Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Too many questions for a 680 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Questions:
1. GMAT: I can see the off-balance in Quants and verbal in the score. Considering I get a 6 in essays and a good score in TOEFL, would this still threaten the chances of admission? Are 680/800 and 65% verbal really bad scores? Do you recommend me to retake the exam? I am confident of improving the verbal, but am concerned about the consequence if the Quants score drops to 85% next time. In that case, would the adcoms consider the latest scores or the best scores? Is there a preference to the way the individual scores are considered - like overall, then Quants, then Verbal ;), and then essays score? Would my client experience (presentations skill and special mention in the recos) justify that verbal defieciency?
2. Reco: Should I try and get in touch with my NIT professors to get a reco, now. I am sure one of them would do that for me. Also, is a reco for the indian 1.5 years experience recommended?
3. Schools: Which colleges do you think are stretch, competetive and safety - to my current score and interest? Are Kellog, Chicago, Sloan, Michigan and alike out of reach too? Is there any school that you would suggest for good scholarship programs?
4. Finance: How do non-residents manage the finance? If I decide to go full time, I would loose my job and current salary. I understand some of the top colleges cost from 60-100K for two years. In the worst case when one doesn't get any scholarship, how many years does he normally take to pay back the finance loan?
5. Scholarship: I understand most schools consider all the applicants for scholarships. Is there anything I can do to enahnce the chances of getting a college scholarship? Also, is there any private scholarships (I've heard of Rhodes') that I can try my hands at?
6. Sponsorship: Historically, the MNC that I work with sponsors MS programs for employees, since it considers this a career advancement. It has not yet seen a case requesting an MBA sponsorship. But, I am planning to make a request to the directors and VPs that I work with, asking them to sponsor my MBA and in return I would come back and work with the company for n (say 3 or 5) more years after graduation. Would this work and have you heard of such cases? Also, when is the best time to make such a request?

Thanks for reading till this line :) and for your replies. Sorry again for the long post, but I wanted to be clear. :)

Thanks,
Hardworker[/quote]

To answer your questions:

1) A high score on the AWA and the TOEFL, plus strong essays, recs, and interviews would possibly mitigate the low verbal score enough at the top schools, given your experience and advancement, to allow your acceptance. But there is a risk. The best and most certain way to deal with it, especially for an Indian IT guy, is to raise the verbal score. Frankly, I think you would be better off with a 80% on verbal and 85% on math than what you have now. And in addition, the schools would see that you earned a 95% on the Q earlier.

My advice is particularly valid for schools with average GMATs of 700+. It is increasingly invalid as the average scores for the school declines. So your decision as to retake depends on the schools you want to apply to.

2) Business school prefer professional recs. Don't ask your profs. Since you have lots of options for recs from your work experience during the last four years in the US, I would not go back to the Indian experience because it is old.

3 -5) I'm sorry. I don't advise on financial aid. I do know that Darden has a strong financial aid program for internationals. I think CMU does too.

You may also be interested in InternationalStudentLoan.com

6) There are definitely employers who sponsor students in exchange for a commitment to work for X years at the company. I believe X is normally 2-3 years, but don't quote me on that. I don't know when is the best time to do so.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot Hjort and Linda. That really helps me to start-with. I was lost and confused before. I am going to analyze a retake, meanwhile working on recos and leadership/NGO works.

If I retake, I am planning to write again in Feb 2005, allowing 3 months for preperation. I am sure to pass 80% in verbal, if I retake. It will require more dedication, but am up for it.

Thanks a lot for the help. Useful advise for guys like me, who has the least exposure.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]