Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [3]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Send PM
Re: The jury trial is one of the handful of democratic institutions that [#permalink]
Kudos
Please provide the detailed explanation of questions 1 and 3

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: The jury trial is one of the handful of democratic institutions that [#permalink]
Could you please add explanation for Q3?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sidharth2412 wrote:

Explanation

1. Which one of the following most accurately states the main point of the passage?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

In critically reading the passage, we identified the first sentence of paragraph 2 as a summary of the Main Idea. Choice (E) uses most of the same wording, and expresses the same idea—jury unanimity provides benefits that outweigh its cost, so it should remain a requirement in important trials.

(A) focuses too much on the rarity of jury trials, and does not address why they are important.

(B) introduces “irresponsible” jurors, a concept not contained in the passage.

While (C) is a point made by the author, it leaves out the important idea that the benefits of jury unanimity outweigh the objections cited by critics. T

he author seems to believe that jurors are already doing what they are supposed to do (31-33), so (D) is also off base.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sidharth2412 wrote:

swan17 wrote:
Could you please add explanation for Q3?

Explanation

3. Which one of the following principles can most clearly be said to underlie the author’s arguments in the third paragraph?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

We’ll need to quickly consult our roadmap to remember what’s covered in paragraph 3. The author writes that some innocent people are already convicted and that eliminating the unanimity requirement would only make this more likely. He further writes that dismissing the opinion of a dissenting reviewer would eliminate an important component in the deliberation process. It’s clear, then, that the author believes the requirement is extremely important to prevent unjust verdicts, and that it’s worth using strong methods to do so (A).

Although (B) discusses fairness, it places responsibility on the judge, rather than the jury.

(C) is too strong in predicting the complete elimination of unjust verdicts, and (D) safeguards against irresponsible jurists, a topic unmentioned in the passage.

(E) states that the jury system is “inherently flawed,” which, although perhaps true, is not an underlying principle of the third paragraph of this passage.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Can someone provide solution for 4 and 6 I want to make sure my reasoning is correct or not
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Can anyone please explain question 7
Thank you in advance

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
aryan3 wrote:
Can someone provide solution for 4 and 6 I want to make sure my reasoning is correct or not

Explanation

4. Which one of the following sentences could most logically be added to the end of the last paragraph of the passage?

Difficulty Level: 600-650

Explanation

Paragraph 3 lists three reasons why jury unanimity is important for individual trials and society in general. There’s no point in trying to paraphrase here, so move on to the answer choices. (C) sums up the thinking in the paragraph by stressing the importance of each juror, and makes a more general point by comparing the jury system to democracy in general. This emphasizes the importance of jury unanimity and closes the passage with an uplifting rhetorical tone.

(A) discusses a “separate tradition,” but there is nothing in the passage that would support this distinction.

(B) and (E) go pretty far off base by introducing the new topics of public debate and scientific prosecution methods. The last sentence of the passage is not a good place to introduce entirely new ideas! Although the author has been arguing against the critics of jury unanimity, there’s no indication that he regards such criticism as undermining “the integrity of the entire legal system” (D).

Answer: C

6. The author explicitly claims that which one of the following would be a result of allowing a juror’s dissenting opinion to be dismissed?

Difficulty Level: 550-600

Explanation

Consult your road map to find the place where the author discusses the cost of dismissing the opinion of a juror. It’s at the end of paragraph 3, lines 51-54: “if even one juror has doubts that are dismissed out of hand, society’s confidence that a proper verdict has been reached would be undermined.” This matches up very well with (C).

Although the author does state that juries are usually hung in only the closest cases, he never explicitly states that only the closest cases would be affected by ignoring dissenters (A).

(B) presents the new and irrelevant topic of juries’ respect towards one another.

(D) and (E) both incorrectly imply that the author feels deadlocked juries represent a flaw in the legal system when he actually believes they are a necessary and important component.

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JamesPatrick wrote:
Can anyone please explain question 7
Thank you in advance

Explanation

7. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which one of the following?

Difficulty Level: 600-650

Explanation

A quick glance tells us that most of the answer choices deal with the author’s attitude towards hung juries. Answer choice (D) is a nice summation of the author’s views on this topic since he certainly believes that “hung juries are acceptable,” and also believes that they usually occur when neither party has made a sufficiently compelling case.

We’ve already noted that the author feels hung juries occur when neither side has a sufficiently compelling case, so it wouldn’t be right to say that “an error in judgment” (A) is indicated. Since the passage only addresses the topic of jury unanimity, the justice system in general (B), or even the entire jury system (C), are both too broad for us to infer the author’s views.

(E) is the opposite answer choice since the author believes doing away with jury unanimity (and therefore having fewer hung juries) would prevent the fair hearing of all jurors’ opinions.

Answer: D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts