Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 666
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
medhawi wrote:
I think , "that clause is modifying only troughs and not crests"

Hi medhawi, there is considerable flexibility in terms of what that can modify.

For example, in the following sentence that is modifying devastation and enslavement.

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "that", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produ [#permalink]
The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them; the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves."

(A) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are -> "the resulting flow pattern" is singular, so we nee singular verb, "are" is plural and Incorrect to use here.

(B) crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are -> Same as A.

(C) crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is -> No errors as such. we have clear contrast available too. Let's keep it.

(D) stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are -> Same as A.

(E) stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is -> "stationary crests and troughs" and "they are formed by rapidly moving air..." are incorrect contrast. Incorrect.

So, I think C. :)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kinshuk97gupta
We won't have two correct answers, so always look for an error in the wrong ones, not just a preference, such as "this is shorter."

In this case, E is not just awkward, as some have suggested. It is grammatically wrong. When we have "although" in front of a clause, we need to contrast with another clause, either preceding or following. So if I say "although they are formed by rapidly moving air," I need to contrast with another clause, such as "they remain stationary." We can't say with noun, although clause, unless I am contrasting with some earlier action, such as "I argued with my brothers, although I knew they were right."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ERROR ANALYSIS -

1) 'are' doesn't agree in number

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) 'are' doesn't agree in number
B) 'are' doesn't agree in number
C) CORRECT
D) 'are' doesn't agree in number
E) Grammatically correct but by meaning, the contrast is related to air flow pattern, but in this sentence the contrast of crest and trough has been highlighted
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
minalgambhir
E is definitely not grammatically correct (see my post above). Let's avoid reiterating that, since folks seem to be getting confused.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
the 'that' modifies only troughs. But shouldn't we be modifying both crests and troughs? I thought 'that' always follows the touch rule
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sehwag98
First, like almost everything in English grammar, the "touch rule" isn't an absolute rule. Second, we can (and often will) modify phrases that consists of more than one word, so in this case "that" is still touching the phrase "crests and troughs." The intended meaning is to modify that whole thing--crests and troughs--and there's no obstacle to interpreting it that way, so that's what we should do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
For option C
Can i ask how ‘that’ is valid for ‘troughs and crests’ ? I think that is used for singular nouns only but here we have a case of plural noun. Can someone please explain

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Sks0106 wrote:
For option C
Can i ask how ‘that’ is valid for ‘troughs and crests’ ? I think that is used for singular nouns only but here we have a case of plural noun. Can someone please explain

HI! I don't think there is any rule that states that can only modify singular items. It can modify plural too, we just need to take care of subject verb agreement.
Example
1. I have cakes that are tasty.
2. I have a cake that is tasty.
Both are correct.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sks0106 wrote:
For option C

Hi Sks0106, the distinciton is:

i) When that is used as a relative pronoun (as is the case here), that can relate to both singular and plural nouns.

For example, both of the following are correct:

I have a car that is old.

I have cars that are old.

ii) When that is used as a demonstrative pronoun, that can refer only to singular nouns.

For example, following is correct:

Peter's book is older than that of Jack.

But, following is incorrect:

Peter's books are older than that of Jack.
- that is intended to refer to the plural noun books, but this is not allowed.

The correct sentence is:

Peter's books are older than those of Jack.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the avatars of “that”. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Downloaded 43 times

Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
kinshuk97gupta
We won't have two correct answers, so always look for an error in the wrong ones, not just a preference, such as "this is shorter."

In this case, E is not just awkward, as some have suggested. It is grammatically wrong. When we have "although" in front of a clause, we need to contrast with another clause, either preceding or following. So if I say "although they are formed by rapidly moving air," I need to contrast with another clause, such as "they remain stationary." We can't say with noun, although clause, unless I am contrasting with some earlier action, such as "I argued with my brothers, although I knew they were right."

Hello! Can you comment more upon this explanation? Here how is crest and trough remain stationary a clause? A clause needs to have subject and verb. Maybe its a different type of clause. Can you elaborate more upon it? I understood X although Y needs to have clause on both sides. AndrewN IanStewart

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Here how is crest and trough remain stationary a clause? A clause needs to have subject and verb.

"Crests and troughs" is the subject, and "remain" is a verb. If you want clarification of the rule that Dmitry was describing, you'll have to ask him about that, but he's right that there is a grammatical issue in answer E.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
kinshuk97gupta

Hello! Can you comment more upon this explanation? Here how is crest and trough remain stationary a clause? A clause needs to have subject and verb. Maybe its a different type of clause. Can you elaborate more upon it? I understood X although Y needs to have clause on both sides. AndrewN IanStewart

Hello, pk6969. I am not sure I understand the issue, other than that you may be having trouble parsing the clause in (C):

with crests and troughs that remain stationary—a prepositional phrase

crests and troughs—a plural noun element

that remain stationary—a relative clause that modifies the aforementioned crests and troughs

Compare to the corresponding element in (E):

with stationary crests and troughs—again, a prepositional phrase

stationary—an adjective that modifies the plural noun element that is about to follow

crests and troughs—exactly as above, a plural noun element

Thus, we can see that, ahead of the contrast marker although in both sentences, (C) incorporates a clause while (E) does not. Note that clause does not always mean independent clause. Perhaps that lies at the root of your misunderstanding.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
kinshuk97gupta

Hello, pk6969. I am not sure I understand the issue, other than that you may be having trouble parsing the clause in (C):

with crests and troughs that remain stationary—a prepositional phrase

crests and troughs—a plural noun element

that remain stationary—a relative clause that modifies the aforementioned crests and troughs

Compare to the corresponding element in (E):

with stationary crests and troughs—again, a prepositional phrase

stationary—an adjective that modifies the plural noun element that is about to follow

crests and troughs—exactly as above, a plural noun element

Thus, we can see that, ahead of the contrast marker although in both sentences, (C) incorporates a clause while (E) does not. Note that clause does not always mean independent clause. Perhaps that lies at the root of your misunderstanding.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

Hi! Thanks for clearing it! Though I have one doubt. Wouldn't that make a dependent clause on one side and independent on the other? I saw post in which I read that for conjunctions, both sides should have same clause. Is that true?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi! Thanks for clearing it! Though I have one doubt. Wouldn't that make a dependent clause on one side and independent on the other? I saw post in which I read that for conjunctions, both sides should have same clause. Is that true?

Hello again, pk6969. In a perfectly parallel world, sure, both sides of a parallel construct will be identical, but they do not have to match word for word to be considered parallel. If you are unsure about parallelism in an answer choice, then look for other more obvious issues while you place that consideration on hold. Parallelism should not be foremost on your list of considerations anyway.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Hi Everyone. I have a doubt here. How can "them" in Option C refer to two different antecedents and be perfectly okay to be the correct answer? Is it okay to have same pronouns to have two different (but logical) antecedents? (Unlike what explicitly cited on Manhattan GMAT guide) Or is it okay because both the ICs are separated here by a semi-colon. I genuinely confused. Thanks.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
wps002 wrote:
Hi Everyone. I have a doubt here. How can "them" in Option C refer to two different antecedents and be perfectly okay to be the correct answer? Is it okay to have same pronouns to have two different (but logical) antecedents? (Unlike what explicitly cited on Manhattan GMAT guide) Or is it okay because both the ICs are separated here by a semi-colon. I genuinely confused. Thanks.

Hello wps002,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Here, "them" does not refer to "crests" and "troughs" independently, rather, "them" refers to the combined noun phrase "crests and troughs"; thus, "them" has only one antecedent. Remember, two nouns joined by "and" form a single, plural noun phrase.

To understand the concept of "And" versus Other Conjunctions on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts