GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2017, 17:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:13) correct 46% (01:29) wrong based on 1166 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society, remains perhaps the most important technological idea of the last 50 years.

(A) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

(B) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

(C) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

(D) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and which permeates almost all of modern society

(E) a concept hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

Originally posted by skrishnakarthik on 20 Oct 2013, 01:00.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Oct 2017, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2013, 11:15
Hi abhi398.
I'm glad to help.

The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society, remains perhaps the most important technological idea of the last 50 years.

a) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society
Correct. "hatched" (Verb-ed modifier) || permeating (Verb-ing modifier) <== both modify "the simple concept of PC".
Note:
* Verb+ed modifier ==> always modifies a preceding NOUN - a concept of personal computing. The modifier does not modifies the nearest noun - personal computing because of the critical mission preposition "OF".
* Verb-ing modifier + comma ==> modifies a preceding clause. The preceding part is not a clause, but a noun phrase. ==> "permeating" modifies "the simple concept of PC".

b) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

c) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

d) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and which permeates almost all of modern society

e) a concept hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2013, 10:41
pqhai wrote:
Hi abhi398.
I'm glad to help.

a) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society
Correct. "hatched" (Verb-ed modifier) || permeating (Verb-ing modifier) <== both modify "the simple concept of PC".
Note:
* Verb+ed modifier ==> always modifies a preceding NOUN - a concept of personal computing. The modifier does not modifies the nearest noun - personal computing because of the critical mission preposition "OF".
* Verb-ing modifier + comma ==> modifies a preceding clause. The preceding part is not a clause, but a noun phrase. ==> "permeating" modifies "the simple concept of PC".

b) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

c) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

d) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and which permeates almost all of modern society

e) a concept hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

Hope it helps.

Until now I thought that for parallelism, one side needs to be parallel with the other i.e. -ed / -ed, or -ing / -ing. Now this jumps off!
a) thanks for the explanation
b) can you pinpoint to some references? I can't find something similar in the MGMAT SC guide...
:?
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 14:51
A is the only answer choice that maintains parallel structure.

"The simple concept of personal computing" is modified by:
- hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs. Verb-ED Modifier
- and permeating almost all of modern society. Verb-ING Modifier (with no comma)

Even if it sounds counterintuitive, a Verb-ED Modifier and a Verb-ING Modifier (with no comma) are parallel.

Another way to think about this is that they are both phrases that modify a noun.
You can mix phrase + phrase (answer choice A) but you cannot mix phrase + clause (answer choices C, D, and E)

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 02:56

The question becomes very simple if you just rearrange the parts of the sentence as follows :

Hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society
, the simple concept of personal computing remains perhaps the most important technological idea of the last 50 years.

This makes it very clear that the modifying clause "hatched by ....& permeating almost...." is modifying the SUBJECT "The simple concept" ...

If we don't do this, the original sentence gives you an impression that "hatched" (a verb-ed modifier) is modifying the noun "personal computing" which is right before the modifier... (I made this mistake and got the question wrong)

Once you do this, the question becomes a parallelism question and you just have to check whether "hatched" and "permeating" are parallel to each other ...and yes they are ...

This structure is not present in any of the answer choices except A ..

Hence A is correct.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 05:25
Why is option E wrong
That in D refers to concept so i think it is alright and is parallel .
Am i correct in my reasoning ?
Please explain

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 13:38
arvind910619 wrote:
Why is option E wrong
That in D refers to concept so i think it is alright and is parallel .
Am i correct in my reasoning ?
Please explain

In option E "hatched" and "that permeating" are not parallel....

Hence, E is incorrect...

Had it been "a concept THAT hatched...and THAT permeating..." than it would have been grammatically parallel ...

Does this makes sense ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 12:35
mikemcgarry sayantanc2k
Can "that" and "which" be parallel ?

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 00:11
skrishnakarthik wrote:

(A) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

(B) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

(C) which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and permeating almost all of modern society

(D) hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, and which permeates almost all of modern society

(E) a concept hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society

A. "hatched" and "permeating" are participles correctly modifying subject of the sentence before the comma.

B. "which" and "that" wrongly modifying personal computing.

C. Same as B

D. parallelism error between "hatched" and "which permeates"

E. parallelism error

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 12:16
GMATNinjaTwo , broall , hazelnut , daagh

I rejected A because a Verb-ing modifier preceded by a comma cannot modify a noun phrase. It can modify a clause.
Also What is wrong with D and E??
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 11:55
skrishnakarthik wrote:

daagh sir

Doesn't "permeating" which happens to be a verb-ing modifier modify a noun phrase? Is this acceptable?

Moreover in the following question:

Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods.

D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

Here option D is the wrong answer just because a v-ing modifier is modifying a noun phrase
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 12:48
Top Contributor
D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

When the modification is not apparent, we have to go by logic since nobody other than the artists could have used technical knowledge as well as experience. I would say that a noun phrase interrupted by a modifier and separated from its verb is somewhat stylistically inferior to the choice that uses the modifier as an adjectival modifier and modifies the noun immediately after as seen in C.
Similarly, in the given case, two modifiers that come after it as in A. modify the noun phrase in the front.
You might see all other choices from B to E falter on parallelism.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 00:13
skrishnakarthik wrote:

A - looks good for its parallel structure
B - "which" and "that" are not parallel
C - the similar issue
D - the similar issue, but this case introduces ",' that is required when there are more than 2 elements in the list.
E - verb -ed and that are not parallel

Answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 01:43
skrishnakarthik wrote:

look at c, c is parallel.
was hatched and "was" permeating
this is parallel.
but the problem is that "was permeating" is wrong. permeating still exist. so, it is good to use " has permeating" or dont say about time at all as in choice a, " permeating"

this is the error of c. not parallel error.

am i correct. ?
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 00:31
skrishnakarthik wrote:

daagh , MartyMurray

How does B falter on parallelism. I am finding it difficult to eliminate. Can anybody help?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 10:27
Prateek176 wrote:
How does B falter on parallelism. I am finding it difficult to eliminate. Can anybody help?

The problem with B is the use of the word "that" before "permeated".

The use of the comma after "computing" and the use of the word "which" have already set up the modifier "which was hatched by several Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and that permeated almost all of modern society" to be a non-essential modifier. Also, the context in which the modifier appears and what it says clearly indicate that a non-essential modifier is called for and that the modifier is, in fact, a non-essential modifier.

So, the use, later in the modifier, of "that", which is generally considered the pronoun used to indicate that a modifier is essential, rather than non-essential, does not make sense.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

GMAT Club Bot
The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 10:27

The simple concept of personal computing, hatched by several Silicon V

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap