GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 05:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:18) correct 54% (01:17) wrong based on 344 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year.

a. The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year
b. the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than in any other year
c. The iron and steel industry's performance this year has been better in comparison to any other year
d. The iron and steel industry's performance has been better this year than any other year
e. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 07:33
The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year.
a. The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that of any other year
This sentence is incorrect since the sentence compares performance with year. use of ' that' creates ambiguity wrt whether ' that' refers to performance or year
b. the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than in any other year
CORRECT
c. The iron and steel industry's performance this year has been better in comparison to any other year
This sentence is incorrect since the sentence compares performance with year.
d. The iron and steel industry's performance has been better this year than any other year
This sentence is incorrect since the sentence compares performance with year.
e. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.[/quote]
This sentence is incorrect since the use of that and year's performance create redundancy
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 09:52
Top Contributor

e. This year the performance of the iron and steel industry has been better than that of any other year's performance.

It is difficult to reconcile with one aspect of this reporting. In reality, a performance half way through this year is not comparable with the finished preferences of earlier years. Unless one would qualify this year's performance with the phrase " so far", the comparison is meaningless. No one does it logically. That is the reason the verb 'has been' is rather incongruous.
Notwithstanding that, the problem with B is that while it could be logically meaningful. It is structurally unparallel with a bare period on one side and a prepositional phrase on the other.
The errors in other choices couldn't be more apparent.
B
Re: the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 08:53
A good use of ellipses. We can omit the word "performance". Answer B
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:12
What is wrong with option A? Kindly explain..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 20:05
Can anyone please explain why is option A incorrect. Here That refers to performance. so the sentence will be like:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (performance) of any other year.

Where am I going wrong??
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 05:33
taniyaray wrote:
Can anyone please explain why is option A incorrect. Here That refers to performance. so the sentence will be like:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (performance) of any other year.

Where am I going wrong??

Yes that can compare back to performance but you are comparing " The performance of the iron and steel industry this year with the performance of any other year, but with whose performance ?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 00:13
A compares ‘performance’ with ‘any other year’. C and D do the same thing. In option E, ‘that’ refers to ‘year’s performance’, so both did not have to be used. This means E should betaken out, as it has a redundant statement.

So B is the right answer.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 16:30
I selected A, and I didn't fully understand the explanation. If anyone else can better explain why A is incorrect than low number of responses in this thread then I'd greatly appreciate it.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 16:53
dcummins wrote:
I selected A, and I didn't fully understand the explanation. If anyone else can better explain why A is incorrect than low number of responses in this thread then I'd greatly appreciate it.

First, none of the answers to this question makes complete sense, and one could argue that (D) is better than the OA, (B).

At the same time, there is a fairly clear reason to eliminate (A).

Here's (A).

In this version we are comparing "the performance of the iron and steel industry this year" with "that of any other year."

While, reading the sentence informally, we can certainly tell what it is meant to convey, read literally, it makes less sense, as the most logical antecedent of "that" is "the performance."

So, read literally, (A) seems to convey the following.

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than the performance of any other year.

So, read literally, the sentence conveys that the performance of the oil and steel industry has been better than the performance of any other year. Since the oil and steel industry is not a year, and since a year would not have "performance," the comparison does not make complete sense.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 16:58
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
So, read literally, the sentence conveys that the performance of the oil and steel industry has been better than the performance of any other year. Since the oil and steel industry is not a year, and since a year would not have "performance," the comparison does not make complete sense.

Thank you so much, Marty! I really couldn't see this illogical comparison when I first read the sentence, so without you spelling this out for me I would have been stuck!

I really appreciate your timely response as well!

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 00:55
Can't we say that " that " in option A replaces the complete "the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year .

Isn't it correct ??

Please correct me ...

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 02:27
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
Can't we say that " that " in option A replaces the complete "the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year .

Hi Rakesh, for one thing, in any other year is not present in the sentence. that cannot refer to something not present in the sentence at all!

Even if that were the case, then A would read as:

The performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been better than that (the performance of iron and steel industry in any other year) of any other year.

in any other year of any other year is clearly incorrect.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
GMAT Club Bot
Re: the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2019, 02:27

the performance of the iron and steel industry this year has been bett

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics