Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 17:13
mskx wrote:
How to you calculate P(M and R) that you get 0?

or means add
and means multiply

To stay with your example:
P(M or R) = P(M) + P(R) - P(M and R)
P(M or R) = P(0.9) + P(0.9) - P(0.9*0.9) -> 0.9*0.9 is not 0
But please consider that P(M or R) = P(M) + P(R) -P(M and R) is wrong because its a mutually exclusive event.

Because they're mutually exclusive, P(M and R) can't happen. That's why I used 0. So really it's P(M or R)=P(M) + P(R). If P(M) and P(R) are each 0.9 (mutually exclusive of course), the P(M or R) becomes 1.8, which is what doesn't make sense to me.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21
Re: The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 00:19
M will not occur = 0.8
M will occur = 0.2

R will not occur = 0.6
R will occur = 0.4

Probability that either event M or event R will occur = 0.2 + 0.4 = 0.6 (3/5)

Hence C
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 10:10
Dear experts,
P(M)=.8, Hence P(M')=.2
P(R)=.6, So P(R')=.4
P(Either of the events)=P(M' and R) OR P(R' and M)=(.2*.6)+(.8*.4)=.44.

Can some one please explain what I am missing here.

Regards,
Arup
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 10:31
Bunuel wrote:
The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability that event R will not occur is 0.6. If events M and R cannot both occur, which of the following is the probability that either event M or event R will occur?

A) 1/5
B) 2/5
C) 3/5
D) 4/5
E) 12/25

I will use the 2*2 matrix here

MO= M will occur
MNO= M will not occur

All the values are given, and we need to find

--------MO--------MNO
-RO----0----------0.4-----0.4
RNO---0.2--------0.4-----0.6
-------0.2---------0.8------1

either event M or event R will occur, this will be again => 1 - (both will occur), Since in probability P(happening) + P(not happening) = 1
1-0.4 =0.6

C

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 11:02
shonakshi wrote:
Can someone please explain why is it not
0.8*0.4+0.2*0.6
11/25
:?

This is not right as you are confusing between Event and Occurrence of the event. Your formula would be true if you try to find out, probability of EXACTLY one of M or R will occur, when the other WILL NOT occur. This is NOT same as 'probability of M or R to occur'.
I will illustrate with an example. Scenario 1: You are tossing a coin 2 times. What's the probability of getting EXACTLY one head? Your above formula will work in this case. There are 2 occurrences of toss here. Also, P(H) = 1/2 and P(T) = 1/2. Get EXACTLY one head in two tosses = P(H).P(~T) + P(~H).P(T) = 1/2. [without formula: HT (valid), TH (valid), HH (invalid), TT (invalid). Hence : 2/4 = 1/2]
Scenario 2: What is the probability of getting a head OR tail when you toss a coin? Note: here it is talking about only one occurrence of toss. Here the formula should be P(H or T) = P(H) + P(T) - P(H and T). P(H and T) is obviously 0. So, P(H or T) = 1/2 + 1/2 = 1 (it's a certainty). [now without formula: it is a guarantee in a coin toss that you will either get head or tail. so, probability = 1 ]

This question in OP is the second scenario described above, hence your formula won't give you correct result. Hope it helps !!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 11:58
Bunuel wrote:
The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability that event R will not occur is 0.6. If events M and R cannot both occur, which of the following is the probability that either event M or event R will occur?

A) 1/5
B) 2/5
C) 3/5
D) 4/5
E) 12/25

M will occur =1-.8=.2
R will occur =1-.6=.4

P(M or R)=P(M)+P(R)-P(M & R)
=.2+.4-0
=.6=3/5

Answer is C

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability   [#permalink] 10 May 2019, 11:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

The probability that event M will not occur is 0.8 and the probability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics