GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 07:49

R1 Decisions:

HBS Chat - Decisions at Noon ET  |  HaaS Chat  HaaS calling admits |  Darden Chat  |  YouTube Live with Cornell @11am ET

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Dec 2018, 07:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:59) correct 16% (01:03) wrong based on 499 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project CR Butler:Day 28:Critical Reasoning (CR1)

For all CR butler Questions Click Here

To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-level government officials from accepting positions as lobbyists for three years after such officials leave government service. One such official concluded, however, that such a prohibition would be unfortunate because it would prevent high-level government officials from earning a livelihood for three years.

The official’s conclusion logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Laws should not restrict the behavior of former government officials.

(B) Lobbyists are typically people who have previously been high-level government officials.

(C) Low-level government officials do not often become lobbyists when they leave government service.

(D) High-level government officials who leave government service are capable of earning a livelihood only as lobbyists.

(E) High-level government officials who leave government service are currently permitted to act as lobbyists for only three years.
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: CR 8
Page: 500

Originally posted by xmagedo on 25 Jun 2010, 05:08.
Last edited by gmat1393 on 03 Dec 2018, 07:42, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 06:41
I think the answer is D.

The first statement proposes this idea: High level government officials can't take up jobs as lobbyists for three years after leaving the service.

Counter argument: This would render them jobless.

So if you put these two statements together, what do you think the meaning conveyed is? The fact that prevention of these high level officials from taking up a lobbyist position for three years would render them jobless.

What is the underlying tone saying? That they don't have any other livelihood source.

Now look at the options:

A. This is not even directly related to the statement - Wrong
B. This is partially true and can be confusing, but by saying lobbyists were previously high level officials, it's not really saying that all high level officials were only lobbyists. They might have had other opportunities. - Wrong
C. Talking about low level officials doesn't prove anything to us since our argument is based on what these high level officials do or don't do once they leave the government - Wrong
D. This is the most relevant answer. It says high level officials can only become lobbyists after leaving the service. The argument in question says the new rule will render these officials jobless. It matches up. - Correct (But let's look at the last option just in case)
E. This doesn't make any logical sense either. If they're only permitted to act as lobbyists for three years, what's the point of bringing the new rule? In either case, this doesn't serve to be the assumption for the argument the official proposed. - Wrong

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 06:43
IMO "D".

If the conclusion is that P leads to C , then the assumption will be that C cant be achieved throuh any other mean.

So the conclusion in our problem that high level officials will be prevented from earning a livelihood for 3 years, our assumption will be that there is no other mean to earn a livelihood (for a gov official) other than being a lobbyist. Hence "D".

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 07:02
A. Laws should not restrict the behavior of former government officials.
--This piece of information is not supporting the conclusion. The argument is not about the behavior of the government officials. Hence A cannot be correct answer choice.

B. Lobbyists are typically people who have previously been high-level government officials.
-- This has been already stated in premise. It cannot be an assumption. Hence B is not a correct answer choice.

C. Low-level government officials do not often become lobbyists when they leave government service.
--Discussion is about high-level officials. This piece of information is irrelevant to the author's conclusion. Hence C cannot be correct answer choice.

D. High-level government officials who leave government service are capable of earning a livelihood only as lobbyists.
--If this piece of information is true, then and then only author will be able to reach to his conclusion. Hence D is a correct answer choice.

One such official concluded, however,
since high-level officials who leave government service are capable of earning a livelihood only as lobbyists, such a prohibition would be unfortunate because it would prevent high-level government officials from earning a livelihood for three years.

E. High-level government officials who leave government service are currently permitted to act as lobbyists for only three years.
--This information is stated in premise. Hence it cannot be an assumption. Hence E is a not a correct answer choice.

Please let us the know the OA. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 20:32
IMO D :)
@xmagedo : You can easily check it out by negating the options. Once you negate option D. i.e lobbying is not the only source of livelihood for High Govt Officials, the argument falls apart.
I hope, it helps.

@Akhil: Once again, nice and descriptive explanation by you. Well Done !!

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 03:16
thanks for the help guys
but IS there anyway I can find out the answer without writing the argument on a rugh paper?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 06:34
can someone help me solve this via the Negation technique?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 06:47
paidlukkha wrote:
can someone help me solve this via the Negation technique?

Conclusion : Such a prohibition would be unfortunate because it would prevent high-level government officials from earning a livelihood for three years.

=> It assumes that being a lobbyists is the ONLY way to earn a livelihood.

Negation Technique for Choice D :

Lets say we say High-level government officials who leave government service are capable of earning a livelihood in some other way as well. This would mean official conclusion is shattered as there is some other way to earn the livelihood. Hence, if negating a statement shatters the conclusion, it is the Best choice for the assumption. Hence answer is D.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 04:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 04:46

To prevent some conflicts of interest, Congress could prohibit high-le

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap