Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [20]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is [#permalink]
Kudos
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.

There is pronoun issue in the original sentence. 'They' is plural, however 'data' is singular in this context as in all the options we have phrase 'data is'.
Also 'greater transparency' is correct expression. 'larger transparency' is wrong.

Let's run POE

A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
>> Wrong.

B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
>> Put on hold

C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
>> Put on hold

D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded
>> Wrong because 'this' is wrongly referring to "encourage greater transparency' instead of "new proposal"

E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
>> Here is a parallelism issue. "The new proposal will do X and do Y" is the correct form. 'discourages' is wrong here, as it will not show future tense.

Now Out of B & C , B sounds awkward because of "regarding what data is being collected".

Instead "about what data is being collected" sounds correct.

So the correct option is C.

Originally posted by premnath on 02 Sep 2012, 00:08.
Last edited by premnath on 02 Sep 2012, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is [#permalink]
Kudos
SOURH7WK wrote:

Is not data a plural noun. How pronoun "it" can refer to data in option C.

'data' though technically is a plural noun, however, it is used as both singular and plural.
Confused ? :)

Check this link of the gurdian: https://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

I following this approach.
If I find it is used as singular in non-underlined portion of a sentence, then surely it is used as singular.
If I find it is used as plural in ............, then it is used as plural.
If options are having all singular, or plural then there is no other choice.
With this approach most of the questions can be answered correctly.

Still, if options are having mix of both, however I cannot eliminated any one with above mentioned approach, then I prefer 'singular' as it is used in American style. 'plural' is used in British style.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded privacy or user notices.
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and [u]discourages[/u] the need for vaguely worded as IS is used, IT should be used for dta
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded --AND should be used -- they both mean to support one thing
C. encourage greater transparency about what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourage the need for vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded-[color=#7b0046]Seems as if the consequence of 1st clause. Actually both are part of the proposal[/color]
E. encourage greater transparency for what data is being collected and how it will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded

I am not sure if transparency about is only correct and other forms like transparency on/ transparency for are wrong. Guys please give some inputs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Between B and C, I am inclined toward option B as it shows contrasting between two sentences.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
TomB wrote:
Between B and C, I am inclined toward option B as it shows contrasting between two sentences.

My understanding :

The intent : New proposal is coming up with something positive : 1. Encourages X , 2. Discourages Y

It doesn't speak of contrast : Just because encourage & discourage is there = that doesn't imply a Contrast

The new professor encourages teamwork AND discourages nepotism = positive aspect , No contrast , Needs AND

The new professor encourages teamwork BUT discourages sharing of one's problems , Positive & negative aspect , Needs contrast thus BUT

Leading to C , my take
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency [#permalink]
getgyan wrote:
A. encourage larger transparency about what data is being collected and how they will be used, and discourages the need for vaguely worded
B. encourage greater transparency regarding what data is being collected and how it will be used, but discourage the need of vaguely worded
D. encourage greater transparency on what data is being collected and how it will be used, and this will discourage the need for vaguely worded

is the use of comma correct---it implies a list of more than two or if it follows a clause..
For this reason i chose D
can anybody explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

is the use of comma correct---it implies a list of more than two or if it follows a clause..
can anybody explain.

u can replace as follows:

, and= ;

now look at the parallel structure of C
only C correctly uses plural forms of both the verbs before and after conjunction and maintains the parallelism
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
yashii9 wrote:
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

can anybody explain.

u can replace as follows:

, and= ;

now look at the parallel structure of C
only C correctly uses plural forms of both the verbs before and after conjunction and maintains the parallelism

exactly
after replacing ,and with ; as you said...IMO it should have a S+V(main clause) which is not present.This is my doubt basically
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:

exactly
after replacing ,and with ; as you said...IMO it should have a S+V(main clause) which is not present.This is my doubt basically

subject verb agreement is clearly evident in C isnt it??

the new proposal will encourage xyz, and discourage abc.....
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prasadkhadpe wrote:
getgyan wrote:

can anybody explain.

Posting a OG question which help you in clarifying the doubt regarding indebendent clause after ,and/but/yet etc!

SC Q137

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who
receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never
regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity

Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: High
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the
local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play
was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”. Now lets look at
the options. A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or
her death, but his or her reputation does. B is incorrect because it uses redundant
construction “regains its status again”. C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS
rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see
below for clarification.). D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e
the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence. So to make it correct we
use the construction Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS
stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and
FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined
in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.

Let me know if this helps!
Souvik
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
yashii9 wrote:
subject verb agreement is clearly evident in C isnt it??

the new proposal will encourage xyz, and discourage abc.....

Hi Yashii

Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FANBOYS") Independant Clause. I hope we all agree wih this point.

Now Independant clause should have an independant subject and an independant veb which is not ("discourage the need for vaguely worded") present. I do not think it is even a clause.
Ex 1: Tom loves his job in the corporate office, for his job is so challenging. (Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FOR") Independant Clause). This is a correct statement

Now let us at look at another example
Ex: Tom took guitar lessons for 3 years and today is a famous guitarist. (Independant Clause (and) Phrase). This is also correct.

So the correct usage depends on whether we are joining two independant clauses or something else

I agrre with prasadkhadpe.
Thoughts?
:-D
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Yashii

Independant Clause (either ";" or ",FANBOYS") Independant Clause. I hope we all agree wih this point.

This is a general usage, but NOT a hard rule as such.
That is why I posted the OG question, in which this rule is violated.
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
please check it out.
joachim-raff-and-giacomo-meyerbeer-are-examples-of-the-kind-139350.html#p1124102

I do not think the OG question violates the rule. The rule states about TWO Independant clauses only. In the OG question there is only one independant clause.
What am I missing? :roll:
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who
receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never
regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity

Correct answer choice becomes

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status.

The green part is an independent clause, and the red part is a dependent clause.
According to the "Rule", both should have been independent.
HTH
Souvik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
please check it out.

I do not think the OG question violates the rule. The rule states about TWO Independant clauses only. In the OG question there is only one independant clause.

To the best of my knowledge -

we can still share the subject from 1st independent clause.

in the OG example - the reason the clause after BUT becomes independent is - if removed does not really distorts the meaning of the first clause.

correct me if m wrong.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
please check it out.

To the best of my knowledge -

we can still share the subject from 1st independent clause.

in the OG example - the reason the clause after BUT becomes independent is - if removed does not really distorts the meaning of the first clause.

correct me if m wrong.

According to the "FANBOYS" rule, taught by a lot of prep companies, we cant
But its NOT a big deal!
as i said there can be examples in which, not using the comma makes the sentence sound horrible.
For example,

i shut the windows and locked the doors --> this sentence doesn't need any additional punctuation.
i shut the windows so firmly that i would later have trouble opening them, and locked the doors using both the standard locks and the deadbolts --> these are not complete clauses, but the sentence is still written with the comma, because it's absolutely unreadable without the comma (try it yourself).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink]
getgyan wrote:

How is the term "data" singular? "is" and "it" are both referring to the term "data", which I think is plural! had the term been "datum", use of "is" and "it" would have been justified.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The new proposal will encourage larger transparency about [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts