GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1007
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Comparison type question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2012, 22:09
10
5
VandyonWheels wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

(A) generated through wind power now than it was

(B) generated through wind power now as it was

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case

I chose E,but the answer is C according to GMAT pill(GMAT Practice Test Set # 14 (Question 40-42)).I chose E as there was no misleading it and the comparison was clear.Can somebody explain why C is the answer and not E?


The correct idiom is "as much as". So A and E can be eliminated at the first instance.
Having our eyes on BCD, we eliminate B and D in that there is no clear referent for it. If you are think that "it" refers to "energy" , then try doing so.
B) generated through windpower now as "energy" was in 1990
D) now generated through windpower as "energy" was in 1990.

+1 C
Hope that helps.
-s
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 72
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2012, 00:41
1
(A) generated through wind power now than it was it refers to wind energy + correct idiom is As much as

(B) generated through wind power now as it was --- it refers to wind energy

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was it refers to wind energy

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case correct idiom is As much as

one tip here:
AS is the case, As was the case - refers to a situation and is correct usage
As with the case - sure shot wrong option
_________________
if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:04
3
1
targetgmatchotu wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A....
B. generated through wind power now as it was
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case


source: brutal SC's


A few things are quite clear here : Two comparators "more than" and "as much as" and both should be complete. It is clear "more ..than" is complete in non-underline part, so part of "as" of "as much" is what we are looking for. So option A & E is out.

Out of B C D, pronoun it is referring to noun "energy" while what we are interested is in "amount of energy" so B And D out too. We are left with C and the OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 150
Location: Poland
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 07:27
7
3
tennis_ball wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.


Quote:
A.) generated through wind power now than it was

Wrong use of the idiom "as much as".
Quote:
B). generated through wind power now as it was

Wrong, because the "as" is followed by a subject pronoun "it". Putting a noun after "as" is confusing by suggesting functional comparison or by turning the "as" into the subordinating conjuntor; here with the possible meaning of "because". For more about that aspect of using "as" see: Manhattan SC, p. 144.
Quote:
C). generated through wind power now as was the case

Correct, because the verb "was" after the "as" eliminates the confusion described under B). Correct idiom form is used too. One may suspect wordiness here, but the sentence is very clear, isn't it? I seldom go for patterns in 700+ problems.
Quote:
D). now generated through wind power as it was

Wrong for the same reason as B).
Quote:
E). now generated through wind power than was the case.

Incorrect use of the idiom "as much as".
_________________
If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 131
Location: India
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Re: SC: Comparison  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2014, 07:10
1
Let us replace "more than ten times" with eleven times.

The sentence fragment now reads: Eleven times as much energy is generated through wind power now ...

"As much energy" needs "as" to complete it, as otherwise one is not sure how much energy was actually generated. So A and E are out.

Now notice that B and D differ only in the placement of "now". Although ideally the adverb should follow the verb, the rules are not strict. So you could eliminate both B and D, as the GMAT cannot have two correct answers.
B would be preferred as its construction is parallel with the last part of the sentence.

But, B and D have another issue. Both use the ambiguous "it".
One way to disambiguate this construction would be to reorganise the sentence:
Eleven times as much energy (as was generated in 1990 through wind power) is generated through wind power now.
"It" cannot be used to refer to the entire expression in parentheses.

So the answer must be C.



--Prasad
EnterMBA.in
_________________
--Prasad
EnterMBA
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 835
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 22:53
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.
_________________
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2867
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 13:02
5
5
kinjiGC wrote:
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So basically why "as it was..." is incorrect in the context of this sentence. It is so because "it" refers to "more than ten times as much energy". It is so because in such constructions, the modifiers related to a referent noun CANNOT be left alone. So in Choices B and D. This obviously does not make sense as this reference leads to illogical comparison.

However, Choice C, this is not the case because "as was the case" refers to generation of energy in 1990.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 835
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 22:44
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So basically why "as it was..." is incorrect in the context of this sentence. It is so because "it" refers to "more than ten times as much energy". It is so because in such constructions, the modifiers related to a referent noun CANNOT be left alone. So in Choices B and D. This obviously does not make sense as this reference leads to illogical comparison.

However, Choice C, this is not the case because "as was the case" refers to generation of energy in 1990.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ


Just to summarize the understanding, "it" should refer to the "complete" subject along with the modifier.

Can I use "that"? Can you please clarify the difference.
_________________
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2867
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 13:21
kinjiGC wrote:
Just to summarize the understanding, "it" should refer to the "complete" subject along with the modifier.

Can I use "that"? Can you please clarify the difference.


Hi kinjiGC,

Any pronoun used to refer to a noun will include the associated modifier with it. It just cannot pick up the "noun" and leave alone the modifier. This is applicable for the use of "that" as well.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 00:14
Why B is wrong and C is right? Can anyone please explain with details?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 12:00
2
1
sriamlan wrote:
Why B is wrong and C is right? Can anyone please explain with details?


I do not see a problem with B. Probably other experts could provide their opinions. To me the parallelism seems OK in B:

...more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it was (generated though wind power) in 1990.

The blue and pink highlighted portions seem to me parallel; moreover it is allowed to omit repeated (even verbs) from the second parallel element.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 801
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 12:59
Experts please enlighten us.

I was confused between 'B' and 'D'. Finally chose 'B', which is not the answer :P
_________________
I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 269
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 09:37
1
2
Divyadisha wrote:
Experts please enlighten us.

I was confused between 'B' and 'D'. Finally chose 'B', which is not the answer :P


Hi,

Below was the explanation by Ron:

there are two splits you should use to narrow down this problem:

(1) the second half of the construction 'ten times as much ... ____' is as, not than. therefore, you can eliminate answers (a) and (e), which contain 'than'. (i'm assuming that (e) is supposed to say 'than', not 'then'; i don't think the gmat problems would that blatant an error)

(2) the pronoun 'it' is inappropriate, because 'it' must refer to the ENTIRETY of the noun phrase serving as an antecedent.
for instance, the following is an improper sentence: last year's attendance was ten thousand greater than it was this year
in the above sentence, the pronoun 'it' must necessarily refer to last year's attendance, not just attendance.
the problem in this post has the same issue: the pronoun 'it' must refer to more than ten times as much energy, not just energy - an interpretation that makes no logical sense. therefore, all answer choices containing the pronoun 'it' are wrong.

if you don't like '...than was the case', you should learn to like it; this is one of those phrases that the gmat writers use to refer to concepts that don't fit under the usage constraints of traditional pronouns. (another popular one of these constructions is 'do so'.)

Note:when a pronoun stands for a noun to which ESSENTIAL MODIFIERS (i.e., modifiers without commas) are attached, the pronoun must STAND FOR THE NOUN PLUS ALL ESSENTIAL MODIFIERS attached to the noun.
_________________
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 386
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 06:27
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

There are two things that one can look into while solving this question.

1. as much as -> Correct idiom

2. Subject of the clause after the comma -> more than ten times as much energy
So it will refer to the whole subject, hence usage of it is incorrect

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case -> Correct
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

Also if you assign a antecedent to a pronoun then you should be able to replace that pronoun by the noun. The sentence should make sense.

Let's try it..
more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as energy was generated in 1990...
Does this make sense - NO It does not make sense...
If only we remove the energy the sentence makes complete sense.
But we don't have that option.
The next best option is C.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 02:52
hi egmat


Can you explain why it is referring to 10 times the energy ?? Can we use that in place of it .

Please give some additional example on the same .

Thanks
Neha
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 08:38
1
NehaManpreet1625 wrote:
hi egmat


Can you explain why it is referring to 10 times the energy ?? Can we use that in place of it .

Please give some additional example on the same .

Thanks
Neha


"It" does not refer to "ten times the energy" - a pronoun cannot refer to a group of words such as this one - a pronoun has to refer to a noun (or a noun phrase).

The point is that the pronoun "it" does not have any antecedent (nouns such "energy" or "wind power" are not suitable antecedents for the pronoun in this sentence). The proper antecedent of "it" could be the word "case", but this word is not there in the sentence. Hence all options that have "it" are wrong.

To answer your second question:
No, "that" is equally wrong - "that" as a demonstrative pronoun must have a noun to follow or as a relative pronoun must have a noun to refer to:

That pen is mine (demonstrative - the noun "pen" follows)
The car you have is bigger than that I have (relative - referring to "car").

However the following sentence is wrong:
There were many exciting games in the party: that was great.
(wrong - "that" cannot refer to the whole fact that "There were many exciting games in the party")
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2018
Posts: 47
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 01:58
A and E are quite unidiomatic, with the phrase ‘as much energy than’. B and D don’t have a clear referent for ‘it’.

C is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 04:46
B and D don’t have a clear referent for ‘it’. A and E don’t use the correct idiom form.

So, C is the right answer.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Chief Curriculum and Content Architect
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 24 Nov 2014
Posts: 618
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 13:36
tennis1ball wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.


(A) generated through wind power now than it was

(B) generated through wind power now as it was

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case.

There are two key moves that we can make to answer this one correctly.

One is to see that "more than ten times" in the non-underlined portion can be shortened to "ten times." By eliminating the confusing "more than," we can see that what we are dealing with is "ten times as much." Clearly, "ten times as much" has to go with "as," to create "ten times as much ... as," rather than with "than," to create "ten times as much ... than." So, we can eliminate (A) and (E).

Now, we are down to (B), (C), and (D), and we need our second key move.

We can tell that the use of the pronoun "it" does not make sense. However, "as was the case" seems a bit off too. So, our second key move is to realize that SC question writers often put in the correct answers wording that pushes the boundaries of what's acceptable and logical. In this case, the use of "it" is clearly illogical, while the use of "as was the case" is pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable and logical.

So, we go with the barely acceptable "as was the case," and choose (C), the correct answer.
_________________

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2019, 13:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne