Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea [#permalink]
Hi RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, VeritasKarishma

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.

From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?

If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster (richachampion, a member of beat the gmat) is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__
Attachments

Theatergoer.PNG
Theatergoer.PNG [ 42.3 KiB | Viewed 11521 times ]

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mr. Stewart is definitely correct. If a paragraph is attributed to someone, then the whole thing will consist of their words. There is no separate "author." The passage can describe the reasoning of other people, and in fact the theatergoer spends most of their argument describing the reasoning of the theater chain. But when we get to the conclusion, it is the theatergoer's opinion.

So while every word of the argument is from the theatergoer, the structure of the argument first presents us with Megaplex's reasoning, and then the theatergoer's assertion that the reasoning is false, and then a premise supporting that assertion. Our job is then to help knock this assertion down, and thereby indirectly support Megaplex's decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: IMD '21 (S)
Send PM
E clearly add not to every sentence and check which option effect the most

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Careful, ankit9291. The technique you're describing--the Negation Test--is for assumption questions, not strengthen/weaken. The idea of the Negation Test is to see if the argument FAILS when the statement is negated. That's not what we want here, and that approach can cause you to miss some strengthen/weaken questions. It's better to test the statements as they are.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.

From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?

If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster (richachampion, a member of beat the gmat) is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__

AsadAbu, here are my two cents:

Argument 1:

The green part is a part of direct speech of Theatergoer.

Argument 2:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales.

That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Argument 3:

In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

Quote:

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__

Argument 1:

Argument 2:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales.

That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Argument 3:

In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Hi VeritasKarishma,
It seems that your argument 1 and argument 3 contradict each other! Could you say that what's going on in this CR, exactly?
Thanks__
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,
It seems that your argument 1 and argument 3 contradict each other! Could you say that what's going on in this CR, exactly?
Thanks__

Arguments 1 and 3 are different. Note the single word that makes this difference - "Theatregoer" at the beginning.
Argument 1 is completely attributed to the Theatregoer. Everything is said by the Theatregoer in that.
Argument 3 is written by the author. It is not attributed to anyone else.
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

Quote:

Thanks__

Argument 1:

Argument 2:

Argument 3:

Quote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,
Thanks__

VeritasKarishma wrote:
Arguments 1 and 3 are different. Note the single word that makes this difference - "Theatregoer" at the beginning.
Argument 1 is completely attributed to the Theatregoer. Everything is said by the Theatregoer in that.
Argument 3 is written by the author. It is not attributed to anyone else.

Hi VeritasKarishma,
Thanks for your kind response.
I'm lost in understanding argument 1 and 2. There is no huge differences between argument 1 and argument 2-In argument 2, just the writing has been separated by 2 paragraphs. So, how do someone convinced that this 2nd paragraph is written by "author" in argument 2?
Thanks__
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Thanks for your kind response.
I'm lost in understanding argument 1 and 2. There is no huge differences between argument 1 and argument 2-In argument 2, just the writing has been separated by 2 paragraphs. So, how do someone convinced that this 2nd paragraph is written by "author" in argument 2?
Thanks__

Normally, no part of the argument is attributed to anyone else. It is just what the author writes. But sometimes, some statements are attributed to others. Until and unless, a statement has specifically someone's name ahead of it, it belongs to the author.

For example, Argument:

Theatregoer: .....
(Everything said in this paragraph belongs to the Theatregoer)

Movie Critic: .....
(Everything said in this paragraph belongs to the Movie Critic)

But neither one of them has considered the possibility that ... (not attributed to anyone. This is written by the author)

When you change the paragraph, you show that a new thought is being presented.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I'm not able to understand why C is wrong and why E is right. Please explain me this question along with the options in detail. Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1416 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos