GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 08:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:03) correct 68% (01:17) wrong based on 210 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone credit card numbers, intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings.

A. intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings.

B. with the intent of others using them to avoid telephone billings.

C. intending that telephone billings could be avoided by others using them.

D. with the intent of their use by others to avoid telephone billings.

E. with the intent that telephone billings would be avoided by others through their use.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jul 2018, 09:13
Bunuel wrote:
The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone credit card numbers, intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings.

+1 for A.

A. intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings. --> Correct, card number cannot have 'intend' therefore 'with the intent' is redundant, instead 'intending' makes more sense, also the option has no pronoun ambiguity

E. with the intent that telephone billings would be avoided by others through their use.

Hence, A.

The few, the fearless !

Originally posted by sudarshan22 on 24 Jul 2018, 08:54.
Last edited by sudarshan22 on 24 Jul 2018, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 08:55

"with the intent" sounds more idiomatic than "intending" modifier. "they" is used to refer people INCORRECT

Meaning error. "intent of others" indicates that it is not the intent of suspect but of others. INCORRECT

"with the intent" sounds more idiomatic than "intending" modifier.

"their" is associated with people but this sentence uses it for credit card numbers. INCORRECT

suspects intent is correctly written using "would" to represent a certain event

Hence option E

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
CAT Tests
Re: The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 08:59
Confused about this one since A & B seem correct but going with B

Bunuel wrote:

A. intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings. Seem correct but wordy

B. with the intent of others using them to avoid telephone billings. Less wordy

SC Moderator
G
Re: The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:08
workout funsogu

I zeroed out options with 'with the intend' because it seems like the card number is having the intend( not possible in real life), instead it is the suspect who has the intend.

Correct me if i am wrong, the doubt though :?

The few, the fearless !

MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:26
sudarshan22 wrote:
workout funsogu

I zeroed out options with 'with the intend' because it seems like the card number is having the intend( not possible in real life), instead it is the suspect who has the intend.

Correct me if i am wrong, the doubt though :?

Hey sudarshan22

As I understand "with" can modify either preceding noun or preceding verb. What "with" actually modifies is driven by the context of the sentence. I thought "which" is used to modify the verb "published" and the sentence makes sense i.e the suspect "published" ... "with the intent" ....

One more reason why I gravitated towards option E is the use of "would" to represent a future conditional event. Again I am not 100% sure on this. I am curious to see whats the official answer and explanation.

B-School app with GRE

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:31
A. intending that they be used by others to avoid telephone billings.... Here they refers to card nos., Which is wrong.

B. with the intent of others using them to avoid telephone billings... With the intent of others is wrong.
C. intending that telephone billings could be avoided by others using them... With the intent is more idiomatic than intending.
D. with the intent of their use by others to avoid telephone billings.... with the intent should be followed by that
E. with the intent that telephone billings would be avoided by others through their use... correct( showing hypothetical situation).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:34
Intention refers to publishing of card nos. Not card nos.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SC Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:36
This one got me down, confusing it is !

daagh sir
Can you please provide your take on this

The few, the fearless !

MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 09:40
I took one more look at the options.

Option A looks good too with subjunctive mood and correct usage of the base verb "be" As of now its a coin toss between options A and E :)

B-School app with GRE

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 10:33
Bunuel wrote:

Between A and E, E can be eliminated because it gives an illogical meaning that the suspect is facing changes with some intent. The meaning issue can be understood by the following example:
Jack and Jill are climbing the mountain with the intent of proving their masculinity.
Here the intention is self motivated. Option E similarly projects an illogical picture that the suspect is intentionally facing charges.

Hence, A it is as 'intending' is correctly modifying 'published'.
Please correct me if my reasoning is flawed.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 11:21
Top Contributor

There is no doubt that both comma+ ing and the prepositional phrase modify the suspect and his publishing. However, the act had a purpose to avoid the billings. A states this purpose forthrightly in an infinitive' to avoid,' while E uses an inferior 'would be avoided.' Per se, 'to avoid' can be taken for both the present and the future, while 'would be avoided' limits it to the future only. Thus A is a tad better than E.
The major problem is the convoluted use of the passive voice in the sentence. The text could have been better as in < The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone credit card numbers, intending that others can use them to avoid telephone billings>

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 07:10
I feel that there is a usage error in A. the comma - ing modifier starting with intending should ideally be a result of the previous sentence or an effect that was brought on by the previous sentence. The intention comes first then the publishing happens. Can anyone clarify this for me?
MBA Section Director
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 07:50
mitrakaushi wrote:
I feel that there is a usage error in A. the comma - ing modifier starting with intending should ideally be a result of the previous sentence or an effect that was brought on by the previous sentence. The intention comes first then the publishing happens. Can anyone clarify this for me?

mitrakaushi

the comma - ing modifier starting with intending can also provide "How" aspect of the verb in the preceding cause. In this sentence, the suspect published with the intention. So, the comma - ing modifier perfectly describes how the action was done.

B-School app with GRE

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 07:50

The suspect is facing charges that he illegally published telephone cr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap