GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Oct 2017, 15:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:10) correct 63% (01:22) wrong based on 1615 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

(A) generated through wind power now than it was

(B) generated through wind power now as it was

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case.

Originally posted by tennis1ball on 28 Nov 2006, 23:20.
Last edited by hazelnut on 12 Oct 2017, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jul 2015, 04:09
The real comparison is between the energy produced now and the energy produced in 1990. The expression - ten times as much energy as -is the term used to describe the quantum of energy.

A) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was
B) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it was
C) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was the case
D) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power as it was
E) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power than was the case

You may see that A and E, use a wrong idiom namely 'as much energy than' and hence can be safely dropped. Among BCD, B and D lose steam because of using the pronoun"it' without a clear referent.

C is therefore the right royal choice.

PS: This post has been edited by me reflecting the points noted by another poster.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 13 Oct 2010, 23:21.
Last edited by daagh on 18 Jul 2015, 04:09, edited 3 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 13:03
noboru wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
quit123 wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

idiom: as much ..as
D,E --out

it --> ambiguous..
it can refer to energy/wind power ..
A,B --out

C is perfect and parallel.

ten times as much "energy is generated...." now than as was the case<energy generated .. through wind pwoer.> in 1990

Why do u say that "it" is ambiguous? For me is clearly referring to energy.

A tip regarding comparisons!

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, using "it" would mean that you are comparing some amount of energy to itself. But we want to compare one amount of energy to another.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2006, 23:32
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A.) generated through wind power now than it was

B). generated through wind power now as it was

C). generated through wind power now as was the case

D). now generated through wind power as it was

E). now generated through wind power than was the case.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2006, 23:41
Obviously between B and D....
I think there is no suprise to you :)

I choose D...

Clearly expresses the meaning of a sentence. 10 times as much energy is now generated through wind power as it was generated some time ago....

The other option B, has a different meaning.... 10 times as much energy generated through wind power....meaning the use of wind power has not necessarily increased....

A very good SC....
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2007, 05:21
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

My Answer : E
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2007, 06:31
For the comparison, "than' has to be there. So, only A and E remain.
I feel A should be the ans.
The change of placement of 'now' changes in the meaning in E - emphasis seems to shift from comparison between period to the source of energy.
Though 'it' needs to be watched carefully, it seems to be correctly referring in A.
What is the OA?
Vict0R wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

My Answer : E
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 20:59
quit123 wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

D,E --out

it --> ambiguous..
A,B --out

ten times as much "energy is generated...." now than as was the case<energy generated .. through wind pwoer.> in 1990

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:36
x2suresh wrote:
quit123 wrote:

D,E --out

it --> ambiguous..
A,B --out

Why do u say that "it" is ambiguous? For me is clearly referring to energy.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 05:44
@SaraiGMAXonline

your logic of not using 'it' for comparision when compare one thing to another does not fits here.

Can you please throw some flashlight here ?

404. In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.

(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 06:12
jn.mohit wrote:
@SaraiGMAXonline

your logic of not using 'it' for comparision when compare one thing to another does not fits here.

404. In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in

C is right 'it' is ok as referring to the old copy which was in a different state in the past. Twice is better than two times. Also I feel 'as fast as' is a repetition of rate of increase according to logic.
eg- My tummy has grown bigger to what it was a decade ago. (single objects)
eg- My tummy has grown bigger than that of my neighbor's. (two diff objects)

On the older (the one posted on the top) question, I believe x2suresh makes more sense. 'SaraiGMAXonline' logic is of no use there.
eg- I love the cake as it is brown in color. (right)
eg- I love the topping on the cake as it is brown in color. (wrong: Pronoun ambiguity)

Please comment.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:21
yogeshagarwala wrote:
jn.mohit wrote:
@SaraiGMAXonline

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in

C is right 'it' is ok as referring to the old copy which was in a different state in the past. Twice is better than two times. Also I feel 'as fast as' is a repetition of rate of increase according to logic.
eg- My tummy has grown bigger to what it was a decade ago. (single objects)
eg- My tummy has grown bigger than that of my neighbor's. (two diff objects)

On the older (the one posted on the top) question, I believe x2suresh makes more sense. 'SaraiGMAXonline' logic is of no use there.
eg- I love the cake as it is brown in color. (right)
eg- I love the topping on the cake as it is brown in color. (wrong: Pronoun ambiguity)

Please comment.

Let me see if I can clarify. In the problem above, the rate is indeed compared to itself, and thus, "it" is appropriate. Also, you are right yogeshagarwala, "two times" is never correct on the SC.

As for the "I love cake..." example, that sentence is not a comparison, so the correctness of "it" is a matter of ambiguity, a matter completely separate from the issue of "it" versus "that" in comparisons.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 02:14
Please comment on the use of 'it'. I believe its an issue with pronoun ambiguity for B and D.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 03:25
yogeshagarwala wrote:
Please comment on the use of 'it'. I believe its an issue with pronoun ambiguity for B and D.

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, using "it" would mean that you are comparing some amount of energy to itself. But we want to compare one amount of energy to another.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 08:02
The correct idiom is "as X as Y"
that leaves B, C & D

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was - 'it' can refer to 'wind power' or 'energy'
D. now generated through wind power as it was - 'it' can refer to 'wind power' or 'energy'
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 06:53
I think the idiom is As much X as Y
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:46
1.'More than ten times' is just an expression of quantity and not a comparator. The comparator is actually the positive degree ‘as much’. Now when the un-underlined portion contains ‘as much’ for the comparison, then you must idiomatically complete the comparison with another ‘as’. This means, we have to stay put with choices B, C and D, dropping A and E.

2.We must not misconstrue that the pronoun ‘it’ stands for just energy, The pronoun stands for the entire antecedent that goes to describe the energy namely ‘more than ten times as much energy’; Therefore the use of the pronoun ‘it’ doesn’t make much structural sense. We have to drop choices B and D on that count. We must admit C as the most fitting, though a bit unusual to the ears.

Incidentally a colon is no more than a kind of parenthesis. The things that follow the colon must represent the idea that is expressed prior to the colon, in this case ‘hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels;

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2011, 04:51
I remember this question in the past when I faced it in the SC1000. I chose this one because choice B and D, "it" refer to no antecedent. After that, I also found in manhattan forum that contain this problem. Here is the topic discussing about this problem and Ron Purewal's explanation:

Quote:
i could've sworn this problem was in another thread, but the search box won't find it.

there are two splits you should use to narrow down this problem:

(1) the second half of the construction 'ten times as much ... ____' is as, not than. therefore, you can eliminate answers (a) and (e), which contain 'than'. (i'm assuming that (e) is supposed to say 'than', not 'then'; i don't think the gmat problems would that blatant an error)

(2) the pronoun 'it' is inappropriate, because 'it' must refer to the ENTIRETY of the noun phrase serving as an antecedent.
for instance, the following is an improper sentence: last year's attendance was ten thousand greater than it was this year
in the above sentence, the pronoun 'it' must necessarily refer to last year's attendance, not just attendance.
the problem in this post has the same issue: the pronoun 'it' must refer to more than ten times as much energy, not just energy - an interpretation that makes no logical sense. therefore, all answer choices containing the pronoun 'it' are wrong.

if you don't like '...than was the case', you should learn to like it; this is one of those phrases that the gmat writers use to refer to concepts that don't fit under the usage constraints of traditional pronouns. (another popular one of these constructions is 'do so'.)

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t3322.html

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 06:27
tennis_ball wrote:

Quote:
A.) generated through wind power now than it was

Wrong use of the idiom "as much as".
Quote:
B). generated through wind power now as it was

Wrong, because the "as" is followed by a subject pronoun "it". Putting a noun after "as" is confusing by suggesting functional comparison or by turning the "as" into the subordinating conjuntor; here with the possible meaning of "because". For more about that aspect of using "as" see: Manhattan SC, p. 144.
Quote:
C). generated through wind power now as was the case

Correct, because the verb "was" after the "as" eliminates the confusion described under B). Correct idiom form is used too. One may suspect wordiness here, but the sentence is very clear, isn't it? I seldom go for patterns in 700+ problems.
Quote:
D). now generated through wind power as it was

Wrong for the same reason as B).
Quote:
E). now generated through wind power than was the case.

Incorrect use of the idiom "as much as".

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 21:53
Fistail wrote:

Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

as much X as Y -> We require "as"

-Confused as to why B is wrong

- Looks good.

- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 21:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap