GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2011, 08:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:12) correct 46% (02:05) wrong based on 114 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight of the automobile industry are merely using that allegation as a smokescreen for their own partisan politics. The citizen who believes their charges fails to realize that a politician may sometimes appear to be lacking compassion for a special interest group when, in reality, she is just trying to implement a public policy that is beneficial to great numbers of people representing diverse interests.

Which of the following, if true, provides the greatest support for the assertion made in the first sentence of the passage?

A) Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between insensitivity to special interest groups and public-spirited devotion to broader concerns

B) Some of the governor's harshest critics are members of automobile workers' unions and politicians with strong ties to the automotive industry.

C) Many people who accuse the governor of being unsympathetic to the plight of the automobile industry voted for her in the last election.

D) The governor is not a politician who makes a clear distinction between partisan politics and civic responsibility.

E) Sometimes a politician who is insensitive to the concerns of a minority group believes that he or she is acting in the community's best interest.

Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight of the automobile industry are merely using that allegation as a smokescreen for their own partisan politics.The citizen who believes their charges fails to realize that a politician may sometimes appear to be lacking compassion for a special interest group when, in reality, she is just trying to implement a public policy that is beneficial to great numbers of people representing diverse interests.

Which of the foll ,if true,provides the greatest support for the assertion?

a) Sometimes,it is difficult to distinguish between insensitivity to special interest grps & public spirited devotion to broader concerns.

b)some of the governor's harshest critics are members of the automobile workers' unions and & politics with strong ties in the automotive industry.

c) Sometimes a politician who is insensitive to the concerns of a minority grp believes that he/she is acting in the community's best interests.

answers ?

source : kaplan GMAT CAT 1

By the way,I feel that 'to great numbers of people representing diverse interests' is wrong.Isn't 'numbers of' wrong on GMAT?

Thanks.

regards,
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Re: Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 04:06
Between A and C, C disguises automobile group as a minority group.Also, the argument talks about a citizen and his/her opinion rather than a politician and his deeds.

A prevails.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)
Re: Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2012, 15:02
OA is B though. The assertion was that "Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight of the automobile industry are merely using that allegation as a smokescreen for their own partisan politics". So basically the people condemning the governor are only doing so because of their own politics. The second sentence has nothing to do with the assertion.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 05:44
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja nightblade354 could you please explain how to chose b/w b and c?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 06:49
Hello Aviral1995,

My 2 cents: As mentioned in the question we just need to focus on the first sentence of the question stimulus. And the first sentence asserts that detractors are leveling allegations on the politician for being unsympathetic since they have vested interests. It's like a ploy for them. And the question stem asks us to support this reasoning.

Therefore, option B is a better option here because it clarifies why the politician's critiques are behaving that way. Because they belong to an interest group - members of the auto industry.
Whereas, option C strays away from why the critics accuse the politicians and instead focuses on who voted for her in the first place, which is not really relevant to the question here.

I hope this helps a little. I have just started learning and so thought of sharing what I could make out of it. :)
Kindly excuse if my explanation has confused you further.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 10:14
E is a reworded version of the second sentence. No new information provided.

B is the winner. All others are irrelevant.

Posted from my mobile device
Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

GMAT 1 - 620 .... Disappointed for 6 months. Im back Im back. Bhai dera tera COMEBACK !!!

My explanation may not be clear to you, but my requirement of Kudo to survive in my struggle against GMAT is. So spread love , spread Kudo, look at my profile. I'm so benevolent
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2019, 10:14

Those who condemn the governor for being unsympathetic to the plight

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics