Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 12:45 It is currently 13 May 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [22]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [2]
Send PM
Re: There is a dangerous tendency in superficial analyses of Virgil’s Aene [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkashM wrote:
This was a tough one.

Eliminate A, D and E because the author is opposed to the idea that Aeneid is a political propaganda.
Eliminate B because the author never mentions that the ambiguities make interpretation so difficult.

C remains and is the correct answer. In the final sentence the author implies that a careful reader will not misinterpret Aeneid as a propaganda for Augustus's principate.

In questions 2 and 3 instead of following POE, i.e find the four incorrect answers, I tried to look for the one that made the most sense. Luckily, I could find only one in each question. But I skeptical that this would work in the exam, but then again I am not sure if such a hard passage would come. Sajjad1994, any thoughts?

2. D is the answer because this statement comments on Juno and nowhere in the passage is Juno even mentioned.

3. B is the answer because by saying that 'In glossing over this evidence, many readers unfairly dismiss the Aeneid as political propaganda dressed up as artful poetry.', the author clearly implies that a careful read would not result in such misconception.

This is, admittedly, a very hard passage, the difficulty level should be the following in my opinion.

Question #1: 700
Question #2: 750
Question #3: 700

Overall: 700-750

I can assume a student might come across a passage like this if he or she is a v40-42 caliber aspirant in the verbal section of the GMAT.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: There is a dangerous tendency in superficial analyses of Virgil’s Aene [#permalink]
Sajjad1994, can you please explain question 2?
Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33653 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JyotiChauhan wrote:
Sajjad1994, can you please explain question 2?
Thanks

This is, admittedly, a difficult passage with some complicated ideas, and the second question posted above is VERY challenging. I think there's a straightforward way to get the Main Idea out of this passage, or any similarly complex one, and then be able to approach 2 of the 3 questions here with confidence. Here's how:

First, try to get as much as you can about the topic from the opening of the passage. The first sentence here is VERY confusing, so just focus on the topic. What is the author concerned ABOUT, never mind his thoughts? "There is a dangerous tendency...to accuse Virgil of...propaganda." So, right away, we know the author is concerned with Virgil and whether or not he's a propagandist. The author thinks he isn't, but many other people think he is: a classic rebutting-the-argument passage. We should expect both sides to be presented, and the author to pick one. How does the author set this up?

The author will convey his structure with keywords. "One must admit..." means we're getting the opposing side. So here we get details about why Virgil might, in fact, be a propagandist. Fine. We don't care so much about what details there are: we just want to know when the author shifts gears. And it comes ... with a big "However," of course, the first word of the second paragraph. We're now told that Aeneas is "problematized" and therefore it's not actually propaganda. Even knowing nothing about literary theory or Roman literature or politics, we now have a basic outline of the passage:

1. Some think that Virgil, in writing the Aeneid, is writing propaganda for Augustus, but...
2. The author thinks that, in fact, there are problems with Aeneas, so it's not propaganda.

From this, the correct answers to both #1 and #3 above become much, much, clearer. It's not a full enough reading to answer any and all questions right without more deeply reading into the passage ... but, for those of us who would get totally lost and confused on this, this way of getting the main idea can quickly give you some right answers without too much of a time investment, raising your score and confidence alike.

So, when presented with a challenging passage that you can't understand:

1) Figure out what the author is talking ABOUT before you worry about what the author is saying about this topic.
2) PREDICT how the author might structure his or her argument and look for KEYWORDS to confirm or deny this prediction.
3) Use the STRUCTURE to help paraphrase the main idea, and try to read this main idea into any odd Inference questions you come across.
Hope this helps!

For question number 2, I have literally no idea what's going on in the question I have found nothing about option D in the passage but this is not the logic to select the answer. This is too hard and I think it better to ignore this question.

This is an old passage and I can surely say that it belongs to the 2008-09 edition of the Kaplan GMAT.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: There is a dangerous tendency in superficial analyses of Virgils Aene [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There is a dangerous tendency in superficial analyses of Virgils Aene [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14022 posts