Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [3]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I: yes, I'd read those sentences the same way - the past perfect indicates that the study of music stopped, while the simple past leaves the possibility open that it continued.

II: yes, I'd also interpret those sentences the same way. The sentence using the past perfect indicates that the film industry stopped depending on tariffs.

III: I agree with how you interpret the meaning of the correct answer, but I don't think it's true that the past perfect needs to be used in a correct answer to this question. It's often optional which past tense we use, and while past perfect more precisely conveys a specific meaning (that the dependence on tariffs stopped), there's no way for us to know exactly which meaning we want to find in the correct answer. The original sentence, answer A, does not convey a sensible meaning, so we're just looking for a well-written answer choice that makes logical sense. There's no way to decide whether the meaning we're looking for is "the government used to depend on tariffs and no longer does" or instead is "the government used to depend on tariffs, and perhaps still partly does" until we work out which answer choice is right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Re: The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
There's no way to decide whether the meaning we're looking for is "the government used to depend on tariffs and no longer does" or instead is "the government used to depend on tariffs, and perhaps still partly does" until we work out which answer choice is right.

So, in order to consider the government “dependent” on a certain resource, that resource doesn’t necessarily have to be the biggest one – it can be just one of. I somehow missed this point in my previous post. Such an enlightening answer from you. I much appreciate your posts because I find in them what I strive for – thinking in the most precise manner and being able to articulate it. Dr Jordan Peterson talks about this ability a lot. Not sure whether my genes allow for such preciseness, yet it is still worth striving for.

Thank you very much once again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I don't understand why meaning of B is correct.
"the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue"

Why the government had depended on tariffs? Should it be revenue of the government depended on tariffs?

AndrewN could you please help ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat

That modifier at the end is important. How did the government depend on tariffs? It depended on them to provide its main source of revenue. It's like if I said "Humans rely on food as a source of fuel." Our fuel doesn't rely on food; we do! Food is the fuel. Similarly, the revenue doesn't rely on tariffs; the government does. Tariffs are the revenue.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
OE:
Agreement; Logical predication
The First World War is designated as past tense in the opening clause of
this sentence. The relationship between that time and whatever
happened earlier can be most clearly indicated by using the past-perfect
tense for the earlier events. [T ]he federal government is a singular
subject of the second clause, so a singular pronoun, its rather than their,
must refer to it. The phrase was dependent on causes unnecessary
wordiness, as does the passive construction in E.
A. The plural pronoun their inappropriately refers to the singular noun
government.
B. Correct. The pronoun its agrees with the singular subject
government, and the past perfect, active verb had depended refers
clearly to government activity prior to the First World War.
C. This version of the sentence is wordy because of the inverted word
order that makes the subject of the second clause an object of the
preposition on.
D. This version of the sentence nonsensically makes source the subject
of the verb was [dependent on].
E. The plural possessive pronoun their does not agree with its singular
antecedent government. In fact, because of the placement of tariffs
immediately after the opening prepositional phrase, their seems at
first to refer to tariffs, which is illogical. The passive verb form were
depended on is wordy and indirect.
The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
anox wrote:
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

Issue: Structure | Verb tense

Analysis:
1. The sentence connects two independent clause using ";". For such structures, the second clause should be independent and follow from previous clause.
2. In the second clause the action "government was dependent on tariffs" occurs before action in first clause "personal income tax did not become permanent...". Hence, we can use "past prefect" form of the verb in second clause.

I have highlighted the errors below:

A. the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue
- Incorrect verb form
- Pronoun ambiguity

B. the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue

C. tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue
- Incorrect verb form
- "were what" (not sure about this but this seems overly complex specially when a better option is present; Can someone explain if this is grammatically correct?)

D. the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs
- Changes the meaning. The sentence seems to indicate that the source was dependent.

E. for their main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government
- If you read the whole clause with this option, "before that time for their main source..." has structure issue
- Changes the meaning. The sentence seems to indicate that the source was dependent.

Answer: B.

Hi Experts,
can someone please explain what is the issue with Option C
- Incorrect verb form
- "were what" (not sure about this but this seems overly complex specially when a better option is present; Can someone explain if this is grammatically correct?)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
r24350 wrote:
tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

Hi Experts,
can someone please explain what is the issue with Option C

I'm not sure C is grammatically wrong, technically speaking (though some of the shades of meaning are strange). But if you just imagine rewriting C to improve clarity, there are several opportunities:

"Tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue"

--> Tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on as its main source of revenue

--> Tariffs were what the federal government depended on as its main source of revenue

--> The federal government depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue

Each successive rewrite improves the clarity and concision of the sentence. If I find one opportunity to similarly improve an official SC answer choice, I'll immediately suspect the answer is wrong. If I find two or more, I'll be essentially certain I'll find a better answer choice elsewhere. The critical issue with C is the use of a passive construction when an active one much more clearly conveys who depended on what.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

(A) the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue ( Government is the subject and it is singular )

(B) the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue : Correct use of had as here we have two events, 1st was before wold war, dependency on tariffs )

(C) tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue : Awkward Construction

(D) the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs : Meaning change, It says Revenue was dependent on tariff where as government is dependent

(E) for their main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep DmitryFarber

Between B and C,

B has a redundant past perfect and C is a bit wordy with passive construction.

So, Does Redundant past perfect always trump passive and wordy constructions?

How would you have made a decision between B and C?

(Personally, I have a hard time against questions such as these, in which options that break rules, like pronoun ambiguity or redundant past perfect, trump over correct but passive or wordy constructions. It is especially bad because these questions are usually marked as easy or medium, so getting them wrong has a relatively bigger penalty

Is there a generic approach for above situations?)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DrWho wrote:

Between B and C,

(Personally, I have a hard time against questions such as these, in which options that break rules, like pronoun ambiguity or redundant past perfect, trump over correct but passive or wordy constructions. It is especially bad because these questions are usually marked as easy or medium, so getting them wrong has a relatively bigger penalty

The generic approach is to go with the best choice, which I realize isn't much of an approach.

However, I can add that some flawed structures are considered acceptable, and a sentence that uses the past perfect redundantly as the (B) version of this question does is considered acceptable though not ideal. So, if you see the past perfect used redundantly, the move is to look for other decision points.

In fact, looking for strong decision points is often a way of avoiding worrying about questionable decision points.

In this case, there is actually a strong reason for eliminating choice (C), which is that "tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue," isn't just wordy and awkward. It doesn't effectively convey a logical meaning.

Notice that "dependent on" is not "depending on." We can say, "X was depending on Y to be Z," but it's not logical to say that "X was dependent on Y to be Z." "Dependent on" should be followed by a noun or something acting as a noun, as in "dependent on handouts," not by an action, such as "dependent on handouts to be available."

So, the (C) version is clearly illogical, and therefore we have to go with the less than ideal (B).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep

Oh, I see.

'It's not logical to say that "X was dependent on Y to be Z."'
-> Is it due to tense error or a general/idiomatic rule?

Is "X was dependent on Y to had been Z" correct?

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
DrWho wrote:

Between B and C,

The generic approach is to go with the best choice, which I realize isn't much of an approach.

However, I can add that some flawed structures are considered acceptable, and a sentence that uses the past perfect redundantly as the (B) version of this question does is considered acceptable though not ideal. So, if you see the past perfect used redundantly, the move is to look for other decision points.

In fact, looking for strong decision points is often a way of avoiding worrying about questionable decision points.

In this case, there is actually a strong reason for eliminating choice (C), which is that "tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue," isn't just wordy and awkward. It doesn't effectively convey a logical meaning.

Notice that "dependent on" is not "depending on." We can say, "X was depending on Y to be Z," but it's not logical to say that "X was dependent on Y to be Z." "Dependent on" should be followed by a noun or something acting as a noun, as in "dependent on handouts," not by an action, such as "dependent on handouts to be available."

So, the (C) version is clearly illogical, and therefore we have to go with the less than ideal (B).
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos