Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [83]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [46]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [6]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

ngobaotrung wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing

(B) and had supplemented

(C) and even though they supplemented

(D) although they supplemented

(E) but with supplementing

Choice A: This answer choice employs the "Verb+ing" modifier, rather than the continuous verb "supplementing"; in doing so, this answer choice fails to bring out the needed contrast and implies that the Iroquois' supplementation is an ongoing process. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense to refer to the Iroquois' supplementation; this tense is only used when referring to the earlier of two events, and this sentence makes it clear that the Iroquois practiced farming, hunting, and fishing simultaneously. Additionally, this answer choice uses the conjunction "and", which does not convey contrast. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice incorrectly links a dependent clause to an independent clause through the conjunction "and". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice maintains proper conjunction and tense use and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the error found in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Although, Though, Despite, and While on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Should be D.
To show proper contrast we need "although".

The original sentence is trying to tell that the Iroquois were planters despite the fact that they supplemented their cultivation of......with......

The Iroquois were primarily a planters, although they supplemented their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
The Iroquois were primarily a planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.
A.
B. and had supplemented
C. and eventhough they supplemented
D. although they supplemented
E. but with supplementing

A. as if they are still supplementing. so wrong
B wrong connecting word. it shuld be but
c and eventhough. two connecting words make it awkward
d .correct
e . but corrects one prob . the -ing is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Bookmarks
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [0]
Send PM
ajit257 wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks

Hi,

in the original, "supplementing" leaves us wanting more - the sentence needs another phrase to be complete. Eliminate A and E.

We predict: "but supplemented" would fix the problem, so let's scan the choices.

B has the connector "and" - changes the meaning of the sentence (we lose the contrast) - get rid of B.

C has "and even though", requiring another verb in the sentence (just like A and E) - eliminate C.

Only D remains - "although they supplemented" is similar to our prediction and works just fine. Choose D!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Well i have a doubt about the usage of 'although'. I thought it was never used in the middle of the sc and always at the beginning.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [0]
Send PM
ajit257 wrote:
Well i have a doubt about the usage of 'although'. I thought it was never used in the middle of the sc and always at the beginning.

I'm not aware of any such rule - it may be similar to the "never start a sentence with because" rule, which also isn't a real rule (i.e. it's OK to start a sentence with "because").
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
More specifically, and is used as a coordinating conjunction in C, and so, must be followed with an Independent clause (this is a property of coordinating conjunctions). In this case, and is just followed by a dependent clause, and hence is not correct.

p.s. Sentence fragments are tested quite extensively on GMAT. Our book discusses in detail, the various scenarios in which Sentence fragments appear. If you could PM me your mail id, I can send you the relevant section.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing -- since but is preceded by a comma , we should have a independent clause after but -- subject and verb missing
(B) and had supplemented -- contrast is lost ; usage of past perfect is incorrect ; comma+and must be followed by an independent clause
(C) and even though they supplemented -- usage of and--> contrast is lost ; need an independent clause after and
(D) although they supplemented -- Correct
(E) but with supplementing -- since but is preceded by a comma , we should have a independent clause after but -- subject and verb missing

Answer D
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat [#permalink]
Abhi077 VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun MentorTutoring

Quote:

(A) but supplementing

I treated supplementing as a gerund, i.e. noun acting as an action verb.
E.g. Travelling around the word is one of my dreams.

Also I cut off (D) since only FANBOYS can connect two independent clauses, not although. May I know where I faltered?
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [1]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

(A) but supplementing

Also I cut off (D) since only FANBOYS can connect two independent clauses, not although. May I know where I faltered?

Meaning of the sentence is important here, This sentence calls for a contrast, hence the conjunction Although is necessary for e.g, He decided to go, although I begged him not to, you can see the contrast presented by although. And yes, you're right about FANBOYS but then there's no verb in the 2nd clause making it a dependent clause. supplementing is not a verb.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Hi adkikani,

1. One way to look at this to replace the (expected) nouns with X and Y.

The Iroquois were primarily X, but Y.

Let's ignore the comma for a moment. The main problem with this is that the Iroquois were not Y. That is, they were not "supplementing". For example, if we say something like "they were farmers", then they were farmers (Iroquois = farmers). But Iroquois = supplementing doesn't make any sense.

2. Although always introduces a dependent clause. In other words, although they supplemented is a dependent clause. The mistake you made is that you looked at only the they supplemented and concluded that it was an independent clause.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

(A) but supplementing

Hello, adkikani. I think both Abhi077 and AjiteshArun have provided excellent insights above. I thought I would speak more to why supplementing... in this sentence is not being used as a gerund. The reason is that there is no resolution to supplementing.... Since it is not being used as a verb, the phrase needs such a verb to form a predicate. If the whole phrase were a gerund here, the subject of a second independent clause, you would expect a linking verb to follow, as in,

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting was commonplace.

It is not that a gerund and a linking verb are always found together, since a gerund can be the object of a sentence (e.g., She dislikes eating natto, since the smell reminds her of sweaty gym socks). However, some sort of complete thought is a prerequisite to gerund usage. Otherwise, the apparent gerund would simply be acting as a modifier.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Within A and E, are the test makers trying to make false parallelism? (i.e., "supplementing" with "fishing"/"hunting." Is incorrect to take out these answer choices based on that logic?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
akd5 wrote:
Within A and E, are the test makers trying to make false parallelism? (i.e., "supplementing" with "fishing"/"hunting." Is incorrect to take out these answer choices based on that logic?

The question writer probably did intentionally make (A) and (E) look parallel as a way of making these incorrect choices seem possibly correct.

That said, that characteristic is not a reason to eliminate them. We would eliminate them because they are illogical.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat [#permalink]
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

Why we can't read A as "The Iroquois were primarily planters, but WERE supplementing....."?

Can we repeat verb after "but" when we are using comma + fanboys? Would like to understand acceptable construction with "but"

Thanks in advance :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

Why we can't read A as "The Iroquois were primarily planters, but WERE supplementing....."?

Can we repeat verb after "but" when we are using comma + fanboys? Would like to understand acceptable construction with "but"

Thanks in advance :)

The following sentence is OK.

The children were happy, but tired.

"Were" is understood to be repeated before "tired," and the presence of the comma is OK. It just creates a pause.

So, the (A) version of the sentence in this question is not incorrect because of the presence of comma before "but."

Rather, it's not a good sentence because the parallel structure is off with "were" first working with a noun and then working with the participle "supplementing."
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts