Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [47]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [8]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6810 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
neelesh wrote:
This question has been posted a few times before but looking for better explanations...

Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

(A) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark

(B) see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors mark

(C) been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of

(D) been able to see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking

(E) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors

Spoiler : A

B out, no discussion
C: have...been seeing.. OUT ALSO
D:out: with...marking
E: out: "marking" should not modify "those"

A is remaining
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will not take the credit for this as I found the explanation on another forum.

A has to be the right answer here.

B: the word 'whose' illogically refers to the 'the canyon'.

C: the word 'whose' illogically refers to the 'the canyon'. Also, the GMAT prefers Verb forms to noun forms. So 'mark' is better than 'are markers of', which is unnecessarily wordy as well. Also, 'have been seeing' distorts the original meaning by suggesting that the action has been going on nonstop.

D: 'been able to see' distorts the meaning by suggesting that the action was intended on part of the visitors. Also, 'colors marking' is not correct as it makes the sentence ambiguous. 'colors that mark' is non-ambiguous; 'that' refers to 'colors'.

E: Here 'marking' is an adverbial modifier. Usually adverbial modifiers modify the entire clause. So this choice is definitely wrong as the word 'marking' should unambiguously refer to (layers of) sediment.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Noboru,
please do not forget to provide OA! :x

OA is A, according to 1000 series.

985. Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

(A) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark- true canyon has different colors
(B) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors mark - read this as "different colors of canyon mark something" - they do not mark , they show something
(C) been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of -unnecessary wordy
(D) been able to see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking- unnecessary wordy
(E) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors - the action of seeing "layers of sediment in the gaping", does not relate to "marking by different colors "
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this.

The first split in the answers is the way the verb is completed. The auxiliary verb "have" can be followed by "seen", "been able", or "been seeing" (although that last is ridiculously wordy). The "see" of (B) is completely wrong.

(C) is absurdly wordy with "have been seeing" --- there's absolutely no reason for the past progressive in this context. (C) is out.

(D) is also unnecessarily wordy. Think about it. Folks who have been to the Grand Canyon have seen the colored layers of sediment. Plain and simple. To say ---- Folks who have been to the Grand Canyon have been able to see the colored layers of sediment. ----- that adds extra words without adding any extra meaning. In GMAT terms, it's unacceptable to lengthen a sentence for no purpose. The only reason to introduce "have been able to" would be if the subject of the sentence itself is about establishing whether folks have the ability to see it at all. If it were in doubt whether anything could be seen, then establishing that folks were able to see something is meaningful. Here, in this context, there's no doubt about one's ability to see the Grand Canyon. It's perhaps the single most photographed natural feature in the USA. Everyone has seen it. There's no reason to raise the question about whether folks are able to see it. (D) is out.

(A) & (E) are close, but the odd passive construction in (E) --- "marking by different colors" --- is weak and indirect. (A) is the best answer, and I believe this is the OA.

Does this make sense? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:
thanks Mike
Just 1 ques - is there a rule of thuimb while decinding between the use of THAT and an -ING form
as stated in option A and D.Many thanks

Ms. Devina Williams,

There's not a rule of thumb. Consider these sentences,

Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking the passage of time like the rings in a tree trunk.

Here, both are grammatically correct and acceptable. There might be some special case where one is right and the other is wrong, but I can't think of an example at the moment. I would say: certainly there's not a hard-and-fast grammar rule distinguishing these two that would, in an of itself, separate a right answer from a wrong answer on GMAT SC.

I would say: one beware of parallel constructions --- you can't have one of the parallel elements be -ing and the other "that". That's a standard GMAT SC snare. Both with the -ing or both with the "that" would be fine.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
can someone please clarify why "mark" is correct in A? I eliminated it because i thought it should be "marking" why means it's still true whereas "mark" is past tense (when in reality it's not past tense)

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
mdacosta wrote:
can someone please clarify why "mark" is correct in A? I eliminated it because i thought it should be "marking" why means it's still true whereas "mark" is past tense (when in reality it's not past tense)

Thanks!

Hi mdacosta,

(A) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors that mark

'mark' is correct in A - plural subject (colors) - plural verb 'mark'

in case of the singluar subject (color) verb will be marks

Past tense of mark is marked.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdacosta "Marking" works fine as a modifier. However, if we use the word "that" to create a modifier, we use the present tense form of the verb: "mark."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
neelesh wrote:

(B) see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors mark

(C) been seeing layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, whose different colors are markers of

(D) been able to see layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, with different colors marking

(E) seen layers of sediment in the gaping canyon, marking by different colors

D should not be the right choice, since it is needlessly wordy and slightly changes the meaning. C’s tense is incorrect. Same problem with E. B is definitely wrong, as it makes the sentence say ‘have typically see’. Very incorrect tense usage.

A is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
In the non-underlined part,“the rings” is noun,
Doesn’t that mean we need another noun to compare, since the passage is using the word “like”, which is a comparison meaning??
so I thought the “markers” would do the job
Can anyone clarify??

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Those who have visited the Grand Canyon have typically seen layers of [#permalink]