GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1030
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 15:10
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:46) correct 29% (02:09) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?


A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.

B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.

C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.

D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.

E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.



_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 20:09
1
Situation: change in the oil made 5% increase in the sales of the popcorn.
Hence, we need an alternate explaination for the cause.
So,increase in sold tickets by 20% made the change is best suitable answer

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1030
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 05:02
Mohitstarc wrote:
Situation: change in the oil made 5% increase in the sales of the popcorn.
Hence, we need an alternate explaination for the cause.
So,increase in sold tickets by 20% made the change is best suitable answer

Posted from my mobile device

Adding with your highlighted part: Change in the oil is not all the year round; it is "last year than in the previous year".
Thanks__
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1030
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 10:20
Hi RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, VeritasKarishma

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.


From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?


If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster (richachampion, a member of beat the gmat) is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__
Attachments

Theatergoer.PNG
Theatergoer.PNG [ 42.3 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]


_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1479
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 11:48
Mr. Stewart is definitely correct. If a paragraph is attributed to someone, then the whole thing will consist of their words. There is no separate "author." The passage can describe the reasoning of other people, and in fact the theatergoer spends most of their argument describing the reasoning of the theater chain. But when we get to the conclusion, it is the theatergoer's opinion.

So while every word of the argument is from the theatergoer, the structure of the argument first presents us with Megaplex's reasoning, and then the theatergoer's assertion that the reasoning is false, and then a premise supporting that assertion. Our job is then to help knock this assertion down, and thereby indirectly support Megaplex's decision.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Schools: IMD '21 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 12:29
E clearly add not to every sentence and check which option effect the most

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1479
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 13:00
Careful, ankit9291. The technique you're describing--the Negation Test--is for assumption questions, not strengthen/weaken. The idea of the Negation Test is to see if the argument FAILS when the statement is negated. That's not what we want here, and that approach can cause you to miss some strengthen/weaken questions. It's better to test the statements as they are.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9320
Location: Pune, India
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 05:56
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, VeritasKarishma

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.


From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?



If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster (richachampion, a member of beat the gmat) is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__


AsadAbu, here are my two cents:

Argument 1:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is a part of direct speech of Theatergoer.

Argument 2:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales.

That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Argument 3:

In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1030
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 08:17
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, VeritasKarishma

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.


From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?

If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__


AsadAbu, here are my two cents:

Argument 1:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is a part of direct speech of Theatergoer.

Argument 2:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales.

That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Argument 3:

In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Hi VeritasKarishma,
It seems that your argument 1 and argument 3 contradict each other! Could you say that what's going on in this CR, exactly?
Thanks__
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9320
Location: Pune, India
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 22:31
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,
It seems that your argument 1 and argument 3 contradict each other! Could you say that what's going on in this CR, exactly?
Thanks__



Arguments 1 and 3 are different. Note the single word that makes this difference - "Theatregoer" at the beginning.
Argument 1 is completely attributed to the Theatregoer. Everything is said by the Theatregoer in that.
Argument 3 is written by the author. It is not attributed to anyone else.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1030
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 04:13
VeritasKarishma wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, VeritasKarishma

Quote:
Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theatergoer‘s argument?

A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.


From my realization on this CR, it seems that the green part is not Theatergoer's side; it's the author's side. If I'm not wrong, then could you put some insights here?

If the link makes you problem to find out my query, you can safely take help from attachment.

On the above link, one of my honorable experts ( IanStewart ) said that the green part is NOT from author (who wrote this CR) side! If this message is from general people like me, then I'll not be so serious about that message. But, when a message (from an extraordinary expert) says something, which goes against my beliefs/realization/knowing/judgement, then it makes me so curious to know the real thing! From my thinking, the poster (richachampion, a member of beat the gmat) is 100% correct! Am I right? So, I'm eagerly waiting for your extraordinary response that you put in this club all the times!
Thanks__


AsadAbu, here are my two cents:

Argument 1:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is a part of direct speech of Theatergoer.

Argument 2:

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales.

That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

Argument 3:

In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.

The green part is the author's conclusion + premise.
Author's conclusion: That claim is false,
Author's premise: According to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.


Quote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,
It seems that your argument 1 and argument 3 contradict each other! Could you say that what's going on in this CR, exactly?
Thanks__

VeritasKarishma wrote:
Arguments 1 and 3 are different. Note the single word that makes this difference - "Theatregoer" at the beginning.
Argument 1 is completely attributed to the Theatregoer. Everything is said by the Theatregoer in that.
Argument 3 is written by the author. It is not attributed to anyone else.

Hi VeritasKarishma,
Thanks for your kind response.
I'm lost in understanding argument 1 and 2. There is no huge differences between argument 1 and argument 2-In argument 2, just the writing has been separated by 2 paragraphs. So, how do someone convinced that this 2nd paragraph is written by "author" in argument 2?
Thanks__
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9320
Location: Pune, India
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 05:31
AsadAbu wrote:
Thanks for your kind response.
I'm lost in understanding argument 1 and 2. There is no huge differences between argument 1 and argument 2-In argument 2, just the writing has been separated by 2 paragraphs. So, how do someone convinced that this 2nd paragraph is written by "author" in argument 2?
Thanks__



Normally, no part of the argument is attributed to anyone else. It is just what the author writes. But sometimes, some statements are attributed to others. Until and unless, a statement has specifically someone's name ahead of it, it belongs to the author.

For example, Argument:

Theatregoer: .....
..........................
(Everything said in this paragraph belongs to the Theatregoer)

Movie Critic: .....
.........................
(Everything said in this paragraph belongs to the Movie Critic)

But neither one of them has considered the possibility that ... (not attributed to anyone. This is written by the author)

When you change the paragraph, you show that a new thought is being presented.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2019, 05:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie thea

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne