GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17
Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Sep 2018, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:35) correct 54% (01:48) wrong based on 448 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

THIS IS A JUSTIFY QUESTION. IT WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE GMAT

Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness, for without trust there can be no meaningful emotional connection to another human being, and without meaningful emotional connections to others we feel isolated.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion of the therapist’s argument to be properly inferred?

(A) No one who is feeling isolated can feel happy.
(B) Anyone who has a meaningful emotional connection to another human being can be happy.
(C) To avoid feeling isolated, it is essential to trust other people.
(D) At least some people who do not feel isolated are happy.
(E) Anyone who is able to trust other people has a meaningful emotional connection to at least one other human being.

Source: LSAT

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here

Originally posted by PrashantPonde on 26 Feb 2013, 10:27.
Last edited by nightblade354 on 23 Sep 2018, 07:25, edited 5 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:52
PraPon wrote:
<Tests the relationships between conditions>

Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to
happiness, for without trust there can be no
meaningful emotional connection to another
human being, and without meaningful emotional
connections to others we feel isolated.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion of the therapist’s argument to be properly inferred?
(B) Anyone who has a meaningful emotional connection to another human being can be happy.
(E) Anyone who is able to trust other people has a meaningful emotional connection to at least one other human being.

Scroll down for OE

This question is grounded in deductive logic.

Premises:
'No trust' means 'No emotional conn'
'No emotional conn' means 'Feeling isolated'

Conclusion:
'Trust' is necessary for 'happiness'

The point here is that we are concluding about trust and happiness but in the premises the link between 'feeling isolated' and 'happiness' is missing. It is a necessary missing premise i.e. an assumption. So we need an option which say 'Feeling isolated' means 'Not happy'. That's when the logic is complete.
Look at the premises now:

Premises:
'Feeling isolated' means 'Not happy'

Conclusion:

Now it all makes sense, doesn't it? Hence (A) will be your answer.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:29

Trust -> Happiness
no Trust->no emotional connection with another human being->isolated

Happiness and Isolation are in different relationship chains. The author has not established the link in the premise.
Happiness and emotional connection are in different relationship chains. The author has not established the link in the premise.
True. In the second relationship chain, if we want to avoid isolation, we have to start from trust.
May be or may not be. we cannot be sure. The link is not between isolation and happiness
we have been provided no trust = no emotional connection, it does not mean trust = emotional connection.
no sugar = no good cake
sugar = good cake ?? (what if you added salt instead of baking powder,

Answer should be C.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:34
ConnectTheDots wrote:

Trust -> Happiness
no Trust->no emotional connection with another human being->isolated

Happiness and Isolation are in different relationship chains. The author has not established the link in the premise.
Happiness and emotional connection are in different relationship chains. The author has not established the link in the premise.
True. In the second relationship chain, if we want to avoid isolation, we have to start from trust.
May be or may not be. we cannot be sure. The link is not between isolation and happiness
we have been provided no trust = no emotional connection, it does not mean trust = emotional connection.
no sugar = no good cake
sugar = good cake ?? (what if you added salt instead of baking powder,

Answer should be C.

C is a classic trap answer for formal logic (conditional relationship type questions). The statement in C is indeed true and nothing wrong in it. however (C) doesn't bridge the gap and doesn't help to resolve the question - Find the assumption.

Give it another try!

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 14:29
Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness,

something (trust) is essential for something else (happiness)

for without trust there can be no meaningful emotional connection to another human being,

No trust ---> no connection with something else

and without meaningful emotional connections to others we feel isolated.

No connection -----> isolation is the result.

This is the logic chain -----> so the key point that bridge al the elemnts is the TRUST

E must be the answer

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 15:44
carcass wrote:

for without trust there can be no meaningful emotional connection to another human being,

This is the logic chain -----> so the key point that bridge al the elemnts is the TRUST

E must be the answer

Both C & E are not the right answers.

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:04
carcass wrote:
PraPon wrote:
carcass wrote:

E must be the answer

Both C & E are not the right answers.

Wow good news :lol: :-D

B.

Unfortunately, even B is not the answer :)

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 20:11
When a question has a strong Formal Logic component, expect a wrong answer to reverse or inverse the logic.

Analyze: The therapist starts off with a claim: Trust is essential to happiness. Using formal logic, this translates to: If you have happiness, then you must have trust. Or, by the contrapositive: If you don’t have trust, then you can’t be happy. The evidence to back this up is a string of formal logic: If you don’t have trust, then you have no meaningful emotional connection; and if you have no meaningful emotional connection, then you feel isolated. This is all good, but the formal logic in the evidence starts with a lack of trust and ends at feeling isolated. The conclusion, on the other hand, says that a lack of trust leads to no happiness. The therapist never makes the connection from isolation to unhappiness. That’s the assumption, as stated in (A).

(A) As stated above

(B) Extreme. The therapist claims that a lack of trust leads to no emotional connection. It can be validly claimed that the therapist also assumes that anyone who has no emotional connections will be unhappy. However, that does not mean that anyone who does have emotional connections will be happy. That inverts the formal logic and doesn’t help connect the evidence to the conclusion.

(C) Irrelevant Comparison. This is per fectly accurate based on the evidence. In fact, it’s the contrapositive of the evidence. However, it fails to connect that evidence to the concept of happiness in the conclusion, so it doesn’t work as an assumption. Remember that an assumption is an unstated piece of information that connects the evidence to the conclusion. This answer restates the evidence in other words—a classic LSAT trap.

(D) Outside the Scope. The assumption is about people who do feel isolated. Adding information about people do don’t feel isolated is irrelevant to the argument.

(E) Irrelevant Comparison. This answer reverses the formal logic in the evidence, but it still doesn’t connect the evidence to the concept of happiness in the conclusion.

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 05:07
Well I have some thoughts to share, if I can:

- according to my info the best question numbers to study are generally from 1 to 16 in any given LSAT test. I have an huge data-base of LSAT question (both Cr and RC) and I didn't find it. This necessarily doesn't mean that the question doesn't come from this range.

- I'm quite sure of my shape in verbal part of the test, after all pick almost the questions right under time condition both the OG and the question pack 1.

- I have revisited ALL the assumption questions in OG 11/12/13 and verbal review and I do not see a question similar to this (maybe I'm wrong, is a possibility).

- the fact that I picked it wrong does not mean that this is not a good question from where to learn something useful. Moreover,: is not a good question because I got it wrong. NOPE.

One one hand is good to enforce your logic muscle, one the other hand I'm not completely sure to spend time with such question IF during the exam the probability to encouter it is something like 0.1 %.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 08:37
carcass wrote:

- according to my info the best question numbers to study are generally from 1 to 16 in any given LSAT test. I have an huge data-base of LSAT question (both Cr and RC) and I didn't find it. This necessarily doesn't mean that the question doesn't come from this range.

- I'm quite sure of my shape in verbal part of the test, after all pick almost the questions right under time condition both the OG and the question pack 1.

- I have revisited ALL the assumption questions in OG 11/12/13 and verbal review and I do not see a question similar to this (maybe I'm wrong, is a possibility).

- the fact that I picked it wrong does not mean that this is not a good question from where to learn something useful. Moreover,: is not a good question because I got it wrong. NOPE.

One one hand is good to enforce your logic muscle, one the other hand I'm not completely sure to spend time with such question IF during the exam the probability to encounter it is something like 0.1 %.

regards

I agree. Chances of seeing such complex formal logic questions in GMAT can be too slim (unless you are doing way too well during the exam). Just treat them as a good practice. GMAT may have very few questions involving sufficient-necessary conditions, but not as complex and tangled as LSAT formal logic questions.

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:02
on a second thought, I definitely screwed. The question was ASSUMPTION and I was deducing conclusion.
A makes sense.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

P

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:23
carcass wrote:

One one hand is good to enforce your logic muscle, one the other hand I'm not completely sure to spend time with such question IF during the exam the probability to encouter it is something like 0.1 %.

regards

Actually, I think that this particular thought process might be new to you - that is why you feel its complicated. You can choose to ignore it but it isn't very hard when you get down to it.

Here, check out this OG question and my solution based on the same concept. It is a very useful methodology which is based on something like this:

Premises:
A implies B
B implies C

Conclusion:
A implies D

Now, there is a missing link here: C implies D. That is the assumption (a necessary missing premise). We explicitly discuss deductive logic in our course to give you a clear picture.

a-recent-report-determined-that-although-only-three-percent-97089.html#p823336

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 20:54
PrashantPonde wrote:

Scroll down for OE

my map for this question:
no isolated -> yes MC -> yes trust -> yes happiness

assumption -> no one who is isolated is happy. read A and selected it right away without reading the other answer choices.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 18:20
GMATNinja generis VeritasKarishma nightblade354 AshutoshB harishgmat GmatDaddy

This is a pure gem of a question to discuss much advocated negation technique and bridging the gap
Please help me with performing PoE correctly :

Quote:

Start with a question stem to know what are you looking for?
This is an assumption question.

Quote:
meaningful emotional connection (ec) to another

On a quick glance, I first took all as facts, then I understood I need to have a conclusion in the argument since this is an assumption question.
On a closer read, I substituted for with because and hence the main conclusion becomes:
trust = happiness

Furthermore, premises are
trust = ec
ec = isolation

A: trust
B: EC
C: isolation
D: happiness

Premises mentions A -> B, B ->C , the conclusion is about A -> D and D is nowhere in premises.

Quote:

Cool, I linked A with D and that's my answer by bridging the gap.

Now, the tough part: to eliminate other answers with similar confidence.
Unfortunately, I could cross out only (C) since the intention is never under the scope
of argument.
Quote:

I will honestly admit having resorted to negation technique (it is so tempting to perform
negation, when we see quantitative words) but could not get through.
In statements with quantitative terms, we negate numerical terms instead of main verb.
Here is how I negated:

Quote:

Someone who has a meaningful emotional connection to another human being can be happy

Quote:
D) At least some people who do not feel isolated are happy.

No one who is isolated is happy

Quote:

No one who is able to trust other people has a meaningful emotional connection to at least one other human being.

I could not decide why B, D or E could not break the conclusion

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 00:00
Since I answered the question correctly, here is my approach

The main topic revolves around HAPPINESS (trust, emotional connection, isolation are like trigger / cause / effect words)

Figuratively the pattern of text is following:

Without X, y wouldn’t happen and without y it is impossible to be Z, and without Z we are isolated.

So trust / or no trust, is the main trigger that in the end makes people feeling happy or not and hence isolated or / not

(A) No one who is feeling isolated can feel happy. ( I kept it straight away)

(B) Anyone who has a meaningful emotional connection to another human being can be happy. (eliminated straight away – one cant be sure of word “anyone” )

(C) To avoid feeling isolated, it is essential to trust other people. (this one I kept)

(D) At least some people who do not feel isolated are happy. (Eliminated straight away - one can`t be sure of wordinf " at least some people” )

(E) (Anyone who is able to trust other people has a meaningful emotional connection to at least one other human being. (Eliminated straight away - – one cant be sure of word “anyone” )

Now, when I am left with A and C, I asked myself a question what is the main topic of the text. yes, HAPPINNESS 

C makes emphasis on “feeling isolated” i.e. TO FEEL ISOLATED, bla, bla . And we concerned about “happiness”

A makes emphasis on “feeling happy” i.e. No one who is feeling isolated CAN FEEL HAPPY

Hence, A :) :grin:
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 07:26
adkikani,

This is a justify question. This question form will not appear on test. With justify questions, you do not negate the answer choices. But you do negate for assumption. This difference is critical for you to understand.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

P

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:55
VeritasKarishma wrote:
PraPon wrote:

Scroll down for OE

This question is grounded in deductive logic.

Premises:

Conclusion:

The point here is that we are concluding about trust and happiness but in the premises the link between 'feeling isolated' and 'happiness' is missing. It is a necessary missing premise i.e. an assumption. So we need an option which say 'Feeling isolated' means 'Not happy'. That's when the logic is complete.
Look at the premises now:

Premises:
'Feeling isolated' means 'Not happy'

Conclusion:

Now it all makes sense, doesn't it? Hence (A) will be your answer.

Eliminating options:

We know what happens when there is no emotional connection (you feel isolated). But what happens when there is an emotional connection? We can't say. This is beyond the scope of our argument. Our argument does not discuss the case of "has emotional conn".

No connection to happiness - that aspect of the conclusion is missing.

This is beyond the scope of the argument. We are assuming that if you feel isolated, you are not happy. What happens if you "do not feel isolated", we cannot say. The argument does not talk about it.

Again, the argument talks about what happens when you do not trust (there is no emotional conn). We do not know what happens when you do trust. Is there an emotional conn? We don't know.

Karishma

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 23:55

Therapist: The ability to trust other people is essential to happiness

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap