GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Apr 2018, 18:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:52) correct 49% (01:56) wrong based on 603 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New project from GMAT Club! Click here

The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time taking care of children whose parents do not arrive to pick them up from class on time. As a result, more teachers will have to be hired. The school could, instead, charge parents a nominal fee whenever they fail to arrive to pick their children up on time. This charge would encourage punctual pickup.

The conclusion above depends most strongly on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Parents will simplify their daily schedules in order to arrive at pickup time punctually.

(B) The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School.

(C) Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.

(D) A staff of highly qualified teachers is part of what encourages parents to bring their children to Soundview School.

(E) Parents who have errands to run or other tasks to complete could place their children in dedicated after school daycare programs.

Originally posted by avohden on 06 Nov 2013, 13:21.
Last edited by hazelnut on 24 Apr 2018, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
D
Re: The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 10:26
I respect Veritas but for me this question is not really a good question.

I f we analize sentence by sentence.

The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time taking care of children whose parents do not arrive to pick them up from class on time.

Ok pretty clear

As a result, more teachers will have to be hired.

Now: her the verbe tense is in the future. here should be used (in my opinion and accordingly with the rest of the tone of the stimulus)would be hired to cope that emergency situation.

The school could, instead, charge parents a nominal fee whenever they fail to arrive to pick their children up on time.

then: instead to hire more teachers the school increase the fees on children

This charge would encourage punctual pickup.

the parents who do not want to pay can or could: change their schedule to pick the guys on time. pay someone to go and pick on time. and so on....

Now C says:

Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.

In my opinion should be will NOT find more objectionable.......I do not see much sense in C as it is. :problem:
Re: The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 12:00
Is the OA provided correct? IMO C weakens the conclusion. It is not an assumption. I think A is best here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 12:49
Official Explanation

Answer: C
- This argument depends on the assumption that the fee charged to parents will actually work -- a typical assumption for "plan suggesting" questions such as this. As answer choice (C) suggests such a mechanism -- that parents will prefer to pick their children up rather than pay for increased teaching staff -- it is the correct answer choice. Answer choices (A) and (E) provide ways that parents could accommodate the request but do not discuss the logic used by the argument. Answer choice (B) is opposite and would actually weaken the argument. Answer choice (D) is out of scope.
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 18:37
avohden wrote:
Official Explanation

Answer: C
- This argument depends on the assumption that the fee charged to parents will actually work -- a typical assumption for "plan suggesting" questions such as this. As answer choice (C) suggests such a mechanism -- that parents will prefer to pick their children up rather than pay for increased teaching staff -- it is the correct answer choice. Answer choices (A) and (E) provide ways that parents could accommodate the request but do not discuss the logic used by the argument. Answer choice (B) is opposite and would actually weaken the argument. Answer choice (D) is out of scope.

sorry maybe i'm wrong but i totally agree with vjns

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 19:53
But isn't the whole argument about the late fee vs. salaries for additional staff to watch the kids. Answer A is not really in the scope of that argument. Answer C addresses the two cost scenarios and which is more objectionable or favorable in the eyes of the parents.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 09:55
C,

Conclusion: Charging a nominal fee would lead to the parents being more punctual.

The goal is to encourage parents to be more punctual and not to hire more teachers.

The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time taking care of children whose parents do not arrive to pick them up from class on time. As a result, more teachers will have to be hired. The school could, instead, charge parents a nominal fee whenever they fail to arrive to pick their children up on time. This charge would encourage punctual pickup.

The conclusion above depends most strongly on which of the following assumptions?

A. Parents will simplify their daily schedules in order to arrive at pickup time punctually. They might have busy schedules or they might not. We are not told that they have a busy schedule. So this can't be the assumption

B. The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School.Weakens.If it won't be a additional burden, it will actually weaken the argument

C. Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.Correct. They find late pickup fee more objectionable than tuition fee hike (It means that even though they can pay more tuition fee, they will not do so because they find late pickup fee more objectionable, hence will become more punctual)

D. A staff of highly qualified teachers is part of what encourages parents to bring their children to Soundview School. Irrelevant

E. Parents who have errands to run or other tasks to complete could place their children in dedicated after school daycare programs.Does not strengthen the argument

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 10:45
I believe that the word "objectionable" is poorly used here. How can an objectionable method/rule make someone change his/her initial attitude to the desired one? If I find something objectionable, I usually protest, get displeased and inevitably might stop having an affair with said establishment (in our case the Soundview school). Sure some people might not say anything and eventually change their attitude, but still we are not 100% sure. In my opinion this argument seriously weakens the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 11:32
C it is.

DrFeelgood wrote:
I believe that the word "objectionable" is poorly used here. How can an objectionable method/rule make someone change his/her initial attitude to the desired one? If I find something objectionable, I usually protest, get displeased and inevitably might stop having an affair with said establishment (in our case the Soundview school). Sure some people might not say anything and eventually change their attitude, but still we are not 100% sure. In my opinion this argument seriously weakens the conclusion.

Objectionable also means something that one does not approve of, or would rather not have , or does not like.

The staff has 2 ways to take care of unattended children:
1. Hire more staff
OR
2. Charge parents a nominal fee in case of late pickup.

Conclusion: Option 2 will lead to punctual pickup.

Assumption: Parents will prefer 2) to 1) -- Option C says "Hiring more staff (option 1)" will lead to increased tuition fee. But since conclusion says option 2 will lead to punctual pickup, we can assume that parents would prefer 2) to 1) ; or in other words, parents would not like to pay the fee which is why charging them would fix the problem.
Basically they just assumed that parents would not like the school to hire more staff!

Hope this helps 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 05:31
avohden wrote:

A. Parents will simplify their daily schedules in order to arrive at pickup time punctually.

B. The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School.

C. Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.

D. A staff of highly qualified teachers is part of what encourages parents to bring their children to Soundview School.

E. Parents who have errands to run or other tasks to complete could place their children in dedicated after school daycare programs.

oe to follow

As I see it,
C basically says that parents were already offered the option of paying more tuition for more teacher to be hired,
but they objected to it.
So the only option left for the school is to administer nominal fees...
Now, in order that parents be punctual, this fee needs to be higher that the first option suggested, and thus lead
to more objection on the parent's part, and make them more punctual...
Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 530 Q39 V28
GPA: 3.85
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 09:35
ramannanda9 wrote:
C,

Conclusion: Charging a nominal fee would lead to the parents being more punctual.

The goal is to encourage parents to be more punctual and not to hire more teachers.

A. Parents will simplify their daily schedules in order to arrive at pickup time punctually. They might have busy schedules or they might not. We are not told that they have a busy schedule. So this can't be the assumption

B. The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School.Weakens.If it won't be a additional burden, it will actually weaken the argument

C. Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.Correct. They find late pickup fee more objectionable than tuition fee hike (It means that even though they can pay more tuition fee, they will not do so because they find late pickup fee more objectionable, hence will become more punctual)

D. A staff of highly qualified teachers is part of what encourages parents to bring their children to Soundview School. Irrelevant

E. Parents who have errands to run or other tasks to complete could place their children in dedicated after school daycare programs.Does not strengthen the argument

If the conclusion is to encourage parents to be punctual, then choice A eliminates the possible reason why parents can't be punctual.
If parents can't simplify their schedule they can't be able to pick up on time. In such case money charge doesn't matter for parents.

What is wrong with my logic?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 09:50
Hi Experts ,

I am having a huge problem in understand why B is wrong ?
If we negate B
The fee charged for late pickup will be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School --->the for sure they would become punctual .
The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School-->thenthey will not be punctual .

i am confused !!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 12:34
shelrod007 wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I am having a huge problem in understand why B is wrong ?
If we negate B
The fee charged for late pickup will be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School --->the for sure they would become punctual .
The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School-->thenthey will not be punctual .

i am confused !!

Hey.. The point is that if the assumption(i.e. the correct option) is negated, the conclusion MUST fall apart.

If you negate B, the conclusion is rather strengthened! (Like you explained in your answer) .
Conclusion: Parents will become punctual if charged extra fee.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2014, 12:47
DrFeelgood wrote:

IMO C weakens the conclusion too! Or at least it is a "Could be true" but not a "Must be true"...
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 21:57
avohden wrote:

A. Parents will simplify their daily schedules in order to arrive at pickup time punctually.

B. The fee charged for late pickup will not be a significant additional burden to most families that can afford tuition at Soundview School.

C. Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.

D. A staff of highly qualified teachers is part of what encourages parents to bring their children to Soundview School.

E. Parents who have errands to run or other tasks to complete could place their children in dedicated after school daycare programs.

oe to follow

Responding to a pm:

Argument:
Staff is spending more time taking care of children whose parents get late.
As a result, more teachers will have to be hired.
Instead, charge parents a nominal fee whenever they get late.
This charge would encourage punctual pickup.

The author says that instead of hiring more teachers, levy a fine on the parents who arrive late. This would encourage punctual pick up. The purpose of the plan is to encourage parents to pick students on time. It is not to manage late pick up. So the author says that instead of hiring more teachers (which increases the tuition and hence may encourage parents to pick kids on time), charge a nominal fee for late pickup. That will actually lead to parents arriving on time.
The author is assuming that nominal late charge will be more effective than fee hike in encouraging people to pick on time.
Hence (C) is correct.

Options (A) and (E) discuss how parents will manage arriving early. Note that these are not assumptions. They are not necessarily what parents will do. e.g. parents may not simplify their schedules. They may just re-arrange their schedules to arrive on time. Similarly, parents may not put their kids in school day care - they may ask relatives/friends to help out etc. An assumption needs to be necessarily true for the conclusion to hold. (A) and (E) don't need to be necessarily true.

(B) weakens the argument. If the late fee charged is not significant, parents may not mind it and hence may not arrive on time. So the purpose of the fee hike will be lost.

(D) is out of scope.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 09:20
Thar was quit easy. C is the only one about the fact that the 3xtra cost will be so much that parents will pick up their child
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 08:03
one assumption as explained by veritas
The author is assuming that nominal late charge will be more effective than fee hike in encouraging people to pick on time.

i agree with it
but the choice c is
Parents will find the late pickup fee more objectionable than a tuition hike that would be necessary to pay for additional staff.

parents might still keep paying the late fees irrespective of their preferences
it doesn't give a guarantee that parents will change their habit of late picking
this is not a good choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 19:53
avohden wrote:

oe to follow

C. Negate. Parents will find tution fee hike
more objectionable than late fee hike.
Or parents will not find late fee more objectionable than tution fee hike. So that means they will oppose tution hike and they will pick their kids early. Conclusion stand corrected. How come its a right answer

avohden wrote:

oe to follow

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 03:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 03:23

The staff of Soundview School is spending more and more of its time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics