GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 04:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (00:47) correct 49% (00:52) wrong based on 545 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

C) and before commencing their first practice, joined in a breif strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 08:58
riderofthestorm wrote:
The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

C) and before commencing their first practice, joined in a breif strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a breif strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.

Hi riderofthestorm,

this question is flawed. In the not underlined part "their" has no reference, it should stand for "the players", but this noun does not appear anywhere in the sentence.

I would suggest you to use reliable sources for you preparation, and to finish all the Official Question before doing other source's questions. Regards :)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2013, 03:35
Zarrolou wrote:

I would suggest you to use reliable sources for you preparation, and to finish all the Official Question before doing other source's questions. Regards :)

Unfortunately, I finished all of the OG Qs and I want to practice so I don't have too many options...
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 12:14
is it ok to place comma after and ??

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 14:56
PiyushK wrote:

You know, I would be surprised to see a question like this come from the GMAT. It's not grammatically incorrect to include a non-essential phrase after a coordinating conjunction (and), but there is some debate around how to punctuate a situation like that. I find it interesting that this particular problem has the comma as the single determining factor between choices C & E. It's rare to see GMAT questions come down a choice about whether to include a comma or not. On this problem it's clear that they want you to decide that this is a non-essential element and set it off by commas as in choice E, but I don't love that single, forced decision between C & E.

If anyone has seen a non-essential phrase directly after a coordinating conjunction on an official GMAT question I would love to see what punctuation the GMAT expects in that rare case.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2014, 23:52
Zarrolou wrote:
riderofthestorm wrote:

Hi riderofthestorm,

this question is flawed. In the not underlined part "their" has no reference, it should stand for "the players", but this noun does not appear anywhere in the sentence.

Does it always have to be so mechanical..it is quite implied...I think this should be Ok on the GMAT...are u sure that this usage is incorrect on the GMAT under all circumstances...

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 00:23
KyleWiddison wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

You know, I would be surprised to see a question like this come from the GMAT. It's not grammatically incorrect to include a non-essential phrase after a coordinating conjunction (and), but there is some debate around how to punctuate a situation like that. I find it interesting that this particular problem has the comma as the single determining factor between choices C & E. It's rare to see GMAT questions come down a choice about whether to include a comma or not. On this problem it's clear that they want you to decide that this is a non-essential element and set it off by commas as in choice E, but I don't love that single, forced decision between C & E.

If anyone has seen a non-essential phrase directly after a coordinating conjunction on an official GMAT question I would love to see what punctuation the GMAT expects in that rare case.

KW

option C has been wrongly modified in here .the correct option C is : and a strategy session preceded its first practice

though i have different issue : i have a little problem with E .when ever we have a participle modifier then it should be followed by a subject that it tends to modify .so "before commencing their first practice" should be followed by a subject .this is not happening in E.
kindly comment on this
thanks and regrads
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 00:30
riderofthestorm wrote:

I am not sure as to what is a participle modifier...

But I can break the structure:

The team
1.streamed into the locker room
2.donned their uniforms
3.joined in a brief strategy session

The modifier: "before commencing their first practice" modifies the team and is placed before 3 to put more emphasis on the time frame

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 00:53
Quote:

the modifier "before commencing their first practice" is a participle modifier

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 15:14
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
riderofthestorm wrote:

Hi riderofthestorm,

Does it always have to be so mechanical..it is quite implied...I think this should be Ok on the GMAT...are u sure that this usage is incorrect on the GMAT under all circumstances...

I think this would be ok on the GMAT because using the pronoun "their" makes clear that we aren't emphasizing the team as a collective noun but rather the individual members of the team. That said, if we saw this on the GMAT I would bet that it would say "the team MEMBERS" to avoid confusion that is not core to the question itself.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 15:19
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

the modifier "before commencing their first practice" is a participle modifier

I think you mean to say that "before commencing their first practice" is a prepositional modifier because "before" starts the modifying phrase and it's a preposition. Participial modifiers are started with participles. The word "commencing" might make you think it's participial, but that is where -ing verbs are tricky - they can act as modifiers, nouns and verbs. Here, "commencing" is being used as a noun.

KW

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2014, 02:30
Is the breif vs brief spelling mistake intentional ?

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 15:09
himanshujovi wrote:
Is the breif vs brief spelling mistake intentional ?

The spelling error would not be intentional. Spelling is not a tested area on the GMAT, so any spelling errors you see in the forum would be the result of errors is copying over the words.

KW

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 09:45
This is a Kaplan question. Official explanation about the "theirs" is:
"Notice, by the way, that the team, though technically singular, is construed as plural in the part of the sentence that´s not underlined; it must be constructed in the same way throughout the sentence, and this is another reason why (A), (B) and (C) are wrong.

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 13:04
Thanks for adding the explanation from Kaplan. It highlights the importance of recognizing what you are stuck with in the non-underlined portion.

KW

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 11:27
KyleWiddison wrote:

Hi riderofthestorm,

I would suggest you to use reliable sources for you preparation, and to finish all the Official Question before doing other source's questions. Regards :)[/quote]

Does it always have to be so mechanical..it is quite implied...I think this should be Ok on the GMAT...are u sure that this usage is incorrect on the GMAT under all circumstances...[/quote]

I think this would be ok on the GMAT because using the pronoun "their" makes clear that we aren't emphasizing the team as a collective noun but rather the individual members of the team. That said, if we saw this on the GMAT I would bet that it would say "the team MEMBERS" to avoid confusion that is not core to the question itself.

KW[/quote]

Sir,
I was puzzled between D and E
I chose D over E Because I thought that then sentence E might not be as clear as D..

Correct me if I am wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:58
suramya26 wrote:
Sir,
I was puzzled between D and E
I chose D over E Because I thought that then sentence E might not be as clear as D..

Correct me if I am wrong

Hi,

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

Option D breaks parallelism between 3 verbs 'streamed , donned ,and joined' , therefore incorrect

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Re: The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2017, 01:58

The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap