Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 05:26
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:23) correct 20% (01:25) wrong based on 321 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests were lower this year than in previous years. This year, all students took math courses during the first period of the school day; in years past, they had taken math during the final period of the day. Reasoning that the students perform better on math tests when they are fully awake, the headmaster concluded that test scores would be higher if math classes were moved to the end of the day.

The headmaster’s reasoning depends upon which of the following assumptions?

(A) It would be possible to reconfigure the school’s schedule to accommodate having math classes in the afternoon.
(B) Several schools similar to Leawood Day School hold math classes in the afternoon.
(C) The quality of the teaching has little bearing on test scores.
(D) This year the math department started using new, unfamiliar curricular materials.
(E) Students are more likely to be fully awake during the final period of the day than they are during the first period of the day.

D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Re: The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 05:48
+1 for E.

Stimulus :
Premise : Math test's scores were lower this year than in previous years
Premise : This year, all students took math courses during the first period of the school day (students are NOT fully awake during the first period)
Premise : Last year, they had taken math during the final period of the day (students are fully awake during the final period)
Conclusion : Students perform better on math tests when they are fully awake, an so the headmaster believes that test scores would be higher if math classes were moved to the end of the day for students are fully awake during the final period.

(E) Students are more likely to be fully awake during the final period of the day than they are during the first period of the day. --> Correct, negate the statement and see how it affects the conclusion.

Hence, E.

General Discussion
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 05:48
Only E is showing the gap between the arguments. If E is false then argument will fell apart.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Intern
Intern
B
The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 06:31
E) Students are more likely to be fully awake during the final period of the day than they are during the first period of the day.
just follow the negation:- students are not more likely to be fully awake during the final period of the day than they are during the first of the day.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 01:00
I know the answer is option E, which is adherent to the argument gap in premise and conclusion.

But can u explain option C, and please tell whether option C had been mentioned as " quality of teaching has remained the same " , then would it could also be a possible assumption

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 10:12
Can someone explain why C is wrong?
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 10:24
Mike03 wrote:
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

C) The quality of the teaching has little bearing on test scores.
Negate C: The quality of the teaching has NO little bearing on test scores.===The quality of the teaching has MORE bearing on test scores.

does this affects the conclusion in anyway.

Therefore this is not correct

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 09:50
I'm confused between C & E
Here the head master's reasoning is that students perform better on math tests when they are fully awake. Based on this reasoning he has drawn a conclusion that test scores would be higher if maths classes were moved to end of the day. Now the question asks us for the assumption based on which the reasoning is dependent and not the conclusion. I think the reasoning provided by him is based on his assumption that no other parameter affects a student's performance. Thus c should be the answer
Whereas if question was about assumption for conclusion, it would have been E.
Experts please help!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests   [#permalink] 08 May 2019, 09:50

The headmaster at Leawood Day School noticed that scores on math tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics