Last visit was: 30 May 2024, 12:10 It is currently 30 May 2024, 12:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 170
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q79 V79 DI77
GMAT 1: 460 Q36 V18 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q79 V79 DI77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q79 V79 DI77
Send PM
Re: The table provides some data regarding a film discussion website. For [#permalink]
@MartyMurray @chetan2u
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: The table provides some data regarding a film discussion website. For [#permalink]
can an explanation to the answer choices be provided? when they say correlation in GMAT- do we analyze correlations for every individual value or just for the overall set and just look at if the extreme values represent some sort of correlation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
RO1

The first statement says
Quote:
The numbers of December comments; the numbers of years since the films were first released

It does not say the years, it says the number of years so just consider any year post-2008, say 2020, and then count the number of years from when the film was released till 2020.

When you sort the table from low to high for December comments and count the number of years from release till 2020, you will realise that the numbers keep increasing from 2008 to 1922 (obv because the difference increases) and so they are positively correlated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Schools: IIMC
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q88 V79 DI77
GPA: 7.98
Send PM
I think the idea to find the positive/negative co-relations in the table is that the number of times the consecutive values are increasing or decreasing ?
If the number of times value is increasing > number of times value is decreasing => positive corelation.
Else it is a neutral or negative corelation.
Please let me know if my approach is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
What I've learnt is that a positive correlation doesnt imply a directly proportional relationship.
In simple terms what that means is that not every increase in X requires an increase in Y for the two to be positively correlated.
We look at the bigger picture here. If we plot a scatter plot graph between the two factors and then draw a trend line on said graph we can see the positive correlation between the facotrs.
Basically if for a majority of points Y increases as X increases then the two are positively correlated and we can ignore the outliers.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 190
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
The table provides some data regarding a film discussion website. For [#permalink]
Expert Reply

jack5397 wrote:
Shinigami_R

Unfortunately I don’t have official explanation as I am seeking answer myself. I got the same answer as you. This is an official question of Mock 4.

Posted from my mobile device

­bb
chetan2u

Can we please have a mechanism to prevent posting of paid mock questions? Or a mechanism to tag the question such that people know that a particular question is from paid mocks?

As we all are well aware that even a single question solved previously and appearing in the mock can distort the mock scores significantly, thereby providing a misleading picture of ones performance. I believe it is of utmost importance to have a differentiating mechanism for questions from the free mocks and from the paid mocks.

Originally posted by Vinit800HBS on 13 May 2024, 09:52.
Last edited by Vinit800HBS on 13 May 2024, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32970 [1]
Given Kudos: 310
Send PM
The table provides some data regarding a film discussion website. For [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
­Vinit, we too discourage people from trying out official mock questions without having taken the mocks. We will work out a way out of it.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
I think drawing a rough scatter plot and trying to fit in a line covering most points will tell us that all the three data sets would be having positive correlation. Y increases when x increases is a flawed approach as it does not paint the big picture.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93548 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1001 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11318 posts