GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jun 2018, 22:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (00:57) correct 30% (01:03) wrong based on 909 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

(A) rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(B) rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(C) rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage

(D) with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage

(E) and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Originally posted by age on 30 Aug 2009, 22:40.
Last edited by hazelnut on 16 Jun 2018, 22:54, edited 5 times in total.
OA Added
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2010, 22:00
age wrote:
Can some one plz explain me why A is not run-on sentence....

A is not a run-on sentence! "rules intended ..." is not a clause, it is a modifier! If it is a clause, it should be "rules intends to/rules are intended to.."
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules [highlight](which are)[/highlight] intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

It's a resumptive modifier:
"A modifier that repeats a key word at the end of a sentence and then adds informative or descriptive details related to that word."
http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/resump ... erterm.htm

Kudo me if i'm right *winks* (I need 4 more kudos)
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2009, 01:35
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OK.

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

Hence I go with A.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 13:01
age wrote:
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

OA....will be provided later...plz explain....

Intend + to is the correct idiom hence B,D are out
ensure + that is the correct idiom hence C,E are out

hence A is the correct answer
hope this helps :) :)

WarLocK

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2011, 01:16
noboru wrote:
why is rules intended and not rules intending?
The rules are not receiving the intention (intended), but "performing" the intention (intending).

Please clarify.
Thanks.

this is a passive construction. the rules are intended to do something.
'rules intending' means that rules are intending to do something. rules don't have intentions.

that's why 'intending' is not correct

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 11:16

Option A is presenting an absolute phrase modifer, which looks fine. I was only concerned with the meaning of "triage" whether it should modify nurses or patient.
I googled out its meaning and found that it is a process of prioritizing patients in a order as per the emergency. Thus, "put through triage" is modifying patients and that is also ok.

A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room -- OK

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room -- to be - to be awkward.

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage -- good contender against A, but put through triage is placed after room, making it a dangling modifier. Further for rules intending VS rules intended in this context intended wins.

D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
Ensure - should pair is enough to eliminate it.

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
this - expressing whole idea using pronoun -- not allowed.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 09:56
It is an example that tests noun+noun modifier concept. another similar examples are

1)[b]Floating in the waters of the equatorial Pacific, an array of buoys collects and transmits data on long-term
interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, [color=#ec008c]interactions
that affect global climate.

2)Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly
cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile
female workers.
[/color]

3) With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been
considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to
bottom.
. This one is a bit tricky.

A member sidhu4u has given a good approach to deal with such questions as below.
B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its
Correct answer.
Think of it like this: Europa, its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom, has long been considered far too cold to support life.
This is a type of modifier I think although I'm not sure what the construction is called.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 03:37
Shivikaa wrote:
Hi,
If in E, there would have been 'atleast one nurse'.
Would it be considered as a right answer ? if not, then why ?
Please help.
thanks in advance.

Hey Shivikaa ,

No, in that case also E would have been incorrect.

The original meaning of the sentence implies that rules were intended to do something.

But in E, the meaning is the reason for proposing those rules was to do something.

Do you see the change in the meaning? It was not the reason for proposing those rules rather it was proposing rules that do something.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 10:58
kiranaimhigh wrote:
Sir,

Can anyone explain me why was the word 'rules" again repeated in the second clause. As per which rule. I am unavailable to find it out. I think if there is no misplaced modifier in option D. It would have been a better option. Kindly help me.

Hi @kiranaimhighm, this repetition of rules is called resumptive modifier and adds clarity to the sentence.

You might want to do a Google search for this. I landed up on this article.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 11:09
Shivikaa wrote:
Hi,
If in E, there would have been 'atleast one nurse'.
Would it be considered as a right answer ? if not, then why ?
Please help.
thanks in advance.

Hi Shivikaa, easiest way to to eliminate E is that it incorrectly uses the "Demonstrative Pronoun" this. As abhimahana also alludes in his post, there is an ambiguity associated with what this refers to.

Hence, in non-comparison sentences, we would normally expect Demonstrative pronouns to be followed by a noun, to make it clear what the Demonstrative Pronoun is referring to. For example, E would have been better had it been:

....and this proposal is intended to.....

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this usage of Demonstrative Pronoun. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Demonstrative Pronoun.pdf [14.55 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level &nbs [#permalink] 11 Mar 2018, 11:09

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap