GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 08:39

R1 Admission Decisions:

CMU Tepper in Calling R1 Admits   |  Kellogg Calls are Expected Shortly


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 27
R: K
The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Feb 2014, 11:48
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:33) correct 46% (01:37) wrong based on 330 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, actually refers to the retribution that comes to bear against those who have committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Assuming the statements above are all true, a good example of a 'nemesis' would be _____


A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally
B. A powerful warrior who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school

Originally posted by CARK on 31 Jan 2014, 07:48.
Last edited by CARK on 02 Feb 2014, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 189
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 08:43
1
IMO D
More of vocab question that's what I felt. Retribution,Act of Hubris :-O ...Anyways I understood the meaning from its context in the sentence.
'Nemesis' as given in stem: Retribution against those who committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Let's look at the options:

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally Out
B. A powerful worrier who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew. Not an act of hubris for sure, so not a Nemesis. Incorrect
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis.
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god. Hold on. A Nemesis indeed.
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis for sure.

Hence we have D as our answer. Please post OE if you have as it will help. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2014
Posts: 89
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 13:16
1
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3292
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 07:05
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2014
Posts: 89
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 07:17
carcass wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?



why do you think that this question is quite tough ??'


As a non-native, my vocabulary stash is not that big. Most of the times I manage to get the meaning of new words through the context; however in this one I couldn't. :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 08:59
mba1382 wrote:
IMO D
More of vocab question that's what I felt. Retribution,Act of Hubris :-O ...Anyways I understood the meaning from its context in the sentence.
'Nemesis' as given in stem: Retribution against those who committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Let's look at the options:

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally Out
B. A powerful worrier who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew. Not an act of hubris for sure, so not a Nemesis. Incorrect
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis.
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god. Hold on. A Nemesis indeed.
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school. Incorrect. Not a Nemesis for sure.

Hence we have D as our answer. Please post OE if you have as it will help. Thanks.


Correct! If you understand these words, there is nothing in this question.
_________________

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire


Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 153
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 12:33
1
I feel dumb with this question.

What exactly does this mean?

"The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god". I am not sure if this sentence is formed correctly.

Can someone please elaborate?

Also, in B. Does the word worrier indicate someone who worries? or is it a typo for warrior?
_________________

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 843
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 04:00
Abdul29 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?



why do you think that this question is quite tough ??'


As a non-native, my vocabulary stash is not that big. Most of the times I manage to get the meaning of new words through the context; however in this one I couldn't. :?


Totally agree, as a non native you have no chance with this question. So many uncommon words... horrible.
_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2633
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 04:10
CARK wrote:
The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, actually refers to the retribution that comes to bear against those who have committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

Assuming the statements above are all true, a good example of a nemesis would be _____


A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally
B. A powerful warrior who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew
C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness
D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god
E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school


This can be categorized as parallel reasoning or method of reasoning question.

The main point is the definition/criteria for nemesis: retribution that comes to bear against those who have committed an act of hubris, which is a prideful or haughty transgression of cultural norms.

In simpler terms, nemesis refers to an external "opposing" force that will hit a prideful or egoist person when he or she has committed a very bad thing (something that is against the cultural norms!). When something is prideful, it can not be unintentional (not usually!).

A. A character who is punished by the god for a harmful act that was committed unintentionally

B. A powerful warrior who is sent to avenge the murder of the King’s nephew
This option might even be considered 'noble' rather than an act of hubris.

C. The blinding of King whose unhappiness throughout his life was the result of a symbolic blindness
Symbolic blindness can refer to looking away when unjust things were happening in the king's kingdom. Nothing prideful/against cultural norms about it.

D. The fated fall from power of a brutal tyrant to linked himself to a god
"fated" : similar to as you sow, so shall you reap!! A tyrant will be an egoist/prideful person who went against the cultural norms by linking himself to a god.!! Correct answer.

E. A parent who punishes her child for getting in trouble at school
No act of "hubris" mentioned or anything against the cultural norms!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 376
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:52
Abdul29 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty tough. Do questions like this even appear on the GMAT?



why do you think that this question is quite tough ??'


As a non-native, my vocabulary stash is not that big. Most of the times I manage to get the meaning of new words through the context; however in this one I couldn't. :?

I agree. I could guess the meaning of the sentence (and i know what is nemesis) but i doubt that this is GMAT-format question. Looks like self-made question
_________________

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 29
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 20:33
I am sorry, but this is indeed a horrible horrible question for non-natives! No chance, only way is to understand/guess the context and mark the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”, &nbs [#permalink] 29 Apr 2018, 20:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The word “nemesis” often used interchangeably with “enemy”,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.