I designed a new test equipment for my lab recently, and I requested a laptop to go with the equipment for data acquisition purposes. The company that custom built the equipment bought a X200. I must say I was impressed. I starting to waver a little now.
CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 23:43
xenok - just a few observations to waver you further. I ordered a dock along with my X200s. Once I connect the dock with a keyboard, big screen and mouse, there is literally no difference between the the X200 and a full blown desktop. And, I get a much more functional computer to carry around. This also saves one the hassles of transporting a desktop if one needs to be mobile (I know I will need to be pretty mobile).

xenok wrote:
I am still leaning towards getting a desktop + netbook combo, because I like a big screen for work at home and a computer I can leave on for 24 hrs. However, I got my firsthand experience with the Lenovo X200 today. I designed a new test equipment for my lab recently, and I requested a laptop to go with the equipment for data acquisition purposes. The company that custom built the equipment bought a X200. I must say I was impressed. I starting to waver a little now.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum &nbs [#permalink] 07 Apr 2009, 23:43

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  30    Next  [ 593 posts ] 

The great Laptop discussion forum

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap