Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:LBS(R2) Interview, Kellogg(R2) Admit
WE 1: Hi-Tech
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
I got my interview invite mail! Good luck to everyone!

What % of the interviewed candidates does LBS admit?

Some say LBS alum interviews are very formal and high preassure ones!
Can Dr.Manhattan or any R1 applicants share their interview experience?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
Send PM
highhopes09 wrote:
I got my interview invite mail! Good luck to everyone!

What % of the interviewed candidates does LBS admit?

Some say LBS alum interviews are very formal and high preassure ones!
Can Dr.Manhattan or any R1 applicants share their interview experience?

from what I've read typically about 35-40%. I don't have any figures to support this.

LBS interviews are the most relaxed interviews. Very conversational and very chilled out.
you can read experiences here:
https://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
4test1 wrote:
Looking at the amazing profiles of the unlucky ones who got dinged, it just seems like that's all it really says - that they are merely unlucky. It also looks like LBS gives lesser importance to the GMAT and weighs international exposure (perhaps they are building a certain mix) and WE much more.

I personally feel extremely lucky to have gotten to the interview stage and believe this will be the most difficult part of the entire process for me. I know bsd_lover and Dr. Manhattan have taken pains to list out interview feedback here but it would be great to have their inputs on how to best use the next few weeks to prepare well. LBS is my first and only real option - and the process is far from over.

I saw another request on this (asking for a post outlining my interview experience). I shall attempt to put a summary together and post it at some point. I'm unwilling to commit with certainty; however, as things really are rather busy at work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
Hi All,

I received an Interview Invite earlier today.

Doctor_Manhattan, I have annointed you my official LBS Admissions Mentor.

I am going to bug you, stalk you, cyberstalk you, and irritate the hell out of you until you sit me down and tell me all that you did to impress that alum and the 7 other people you networked your way across North America to land up on that admit list. :evil:

Cheers, and Best of Luck to everyone else!

Pranay
p.s. My profile:
Under Grad 1999 in Life Sciences / Biotechnology - Mumbai Univ, St Xaviers College - 69.25% (3rd in class)
11 years Entrepreneurial Small Family Business Experience in Apparel Export - multiple leadership, teamwork, and strong cross-functional, multi-cultural experience / exposure. Lots of foreign travel for Business Development.
ECs: State Level Basketball in College, Currently write a blog and writing a fiction novel that is part of a bigger franchise.
Reccos: 2 clients in US Beachwear Industry
GMAT: 730 - Q49,V41,AWA5.5

pranaysrinivasan,

Haha, accepted as a compliment!

Well done on your accomplishment so far, it was clearly no mean feat! Good luck in the rest of your application journey. While post-interview acceptance rates hover somewhere near 50% (intelligent speculation), your new reduced pool is more competitive, so do not take your interview for granted and rest on your oars.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Was most definitely meant as a compliment.

I have sent you an offline message. I understand from your post above that things are hectic with thee...

I was contacted by Phillipa Hain to schedule an interview, and it seems it will take till the end of Feb to finalise.

I'm kinda sorta hoping you could help me prep a little bit, using my app and some of my other material to figure out synergies / directions during the interview vis-a-vis LBS.

Do let me know...
Thanks,

Pranay
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
On Business Week LBS profile, it says that 41% of applicants get interviewed, and since the acceptance rate is about 14% (7 people to 1 spot), having been invited to an interview brings your acceptance chance up to 35%...

Yes, a little dorky. But I'm an engineer, so it's allowed!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snowinTX wrote:
On Business Week LBS profile, it says that 41% of applicants get interviewed, and since the acceptance rate is about 14% (7 people to 1 spot), having been invited to an interview brings your acceptance chance up to 35%...

snowinTX,

Quoting information from BusinessWeek with such confidence is a bit silly. Further, London Business School's got an acceptance rate a bit higher than 14%. A "7 people to 1 spot" dynamic is not equivalent to an acceptance rate; without adjusting upwards for "yield," that statistic is meaningless.

Post-interview acceptance rates have, in recent admissions cycles, been typically higher than 35%. The number is closer to 50% with some variation.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
DoctorManhattan wrote:
snowinTX wrote:

snowinTX,

Quoting information from BusinessWeek with such confidence is a bit silly. Further, London Business School's got an acceptance rate a bit higher than 14%. A "7 people to 1 spot" dynamic is not equivalent to an acceptance rate; without adjusting upwards for "yield," that statistic is meaningless.

Post-interview acceptance rates have, in recent admissions cycles, been typically higher than 35%. The number is closer to 50% with some variation.

Heck, Dr. Manhattan, I'm not about to argue with you. :-) The higher the better!

I did think that the acceptance rate meant how many people were granted spots to begin with, not how many chose to attend the school in the end. But you are right that having people come off the wait list would lead to double-counting some of those "spots" and increase the actual acceptance rate.

I thought Business Week to be pretty reputable. Which sources of information about MBA's do you recommend?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Folks acceptance rates and lead to much useless conjecture. But consider this, last year the total number of applications were appx 2700, the final class size was 403 and total accepted would have been around 600 but probably less (based on a 65-70% yield); you can keep an eye on the admits portal and see how many admits disappear each round to get a more accurate total admits figure. Since then, there have been numerous issues for international students in American schools (visas, TARP related job problems etc.). Factor in the additional publicity LBS received for being #1 two years in a row. I think the application numbers will be up this year and the statistics will change.

Bottomline - Things wont be easy. Prepare your backside off for the interview. Have a cohesive story. Know your motivations. Be prepared to defend your career choices. Know your aims and be able to justify them (the alum gets to read your entire application). Practice that impromptu presentation. A LOT of good people have been dinged. This interview is a privilege - make the most of it.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Folks acceptance rates and lead to much useless conjecture. But consider this, last year the total number of applications were appx 2700, the final class size was 403 and total accepted would have been around 600 but probably less (based on a 65-70% yield); you can keep an eye on the admits portal and see how many admits disappear each round to get a more accurate total admits figure. Since then, there have been numerous issues for international students in American schools (visas, TARP related job problems etc.). Factor in the additional publicity LBS received for being #1 two years in a row. I think the application numbers will be up this year and the statistics will change.

Bottomline - Things wont be easy. Prepare your backside off for the interview. Have a cohesive story. Know your motivations. Be prepared to defend your career choices choices. Know your aims and be able to justify them (the alum gets to read your entire application). Practice that impromptu presentation. A LOT of good people have been dinged. This interview is a privilege - make the most of it.

Good points - thank you!

I'll take your advice and concentrate on preparing myself for the interview and doing the best I can do. The odds are only going to make me nervous - not good going into the interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
4test1 wrote:
Looking at the amazing profiles of the unlucky ones who got dinged, it just seems like that's all it really says - that they are merely unlucky. It also looks like LBS gives lesser importance to the GMAT and weighs international exposure (perhaps they are building a certain mix) and WE much more.

I personally feel extremely lucky to have gotten to the interview stage and believe this will be the most difficult part of the entire process for me. I know bsd_lover and Dr. Manhattan have taken pains to list out interview feedback here but it would be great to have their inputs on how to best use the next few weeks to prepare well. LBS is my first and only real option - and the process is far from over.

4test1 & Pranaysrinivasan,

Interview Summary:

My alumnus interviewer (we shall call him Alfred) had a pre- and post-MBA background similar to mine in general industry; albeit, markedly different in sub-industry. Alfred’s manner was brisk, friend, friendly, candid, and keen.

The interview was conducted at the Alfred’s offices at a time the both of us had agreed to. We’d had some back-and-forth about schedules, and ultimately locked in a slot.

If I recall correctly, my interview lasted about 90 minutes, and it proceeded as follows:

• Alfred asked me to walk him through my background (not CV) which I did. I’ve got a rather varied, international, cultural, educational, and career background, and he was sufficiently interested to ask questions here and there. This probably took 7-10 minutes, and then there was a perceptible change in his demeanour; he shifted in his seat, uncrossed his legs (he’d had one ankle casually draped over one knee) and planted both feet firmly on the ground, fixing me with an eagle-stare signaling that we were about to wade into more vigorous conversation.

• The next half hour or so was spent with Alfred probing me very thoroughly as to the so-called three “Why’s:” “Why an MBA?,” “Why London Business School?,” and “Why now?” He was less interested in “Why now?” and far more focused on the former two. I believe between these two points, he placed ~ 40% emphasis on “Why London Business School?” with the rest on “Why an MBA?” Alfred made me explain my “Career Plan” to him in-depth, and made me provide anecdotal evidence that backed up my rationale (for both my career plan and the three “Why’s” which led to a thorough conversation into all the research I’d done whilst completing my applications to London Business School. While he did not prompt me per se, I mentioned Information Sessions I’d attended, current students and alumni I’d spoken with, post-MBA success of previous classes and how I’d been motivated by the programme’s employment reports, etcetera, etcetera. He did not stop probing and prodding till he had satisfied himself. After this, he relaxed his eagle-stance, informed me that I’d told him precisely what he was looking for on the former 2 “Why’s”, and then resumed swiveling in his seat while we made small talk for a few minutes. The small talk was enhanced by my familiarity with the programme based on research I had conducted during the application process, and he remarked more than once that he was impressed.

• He then told me his story, and how he had carefully evaluated London Business School before deciding it was right for him After this, we switched to my application. He remarked that my essays were interesting, compelling, well-written, and showed true fit with the London Business School Community.

• About 50 minutes into the interview, Alfred produced a list of 5 topics and without giving me a choice (some interviewers, I have heard, offer a choice of topics to the candidate), asked me to prepare a 5-minute oral presentation for the topic and left the room. He told me I had five minutes to prepare, but I believe he gave me ten. He returned to the room, and asked me to start. It did not go very well. It did not go badly; however, I’m a good and confident speaker, and found the concept of a forensic monologue to an audience of one, in a windowless conference room, to be uninspiring and unnatural. I stopped speaking in just under three minutes. This was, in my opinion, the low point of my interview.

• We then kicked around a bit, and he asked me to stay in touch regardless of what my final decision might be with respect to deciding what programme to attend should I obtain admissions offers from all, or some, of my target schools. Funny, now that I say this, I do not recall him asking me where else I was applying; though, I’m left with a hazy impression that he did! He said I’d be great for the programme, that he would be recommending me for an offer. He suggested I keep him apprised of my progress thereafter.

• We made small talk as he concluded the interview, and led me out to the lifts. We swapped business cards at that time.

• For personal reasons, I do believe my interview experience deviated slightly, but not significantly, from the norm with other alumni.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
DoctorManhattan wrote:
4test1 wrote:

4test1 & Pranaysrinivasan,

By the way, if you are from Eastern Europe or Russia you stand a high chance to be admitted.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snowinTX wrote:
DoctorManhattan wrote:
snowinTX wrote:

snowinTX,

Heck, Dr. Manhattan, I'm not about to argue with you. :-) The higher the better!

I did think that the acceptance rate meant how many people were granted spots to begin with, not how many chose to attend the school in the end. But you are right that having people come off the wait list would lead to double-counting some of those "spots" and increase the actual acceptance rate.

I thought Business Week to be pretty reputable. Which sources of information about MBA's do you recommend?

snowinTX,

I apologise for my cross-sounding response earlier. I didn't intend to be argumentative. I see such questionable statements posted on these forums at times, that I feel compelled (though it's none of my business) to wade in with fact, or more complete information; especially since so many people seize these inaccuracies and base entire applictaion strategies on them.

BusinessWeek is dubious at best. A quick visit to it's user-created forums will impress this point upon you. Focus on what you control, and I wish you the very best. Again, my apologies to you.

Originally posted by DoctorManhattan on 10 Feb 2010, 11:43.
Last edited by DoctorManhattan on 09 Jun 2010, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Was most definitely meant as a compliment.

I have sent you an offline message. I understand from your post above that things are hectic with thee...

I was contacted by Phillipa Hain to schedule an interview, and it seems it will take till the end of Feb to finalise.

I'm kinda sorta hoping you could help me prep a little bit, using my app and some of my other material to figure out synergies / directions during the interview vis-a-vis LBS.

Do let me know...
Thanks,

Pranay

Pranay,

I cannot commit to off-forum support at this time. This is not because I am reluctant, but because I am effectively unable to do so. I'm so overwhelmed with work at the moment (and a "side-project" of mine that eats away an alarming portion of my spare time!), that to assume further commitments would be unwise.

Please, do not take offence.

Best of luck to you in the remainder of your journey, of course!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Here's a blast from the past - my own interview experience :
lbs-r1-roll-call-54115-40.html#p404634
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
many congratulations to all those invited!! well done!

i was really sorry to see so many dings - don't despair too much as surely you will make it to other great programmes!

regarding interviews - take the advice of bsd_lover and Dr. Manhattan, and prepare! It will really help you with your LBS interview, as it is a relatively 'tough' one compared with some other schools. Also, knowing you have prepared well will really help to put you at ease on the day. Check earlier posts on this thread as there are a good few very detailed interview debriefs from R1. Apart from that, use the generic interview preparation resources here on gmatclub - there is a lot! check out this link as a starting point. I used Rhyme's preparation guide there as my main tool and it was very helpful.

good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Doc,
A quick question for.. What was your pre MBA WE and Post MBA ST goals that you wrote in your essays?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts