Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:35) correct 42% (01:33) wrong based on 397 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 40 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.

A) Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.

B) Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism.

C) Henri Rousseau painted canvases in a naive, dream-like style that has become an icon of Post-Impressionism.

D) Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism.

E) the canvases of Henri Rousseau are icons of Post-Impressionism due to being painted in a naive, dream-like style.

Source: Manhattan Prep

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Senior SC Moderator
V
Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 16:52
generis wrote:

Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.

A) Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive.
Past participle considered modifies the subject of the next clause, in this case, Rousseau himself.
A person is not considered primitive and ill-formed (unless the person judging is a raving eugenicist, but such nonsense is not what this question means).
Rousseau's paintings were considered primitive and ill-formed.
Finally, "he was naive" has a verb. We use like to compare nouns. We use as to compare actions. Like is incorrect.

B) Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism.

C) Henri Rousseau painted canvases in a naive, dream-like style that has become an icon of Post-Impressionism.

D) Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism.
Compared to B, D's language is passive and weird. See the analysis of (D) under Comments.

E) the canvases of Henri Rousseau are icons of Post-Impressionism due to being painted in a naive, dream-like style.
Passive voice is not as effective as B; "due to being" should be "because they were" or "because of their having been," (too awkward) ; due to means caused by - wrong

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• (A) The sentence begins with a modifier ("though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive") that logically addresses Rousseau's art,
rather than Rousseau himself, as (A) states.

Moreover, the use of "like" in the phrase "painted like he was naive" is incorrect . . .

• (B) CORRECT. Henri Rousseau's canvasses are correctly placed as the subject of the opening modifier.
Additionally, "naive" functions as an adjective describing "style" thereby replacing the incorrect phrase "like he was naive."

• (C) This choice incorrectly places Henri Rousseau (instead of his paintings) as the subject of the opening modifier "though considered aesthetically primitive . . ."
Additionally, the phrase "style that has become an icon of Post-Impressionism" is incorrect. Rousseau, not his style, later became an icon.
Careful. We don't know this fact for sure. True, people become icons much more often than styles do. But that assertion is too strong.

• (D) The phrase "style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism" is both awkward ("iconic of") and incorrect. Rousseau, not his style, later became an icon.
Careful. We do not know whether Rousseau or his style later became an icon. See my Comments below.

• (E) The subject "the canvases of Henri Rousseau are icons of Post-Impressionism " is incorrect. Rousseau, not his style, later became an icon.
One more time, careful. See notes in blue typeface in C and D.
Moreover, this choice incorrectly uses "due to" where "because of" would be needed.
"Due to" functions as an adjectival phrase and is used to modify a noun (e.g., His failure was due to his laziness).
"Because of" functions as an adverbial phrase and is used to modify a verb or verb phrase (e.g., He failed because of his laziness).

COMMENTS

EDIT
• With respect to option D

As smlprkh points out in this post, below,
it is reasonable to say that Rousseau's style was iconic.
To assert otherwise is to assume that we know what the intended meaning is.

I agree that choosing between B and D is a very close call, and that
if you encounter a question on the GMAT in which the difference between the options
is as subtle as I think it is in this instance, you are doing well.

In this post, here, I argue that
-- B is stylistically superior to D.
"Iconic of" is not wrong, but it is odd, in part because the verb was gets in the way.
(B)'s painted in a style that was later iconic of does not have the same force
as (D)'s canvases . . . later established the artist as an icon. The latter has an active voice and no that-clause.
The former has that-clause and a passive voice in which an active one would help.

-- B is logically superior to D
D seems to say that the canvases
(unpainted? probably not, but whether or not they were painted is an issue)
were considered ill-formed and primitive,
but the style in which they were painted WAS LATER iconic of the period in which the canvases were painted and the style was created. The first part of the sentence seems to be about the canvases,
but the second part of the sentence seems to be about the style of the painting.

B is straightforward: Though initially [the canvasses were] considered ugly, [the] canvasses later established the artist as an icon of a period.

B is linear while D can seem nonsensical.
-- In D, the style was the style when the paint dried. The style did not change.
-- If I grant that considered also governs and modifies style (which I do not actually believe),
then I face the confounding situation in which
The style that was then-painted [in the P.I. era] was later iconic of the period [the P.I. era] in which the style was painted?

My full analysis of B and D is in this post, here.

Split #1: A person is not considered primitive and ill-formed.
In Options A and C, Henri Rousseau is incorrectly modified by those adjectives.

Eliminate A and C

Split #2: due to

Option E incorrectly uses due to being.
We can use "caused by" to test "due to."
The canvases . . . are icons . . . caused by being in ABC style. :(
Eliminate E

Split #3: B v. D, already discussed above. (B) is better.

Answer B is correct.

I appreciate the discipline evident in both answers; people who read this thread at any time will understand the analysis
because the errors are explained, and the meaning of the sentence is noted.
dave13 and Prateekj05 , in both cases, I really like the conversational tone used to describe the meaning.

dave13 , a couple of small notes:
1) the paintings made him famous; Rousseau did not make the paintings famous
2) read (D) again. I think your eyes transposed a couple of words. There is no S/V error

Prateekj05 , one note: Option (A) does not establish originally intended meaning.
In this question, the meaning in option A in this case is nonsensical.
Eveyone, please take a look at this post.
It is one of many examples in which veterans with 10+ years' of GMAT experience say that "there is nothing special about option A" [paraphrase of the two people cited].
GMATNinja is HERE.

Ron Purewal is HERE.

I address your comment only because the incorrect idea that (A) determines original meaning is widely taught and thus widespread.
Your comment gave me a chance to clarify. :-)

Thanks to both of you for excellent answers, as usual. Kudos to both.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
General Discussion
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 13:05

So, Henri, whose paintings had been regarded as unattractive, later became so popular, that his artworks turned Henri into an icon of Post-Impressionism.

A) Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive. ( modifier error, ill-formed and primitive were artis`s works and artist)

B) Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism. ( this looks fine fine )

C) Henri Rousseau painted canvases in a naive, dream-like style that has become an icon of Post-Impressionism. ( modifier error as in A)

D) Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism. ( SV agreement error + change of meaning. Henri Rousseau painted, and not his paintings were painted)

E) the canvases of Henri Rousseau are icons of Post-Impressionism due to being painted in a naive, dream-like style. ( this one changes the meaning. cause Henri is an icon, and not his works)

IMO: B :grin:
Manager
Manager
P
Re: Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 04:35
generis wrote:

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Source: Manhattan Prep

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

In simple terms, the intended meaning of the sentence is Rousseau's canvases established him as an icon.
It is not the artist that was considered aesthetically primitive - therefore, A and C are wrong.
The original sentence says that Rousseau became an iconic figure. Rousseau is the icon.
D says the "style" was iconic. E says that the "canvases... are icons." C also says that the style was an icon.
Only B maintains A's original meaning here: Rousseau is the icon.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 18:28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 03:42

A) Henri Rousseau has become an iconic figure of Post-Impressionism for his dream-like canvases painted like he was naive. --> "considered ill-formed and primitive" should modify canvases, not Henri Rousseau

B) Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism. --> correct

D) Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism. --> contrast is lost: "Though considered ill-formed, canvases were painted": no contrast

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 01:38
This question is ambiguous.

Option D says that the style became iconic (which is not wrong). How are we to know that the real intended meaning of this sentence was to try and portray Henri as an icon?

Considering D to be wrong would mean that we a biased after reading the original sentence
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 20:50
generis wrote:

smlprkh wrote:
This question is ambiguous.

Option D says that the style became iconic (which is not wrong). How are we to know that the real intended meaning of this sentence was to try and portray Henri as an icon?

Considering D to be wrong would mean that we a biased after reading the original sentence

smlprkh , very perceptive. +1 Really excellent work.

The slightest logical detail—one that I will now include in the OE above—separates B from D.

That said, if a test-taker were to see a question whose answer turned on a detail
that is as logically sophisticated as this detail is, then the test-taker would be doing very well on the Verbal section.

Straight up? I can defend the choice of B over D, but to do so I must split hairs
in a way that I highly doubt the GMAT would require.

• Stylistically, B is slightly better than D

Gah. I did not catch the potential ambiguity because the way that D is constructed
is not as good, stylistically, as B is.

But that level of stylistic differentiation, described briefly below, is too high.
I highly doubt that the GMAT would test style at that level.

--"iconic of" is not wrong, but the phrase is usually used in a
comparative sense, this way:
Coca-Cola is the most iconic of American beverages.
(If you are an American Pepsi fan? Humor me? :cool: )

-- "was later iconic of" is clumsy.
was later recognized as iconic of is better, stylistically,
but even so, I think (B) is better.

-- stylistically, X established Y as an icon of Z is more idiomatic
than W was later iconic of Z

I stress: I believe that this level of stylistic differentiation is beyond what GMAT requires.

• Logically, (B) is slightly better than (D).

-- Compare:

B) Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, Henri Rousseau's canvases, painted in a naive, dream-like style, later established the artist as an icon of Post-Impressionism.

D) Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, Henri Rousseau's canvases were painted in a naive, dream-like style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism.

• Modifier issues: in option D, does considered ill-formed and primitive also modify style?
As is not the case in B, I have to stop and think about the sequence.

The modifier in D, though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive, must modify canvases.

Considered is a past participle.
-- The introductory part is a participial phrase (a verbED),
not a subordinate clause (which would have a subject and a verb).
-- If a past participle comes in an introductory phrase, it modifies the immediately following subject.
-- stated differently, a verbED modifier followed by a comma at the beginning of the sentence modifies the
subject of the subsequent clause. The subject is canvases.

In (D), then, considered ill-formed and primitive modifies canvases.
True, those canvases were painted in a style that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism.

I am not convinced that considered modifies style.
The subject modified by the past participle is canvases, not the style in which the canvases were painted.

On the other side of the equation, the that-clause is an essential modifier of style.
We cannot remove a modifier beginning with that.
So "that was later iconic of Post-Impressionism" goes with style.

We have what seems to be a weird split in topics.
-- The canvases were considered ill-formed and primitive.
-- But the style in which they were painted "was later iconic of."
Though initially considered P and Q (bad), the canvases were painted . . . in a style that was later iconic (good)
Initially, canvases are bad . . . style was later good?

At the least (see below), this logic is not as clean or sequential as that in (B).

• WAS later iconic of
Let's say that I do not separate the canvases from the style.

The verb was in was later bothers me.
The style was the style the moment that the paint dried.
I understand that the sentence intends to convey
that the style later came to be recognized as iconic of Post-Impressionism.

But (D) does not say came to be recognized as.
D says that the style was later iconic of.
The style did not change. The style was created during Post Impressionism.
The style that was then-painted was later iconic of the period in which it was painted?

My head hurts.

Option (B), by contrast, has a clean sequence.
Although initially Rousseau''s canvases were considered ill-formed and primitive, later they established Rousseau as an icon.
Initially ill-perceived canvases nonetheless later established the artist as an icon.

• Conclusion

I think that (B) is better by a hair's width or two.

But your point is a good one. Nice work.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 23:24
generis "We have what seems to be a weird split in topics.
-- The canvases were considered ill-formed and primitive.
-- But the style in which they were painted "was later iconic of."
Though initially considered P and Q (bad), the canvases were painted . . . in a style that was later iconic (good)
Initially, canvases are bad . . . style was later good?

At the least (see below), this logic is not as clean or sequential as that in (B)."

this level of clarity and explanation by you gives me confidence that no answer choice is awkward or wordy ... the answer is clearly wrong for some crucial point !! the bold part is what amazed me. Extremely subte shift in topic which does not fit the author's emphasis well !! kudos to you !!!
GMAT Club Bot
Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 23:24

Though formerly considered ill-formed and primitive Henri Rousseau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics