GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Nov 2018, 00:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:49) correct 20% (00:56) wrong based on 3124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing

(B) and had supplemented

(C) and even though they supplemented

(D) although they supplemented

(E) but with supplementing

Attachment:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 129.63 KiB | Viewed 4622 times ]

Attachment:
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 126.12 KiB | Viewed 4625 times ]

Attachment:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 72.06 KiB | Viewed 4622 times ]

Originally posted by ngobaotrung on 03 Aug 2006, 00:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Nov 2018, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 04:57
Ah, the -ing contrast error as I call it!

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

A - but supplementing - wrong. folks, the ing modifier canNOT appear with but. The obvious reason, the ing modifier clause builds up on the opening clause. It does NOT indicate a contrast. Check the meaning, the second clause is actually showing a contrats to the first one. Also, note here that ing is not a progressive tense. it is a modifier.

B - and had supplemented - wrong again. two reasons. 1. and cannot show a contrast. it is usually used to link two independent clauses. the intended meaning is a contrast. 2. had supplemented - incorrect tense. it indidcates that this action was before they were planters. incorrect meaning. the actions are simultaneous and the tenses should be consistent. both - simple past.

C - and even though they supplemented - incorrect. this indicates a contrast - meaning-wise correct. but this is not a complete sentence. it is a fragment. [i]]and[i] must connect independent clauses. the second clause does not have a working verb that will make it an independent clause. it is wordy too.

D - although they supplemented - wow! correct! although indicates contrast. they supplemented is correct. also, althouth needs a clause (sub + verb) this clause has both - correct. the tense supplemented (simple past) is correct as well. it is consistent with the non underlined tense.

E - but with supplementing - this is a modifier, not a verb. same error, ing modifier that is introducing a contrast. does not work. incorrect.

Take-aways -
Although needs a clause
Ing modifier cannot indicate a contrast
Director
Director
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2006, 01:34
Should be D.
To show proper contrast we need "although".

The original sentence is trying to tell that the Iroquois were planters despite the fact that they supplemented their cultivation of......with......

The Iroquois were primarily a planters, although they supplemented their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2006, 02:45
The Iroquois were primarily a planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.
A.
B. and had supplemented
C. and eventhough they supplemented
D. although they supplemented
E. but with supplementing

A. as if they are still supplementing. so wrong
B wrong connecting word. it shuld be but
c and eventhough. two connecting words make it awkward
d .correct
e . but corrects one prob . the -ing is wrong
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 17:19
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 17:50
ajit257 wrote:
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks

Hi,

in the original, "supplementing" leaves us wanting more - the sentence needs another phrase to be complete. Eliminate A and E.

We predict: "but supplemented" would fix the problem, so let's scan the choices.

B has the connector "and" - changes the meaning of the sentence (we lose the contrast) - get rid of B.

C has "and even though", requiring another verb in the sentence (just like A and E) - eliminate C.

Only D remains - "although they supplemented" is similar to our prediction and works just fine. Choose D!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 13:58
Well i have a doubt about the usage of 'although'. I thought it was never used in the middle of the sc and always at the beginning.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 16:31
ajit257 wrote:
Well i have a doubt about the usage of 'although'. I thought it was never used in the middle of the sc and always at the beginning.

I'm not aware of any such rule - it may be similar to the "never start a sentence with because" rule, which also isn't a real rule (i.e. it's OK to start a sentence with "because").
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:58

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

A and C are fragments, not complete sentences

A - but supplementing - wrong. folks, the ing modifier canNOT appear with but. The obvious reason, the ing modifier clause builds up on the opening clause. It does NOT indicate a contrast. Check the meaning, the second clause is actually showing a contrats to the first one. Also, note here that ing is not a progressive tense. it is a modifier.

B - and had supplemented - wrong again. two reasons. 1. and cannot show a contrast. it is usually used to link two independent clauses. the intended meaning is a contrast. 2. had supplemented - incorrect tense. it indidcates that this action was before they were planters. incorrect meaning. the actions are simultaneous and the tenses should be consistent. both - simple past.

C - and even though they supplemented - incorrect. this indicates a contrast - meaning-wise correct. but this is not a complete sentence. it is a fragment. [i]]and[i] must connect independent clauses. the second clause does not have a working verb that will make it an independent clause. it is wordy too.

D - although they supplemented - wow! correct! although indicates contrast. they supplemented is correct. also, althouth needs a clause (sub + verb) this clause has both - correct. the tense supplemented (simple past) is correct as well. it is consistent with the non underlined tense.

E - but with supplementing - this is a modifier, not a verb. same error, ing modifier that is introducing a contrast. does not work. incorrect.

Although needs a clause

Originally posted by alicegmat on 22 Sep 2011, 03:47.
Last edited by alicegmat on 22 Sep 2011, 05:58, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 13:30
alicegmat wrote:

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented

Take-aways -
Although needs a clause

I was reading the explanation in this post and found that everyone is overlooking a small error. Hence, posting a reply to correct the understanding.

While explanation for A, B, D, E is mostly correct in all the replies, explanation about C is wrong.

(C) "and even though they supplemented" : It is a sentence fragment but not because it does not have a verb.. This sentence has a perfect verb i.e. supplemented just like in (D).

However, this sentence is a fragment because it starts with "and", which requires further explanation after the subordinate clause "even though....." ends.

-Sameer
Press kudos if this post helped :)
SVP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 21:34
More specifically, and is used as a coordinating conjunction in C, and so, must be followed with an Independent clause (this is a property of coordinating conjunctions). In this case, and is just followed by a dependent clause, and hence is not correct.

p.s. Sentence fragments are tested quite extensively on GMAT. Our book discusses in detail, the various scenarios in which Sentence fragments appear. If you could PM me your mail id, I can send you the relevant section.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 22:10
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing -- since but is preceded by a comma , we should have a independent clause after but -- subject and verb missing
(B) and had supplemented -- contrast is lost ; usage of past perfect is incorrect ; comma+and must be followed by an independent clause
(C) and even though they supplemented -- usage of and--> contrast is lost ; need an independent clause after and
(D) although they supplemented -- Correct
(E) but with supplementing -- since but is preceded by a comma , we should have a independent clause after but -- subject and verb missing

Answer D

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 10:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2019, 10:23

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics